User Tag List

Thread: Dan's Garage - 2012 Honda Civic - Red

Default Dan's Garage - 2012 Honda Civic - Red

This is a newly-delivered Honda Civic. The owner picked it up in the last week or so. It had come in for a correction and Opti-Coat.

The car as presented:

Lots of metal particulate contamination for a new car:

Hard to tell, but IronX was picking up a fair bit on the paint also. Obviously from rail transport and/or sitting in a yard:

Post-chem decontamination foam:

Brushwork in the intricate areas (of which this new model Civic has a few):

Two bucket wash, then dry and clay. Then onto paint inspection.

Scratch at the top of the driver's rear door:

Polish stains on all the plastics:

Scratches in the textured plastic guard:

Buffer trails galore over the car:

As well as a reasonable amount of swirling and light scratching for a week-old car:

Roof post-correction. Single stage using black CCS:

Caff Mobile Mk1 - 2010 Aluminum Gen II | 2XS SRI | H&R Lowered Springs | cpe 75 Duro Engine Mount | Whiteline Rear Swaybar | Moog "Problem Solver" Rear Endlinks | 3M Carbon Black Tint | Lakin Custom Plates | Opti-Coat Paint Protection | Paint Correction by Me - SOLD

Caff Mobile Mk2 - 2008 BMW Z4M Coupe - Sapphire Black Metallic | Stock....for now

Panel shots. Post correction:

Scratch at top of driver's side rear door corrected out entirely:

Post Opti-Coat pics:

- - - Updated - - -

Some final outdoor shots:

Caff Mobile Mk1 - 2010 Aluminum Gen II | 2XS SRI | H&R Lowered Springs | cpe 75 Duro Engine Mount | Whiteline Rear Swaybar | Moog "Problem Solver" Rear Endlinks | 3M Carbon Black Tint | Lakin Custom Plates | Opti-Coat Paint Protection | Paint Correction by Me - SOLD

Caff Mobile Mk2 - 2008 BMW Z4M Coupe - Sapphire Black Metallic | Stock....for now

based on how quickly you posted these photos, looks like was a pretty quick clean
    felt the need to post this:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	VTEC.JPG 
Views:	177 
Size:	64.0 KB 
ID:	12766

cant really see the difference as much in this car, but im sure it's up to your usual excellent work
    lots of annoying niggly bits
    Newbie FAQ My Build Thread
    From stock, to GT3071, to substantially less modded, many lessons learned!
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

Default Re: Dan's Garage - 2012 Honda Civic - Red

Hahahah

This one, besides the Opti-Coat was mainly an exercise in fixing the dealer detailer's mistakes.

Every panel had machine-induced buffer trails (holograms). These are caused by not finishing down the paintwork properly. Think in terms of sanding a surface. In order to get the best result you start at the coarser grades and work your way to the finer grades until the surface is nice and smooth. This is the same sort of thing, but in this case, the dealer detailer stopped when he should have "finished down" to a finer grade. As a result the paint surface had polishing marks in it (buffer trails) that should have been removed.

Honda paint is also very soft, so extremely prone to swirls, so it's more of a challenge to work with this sort of paint as treating it like any other Japanese car will not work.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Default Dan's Garage - 2012 Honda Civic - Red

Awesome work... As usual!!

Is there any clear on this flat?

Ps: ugliest... civic... ever!

Sent from my iPhone

Default Re: Dan's Garage - 2012 Honda Civic - Red

Thanks mate.

Yep definitely clear coated. But it's not a tinted clear like previous red Civics. Honda learned their lesson there it seems.

Shouldn't be any issues with fading on this one (nor with the previous model).

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2