User Tag List

Thread: Noisy brakes... Please help

1. Default Noisy brakes... Please help

Hi all,

2 months ago I had the front discs & pads replaced on my 08 MPS 3. I noticed that when cold, the brakes would be quiet but once they warmed up they squealed like a bus. I thought I'd leave it for a few weeks to see if it went away but it didn't, so I took it back to the workshop and they tried re-fitting them but with no success.

They replaced them under warranty with a different type of pad but alas, the squealing continues. I'm loathed to take it back to them as I've been there 3 times already so I'm just wondering, could it be that it's just an issue with the setup of the braking system on these machines and that it is common for the brakes to be noisy?

If you can share some of your experiences i'd be grateful, the noise is driving me insane!

Thanks

did they reinstall the anti-squeal shims? what pads did you get? I have remsa pads and they squeal when warm but only during slow braking (coming to stand still)

What pads & rotors are they? The Remsa pads I have are dead silent. From my experience brake squeal is mostly to do with the pad compound you're using than anything else but if it's a mazda standard brake pad then I don't know what it could be.

I gave up long ago on the squeal that my racing brakes make.

Mine squeal all the time, can hardly hear it when windows are up. When there hot there ok :P.. Mine squeal at low KPH around 60kph without my foot on the brake and to light braking, once your braking/normal pulling up no noise

5. Default

Thanks for the replies guys, they installed DBA slotted rotors and Bendix pads as the replacement for the first lot they installed (not sure of the brand of those). I've heard of these brands before, I think they are fairly common? They guy said to me that they were standard pads for the MPS.

@lup15 & Reedy - Not sure about the anti-squeal shims. I'm assuming they would have fitted them considering I've complained about the squealing twice. Would you recommend the Remsa pads?
    @RedDjinn - It's weird, mine is doing the exact opposite to yours! When cold they are fine, when warm they are shocking!

Sounds like a bit of a mixed bag regarding everyone's experience with squealing. I've only had the car for just over a year and when I first bought it, the squealing was there but I knew that the brakes were running low so I just thought that was why they were noisy. Having previously owned a WRX for 6 years and never having an issue with the brakes, I'm starting to think it might just be an MPS thing.

Is it meant to get better over time? Do they need bedding time? The way they are now I cannot put up with! =(

I run DBA slotted rotors and Bendix Pads on my 06 MPS 3, been on for about 2 years now and not a noise from the install to this day.

One thing interesting is that Bendix didn't make a pad for this model at the time and due to reasons I won't go into, ended up putting Volvo C30 pads in as they are the same brakes.

As they had two pins on the back of the pad which the MPS doesn't, these were ground off and installed with brake paste, the pads were about 2 mm thinner than MPS pads but have worked brilliantly and virtually no dust since install.

I'd check with Bendix if they now make a pad for our model, because when I got an email back after i inquired they told me that they didn't.

hope this helps
    I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal.........Groucho Marx

my remsa pads/dba 4000 rotors squeal like a mf'er when coming to a stop slowly (after they are heated up)..

Im running DBA T3 4000 and QFM SuperX pads and am getting the same result.
    VERY VERY annoying!

Thinking of looking into Bendix pads.

Here's a great way to bed in brakes. It should take away some of the noise, if not all of it.
    How to Bed-in Brake Pads and Rotors - YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by raymondato View Post
    my remsa pads/dba 4000 rotors squeal like a mf'er when coming to a stop slowly (after they are heated up)..
    yep exactly the same with my Remsa, but I just attribute that to them being heated up. when braking under normal conditions they dont squeal

I suspect the problem is a size mismatch between the pads and rotors. Slotted rotors should pretty much never squeal, through virtue of what causes break squeal and how slots work.

Those with this or similar combinations that have squeals should check around the inside and outside wear radius of the rotor and see if the pad is contacting part of the rotor surface it shouldn't. There have been issues with some pads being too wide for some rotors.

Anyone who is running flat sided pads, take them off and chamfer the front/rear edges. This will reduce some of the squeak.

12. Default

Thanks for the continued feedback guys, really appreciate it. The info you've supplied is fantastic, some of it is a little over my head I must admit but much appreciated nonetheless!

@TylerAtCorkSport Awesome link mate, haven't had a chance to watch all of it yet as it's 25 mins long but I'll definitely go through it tomorrow. Hopefully it'll solve my problem, cheers.

I'll keep everyone posted... I'm determined to get it right!

Default Re: Noisy brakes... Please help

Quote Originally Posted by TylerAtCorkSport View Post
    Here's a great way to bed in brakes.
    Thanks for the vid @TylerAtCorkSport

Sent from my Huge Samsung Note 2
    Redbull is DEAD!!

Long live the Redbull ... V2

I re-bed my brakes on each of my cars every 6 months or so. Usually right before I do my spring details and my winter preps... Also, bed the brakes the same way on my Harley at the beginning of every riding season. Anyone can have a fast car, but you need to be able to stop. That's more important in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by TylerAtCorkSport View Post
    I re-bed my brakes on each of my cars every 6 months or so. Usually right before I do my spring details and my winter preps... Also, bed the brakes the same way on my Harley at the beginning of every riding season. Anyone can have a fast car, but you need to be able to stop. That's more important in my opinion.
    Brembo BBK FTW lol
    Many want Power not many hold it long.........

16. Default

Hey guys, just an update on my break issue and I'm happy to report that... there's nothing but good news!

I decided to get a second opinion from a place down the road & they couldn't figure out what brand pad was on my car. There was no reference on the pad which seemed strange so they recommended that I contact the installer again and find out which pad they put in.

I emailed the installer asking for confirmation and received no reply. After a couple of days, I got a phone call from them asking if I still had the issue and they offered to replace the pads AGAIN but with a Bendix pad this time. I mentioned that I was told a Bendix pad was already in the car but they said that was not the case. When I asked what brand pad was on the car I got no response which leads me to believe that they've put in some 'generic' brand type pad. Safe to say I wasn't happy but agreed to get them replaced at no extra expense, third time lucky right?

Anyways, they installed Bendix DB1658 front pads and thankfully the noise has COMPLETELY GONE! It's only been 5 days since the install but so far, so good. I did a bit of research on the pad and they are the same pad that the XR5 Turbo's use. Although it's been a long road and I'll never take my car back to that workshop again, I'm glad the issue has finally been resolved and I can enjoy driving my car in peace and quiet!!!

In short, if you are like me and use your car as a daily driver, are easy on the brakes and want something quiet then I highly recommend these Bendix pads. Not sure if they would be suitable for track purposes though.

Anyways, sorry for the long-winded response but hopefully my experience will help others down the track.

Thanks to all who have contributed in this thread, much appreciated

Good to hear mate, makes sense that XR5 Turbo Pads fit the MPS 3 since the Braking system is FoMoCo lol, i totally forgot this and well i got HPX's coming and I'm hoping noises aren't to bad.