User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cobb AP Tuning in Melbourne

Quote Originally Posted by RX8 Specialties View Post
    Hi Grumpy,
    Latest release from Mazda edit covers Gen2
    I use both Mazda Edit and Cobb Accessport as you get the best of both worlds. I have customers with CX-7's chasing improved fuel economy and Mazda edit supports the platform with Torque reduction tables etc.
    cheers Tim
    That is good news, they should update their website then, they are loosing customers!

I am also keeping a close eye on these software developments as I have tuned my Evo and will probably be doing the same with the Mazda. Single tunes from workshops are too generic and costly imho.
    Cheers

Grumpy

Tuned with
    By Alex...........

Default Cobb AP Tuning in Melbourne

Great info and questions/concerns keep them coming its good to get this out there for the mps community! I think I'll be seeing Tim once I finish a couple of things so will definitely report on dyno graphs etc if all goes to plan.

Default Re: Cobb AP Tuning in Melbourne

Quote Originally Posted by Jmac View Post
    No brownie points for condescending posts

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
    It's not quite what you think, the DISI engine in our cars have a heap of weird ECU quirks, many of which are encountered only under certain conditions.... (recent load cap V2 being a big one, which required manipulation of DBW tables)

MSF has shown consistently that their e-tuners, who focus solely on our engines, will often get smoother results, more power and torque, than "professional" workshops...

Hell, even Cobb themselves throw out predictable results when someone goes to their workshops with xyz mods.

Quote Originally Posted by Jmac View Post
    Tim has used it before... He tunes cars for a living as well and I'm sure there are more elaborate devices out there for different applications. This isn't msf... Vendors don't get to go around pooping on everyone lol.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
    MSF vendors don't get to either
    If they screw up the community, they get their "couch f*cked"
    We're far more lenient than they are
    Last edited by SarcasticOne; 30-10-2012 at 10:58 PM.
    Newbie FAQ My Build Thread
    From stock, to GT3071, to substantially less modded, many lessons learned!
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

4. Default

Jmac,
    Not my intention to be condescending. I apologize to Tim if it came across that way.

SarcasticOne,
    You are correct. It’s important for the community to know how difficult it can be to learn this platform. Some of us e-tuners work directly with Cobb to resolve these issues. Most recently the WGDC targeting issue for some Gen 2 cars when over 80% IDC. In addition the boost and load tuning logic has become more accurate. We are currently pushing Cobb to come up with an Anti-Lag launch control option opposed to the current two step configuration (for BT cars so they can build more boost).

You are also correct about the vendors. I am a vendor on MSF and as of today will be one here. We have to follow rules just like everyone else. The vendors that **** over people on MSF get crusified and don't last long...as I hope they would here.
    Cobb AP w/RichTune | NATOR D.C. FMIC | 3" ATP MAF | Autotech HPFP internals | HKS SSQV2 | Ebay DP | Mazdaspeed SRI | PG TIP | Denso ITV22 | PTP Intake Gasket | Prosport OCC | Prosport Gauges | TWM Bushings | NATOR D.C. SS | SU RMM | CP-e RDM | Whiteline RSB | Megan Springs w/Drag Bags | AutoExe Strut Tower Bar
    Worlds fastest stock tubro MPS
    12.263 @ 112 mph 1.669 60'
    243 kW 538 Nm

Quote Originally Posted by SarcasticOne View Post
    It's not quite what you think, the DISI engine in our cars have a heap of weird ECU quirks, many of which are encountered only under certain conditions.... (recent load cap V2 being a big one, which required manipulation of DBW tables)

MSF has shown consistently that their e-tuners, who focus solely on our engines, will often get smoother results, more power and torque, than "professional" workshops...

Hell, even Cobb themselves throw out predictable results when someone goes to their workshops with xyz mods.

MSF vendors don't get to either
    If they screw up the community, they get their "couch f*cked"
    We're far more lenient than they are

Im not denying the fact its complicated.
    All I am saying is these guys do it for a living, its a motor, they all have their quirks, they deal with it on a day to day basis. Yeah ATR may look big and scary but so does the inside of a server when ive had to diagnose a fault, or the back of a comms rack that some arsehole has not labelled etc etc. Neither of us are tuners .
    I dont believe this car is any harder or easier than another to tune, its more so the fact that it does not have a history... We aint running the only DI mill on the block either.

