User Tag List

Thread: Aussie Blown Engine Thread

1. Default Aussie Blown Engine Thread

I think we need to start one of these here and I will go first. Would like to hear circumstances of other blown motors and from what I hear there are a few. This can only benefit the broader community so please give details here (Just the facts folks).

Cosmic3MPS:
    After cruising for around 3 hours on the highway slowed down to go through a small town. Accelerating back up in 5th leaving town, boom! Only gentle acceleration. The carnage was massive. Fist sized hole through the block, litres of oil through the exhaust, melted piston and sundry other shrapnel went through the turbo.

EVENT:
    Tank full of BP Ultimate (98 octane)
    50/50 water/ meth mix
    Cruising for around 3 hours on the highway
    Slowed down to go through a small town
    Gentle acceleration back up to speed in 5th leaving town (95 to 100 kmh)
    No prior symptoms or problems, car running great
    No 4 piston (and to lesser extent No 3) massive failure (broken rod, melted piston)
    Fist sized hole through the block, oil through the exhaust and intercooler
    Shrapnel through the turbo

FIX:
    Replacement long block and turbo
    Time for repair 1 week
    Cost total $7k

ENGINE MODS:
    CPE TBE (high-flow cat)
    Forge BPV
    Mazdaspeed CAI
    Snow Stage 1 W/M Injection (injection starts at 4 psi boost and 2500 rpm)
    Xede Interceptor (18.5 psi, timing advance 5 degrees)
    PG V2 Turbo Mani
    COBB FMIC
    Dynoed at 233 kw atw

Last edited by Cosmic3MPS; 04-05-2009 at 01:32 AM.

Hi Guys,

have moved your posts over to the blown engine thread, lets keep this as a kind of register for blown engines and the circumstances, please feel free to discuss here
    http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/tech-...ne-theory.html

You have to add me to the list....

Was pushing the limits of the car on the Dyno and got it up to 24psi through the standback. Made ok power at 22psi, but let's just say I blew my clutch(stock flywheel seperated off the block), bent cylinder 4 rod and started to hear a knock.

Once it was went, the clutch pedal was vibrating consistently and it was very hard for it to engage a gear.

Took it straight off the dyno, did a compression test(no problems), then put it on a tow truck and to the workshop.

I'll have to say that i'm all to blame, I just really wanted to push it's limits! Lucky for me there was no damage to the block. If there was it would have been new block like Cosmic!

Engine Mods are:
    CorkSports FMIC + CAI
    TZR Fuel Pump
    CorkSports Dump Pipe
    Custom 3" Cat
    CorkSports Cat Back
    Turbosmart BOV
    CPE Standback + PNP

In all seriousness, the engine internals can't handle more than 18-19psi consistently. If your pulling huge power, then I would seriously consider cutting back on the boost if you want to get away without a engine rebuild.
    Last edited by lazydog; 30-01-2010 at 11:53 PM.
    CorkSport FMIC with Cold Air Induction, , Cork Sport Cat Back, CPE Standback with PNP, TurboSmart BOV, Custom Highflow Cat with CorkSports Downpipe,Pauter Rods, CP Pistons,ARP Head Studs, BIGGER TURBO COMING, Pre-ordered a Stage 3 CPE Engine.