User Tag List

Thread: Cold Start problems on a stock MPS6

Default Cold Start problems on a stock MPS6

My stock MPS6 with 119 000 km on it is now having problems with cold starts (first starts of the day, or when work has finished).

It takes it's time to turn over, and when it does there are a lot of little exhuast pop sounds coming out the rear until the revs settle down for idle.....

When the car is warm it turns over quickly with spluttering exhuast sounds at all.

As the car only has the issue when it is cold, could this be a sensor issue? Anybody have any ideas?

Cheers,

Andy.

battery?

spark plugs changed lately?

The plugs were done 40 000km ago. The battery wouldn't be much more than 1.5 years old. I've noticed that turning the ignition on half way so the fuel pump starts up and waiting about ten seconds before totally engaging the ignition turns the car over quicker. It starts fine when the motor isn't dead cold.

5. Default

Check the gapping on your plugs. You should also clean your MAF sensor. I do this at every oil change. You should also check for a boost leak if your fuel trims are off. If you have a DashHawk or Cobb AccessPORT you should check LTFT at idle. Anything -+ 10 means you prob have a boost leak.

Could always get a battery load test to see if your battery is starting to fail, clean the terminals while you're there! Also test your starter if you have time.

I haven't had a chance to check the plug gaps or have the battery tested yet.

I did check out the terminals for any corrosion and made sure they were tight.

I have found an additional/related? problem. When idiling there appears to be a loose rattling chain noise (not too loud yet, It also sounds a little bit like a water pump on its way out). I did an oil change to see if bad oil was the cause but it hasn't made the noise go away. The car has just hit 120 000 km and I noticed that the service schedule mentions to check valve timing adjustment....

Could this chain or VVT issue be related to the hard cold starts?

Has anyone had the timing chain and or VVT fixed/replaced?

8. Default Cold Start problems on a stock MPS6

If you hear a metal grinding for a split second when you do a cold start its likely your VVT. It's common and I've had this replaced before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

was reading random things and some people have had start up problems when the EGR is becoming blocked. Never know

How-To clean your 1st Gen Mazdaspeed 3 EGR - Mazdaspeed Forums

How are you getting on with this andy?

No luck yet. I'm getting a diagnostics done at a dealer on Wednesday.

Apparently there are no unusual noises coming from the motor so good news there. They said, 'it sounds like every other MPS.' They did a diagnostic and battery load test and found no problems. It was starting for them fine turning over quickly. I explained to them that it needed to be dead cold for it to labour when cranking.

They did an ECU update for me and it seems to be a bit smoother. However since I got it back from them the motor surges at idle when the aircon is on. I think it just needs to sought itself out after having the battery terminals off??

However some bad news, they found that one of the boots on the tailshaft has a split in it causing grease to come out. They didn't indicate it as being a big problem yet. They said however that the don't replace the boots, and only order the complete tailshaft ($3043.05 fitted). The tailshaft (propshaft) can be purchased from the US at around 1200 (excluding shipping) Online Mazda Parts

I haven't had a chance to take a look at it yet, has anyone had a tailshaft boot rubber split before?