Not entirely sure I believe many of the dyno numbers from the states, most of the graphs I have seen have been exaggerated.

Quote Originally Posted by richierichness View Post
    Jmac,
    Not my intention to be condescending. I apologize to Tim if it came across that way.

SarcasticOne,
    You are correct. It’s important for the community to know how difficult it can be to learn this platform. Some of us e-tuners work directly with Cobb to resolve these issues. Most recently the WGDC targeting issue for some Gen 2 cars when over 80% IDC. In addition the boost and load tuning logic has become more accurate. We are currently pushing Cobb to come up with an Anti-Lag launch control option opposed to the current two step configuration (for BT cars so they can build more boost).

You are also correct about the vendors. I am a vendor on MSF and as of today will be one here. We have to follow rules just like everyone else. The vendors that **** over people on MSF get crusified and don't last long...as I hope they would here.
    All good, its a different state of mind over here!
    MY16 WRX STi Crystal White Pearl
    -= Rally Armour Flaps - 2XS Muffler Delete =-

FG FPV F6 MKII Vixen - SOLD
    -= Bluepower SRI - ID1000 Injectors - Venom Cat - XCAL3 - ProcessWest Stg2 Intercooler - 359 RWKW=-

CX9 Grand Touring Stormy Blue
    -= The rolling armchair =-

6 MPS Velocity Red - SOLD
    -=Cat Back Exhaust - Pirelli PZero=-

3 MPS Aurora Blue - SOLD
    -=PG SRI - PG Inlet - ETS TMIC - GFB Hybrid BOV - Best Mufflers DP - Eibach Pro - AccessPort STG2 - Autotech HPFP - ITV22 - Michelin PSS=-

6. Default

[QUOTE=richierichness;236403]Jmac,

It's all good Richie didn't take offense to your comments ( I have broad shoulders) besides it's all part of the conversation and you raise very good points.
    The tables are complex at times and one thing I have learn't that sometimes don't try to understand everything (you'll go crazy) as it does'nt always have any bearing on the outcome.
    In my view the more the topic is discussed the better it is for everyone and should never been turned into us against them. I would like to think we're all trying to achieve the same thing!!!!
    Keep your thoughts coming it is intersting reading
    cheers Tim

Hi. I drive Gen1 2008 3MPS and Tim from RX8 Specialties has tuned Access Port in it on the dyno. The result was 175 kw atw at around 16psi . Also pick power is excellent and pretty flat between 5800-6700 rpm so I can rev my car to red line. My car has only got Cork Sport TIP, K&N filter panel in a standard air box but the factory snorkel intake is removed so the hole is around 2 and a quarter inch instead of just 2 inch. Also I run HDI GT2 FMIC intercooler kit and 98 octane Caltex fuel, 225/45/18 Dunlop direzza Sport Z1 tires, Koni Sports (yellows). The tune done by Tim is very safe and feels and performs very well on the street. Because the car is fwd it was tuned in a way that the power comes in smoothly in a midrange rpm to minimize wheel spin from the torqe. AND IT DOES WORK. My car can put down almost all the power in 1-st gear in dry. Second gear is no problem at all. First to second gear as long as it is not flat changed no problem either. Engine revs smoother than with the factory tune, cold start, hot start, air conditioning, idle , hot and cold weather all perfect. If you have any questions please call me Paul 0422162930. If I knew how to display my dyno sheet on this forum I would do it.

My dyno print out 2008 Mazda 3 MPS (hoping this will work)Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0002.jpg 
Views:	272 
Size:	261.8 KB 
ID:	12917. This is tuned at 16psi. I was getting similar top end power on Stage 1 98 octane (ver 231) on 19 psi when my car was not custom tuned, however it didn't drive well, didn't rev out that high and it drank a lot more fuel. With off the shelf tune it didn't pull hard up to 3000 rpm and than all torque (not power) came in too hard with wheel spin that was hard to control. With the custom tune from Tim at RX8 Specialties the bottom end and midrange power is still a lot better than factory but it's controllable and progressive with very good top end all the way to the redline.

9. Default

Hey Paul g did tim give you a custom tune from scratch. Or did you already have the AP then tune. might take the my gen1 to him once all my mods are on

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12