User Tag List

Thread: Bpv broken?

Default Bpv broken?

Hey guys,

I don't know how this happened but I just saw this now. Maybe I placed pressure on it without realizing and snap! Pardon my ignorance, but I don't know what this tube does or where it goes, is it anything major? Can I still drive like that?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1350721444.423249.jpg 
Views:	200 
Size:	53.5 KB 
ID:	12718

JBR Short Shift plate, JBR Solid Bushing, 18" Black with Silver Lip Ox Wheel, CS SRI, CS TIP, CS Airbox, 3" Double Walled exhaust TIP,
    RDA front & rear slotted rotors, Remsa pads
    , CS Rear Sway Bar, JBR rear engine mount and transmission mount

Default Re: Bpv broken?

Damn. Yeah you can't drive like that. That's the vacumm hose that opens the bpv. If you clamp the hose and stay off boost you should be ok but only do it if you have to. Looks like the perfect opportunity to upgrade.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Default Bpv broken?

I had a go at welding it back together, and it seems pretty sturdy now. I also melted some excess plastic on top. Hopefully should be enough for a short term solution.

Default Bpv broken?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1350727602.340496.jpg 
Views:	185 
Size:	47.3 KB 
ID:	12719

Looks funny, but it's actually got the vacuum tip stuck on very nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by ledfootrob View Post
    Damn. Yeah you can't drive like that. That's the vacumm hose that opens the bpv. If you clamp the hose and stay off boost you should be ok but only do it if you have to. Looks like the perfect opportunity to upgrade.

What does the "bpv" stand for mate? As far as I know that is a BOV, Blow Off Valve, was just curious why you call it that. @imiz89, you can drive it like that, just block off the vacuum line so you don't loose vacuum/boost out of it. You will however need to get it replaced, good time to buy a aftermarket one which will be better in any case.

If you drive too long without it, like in weeks, it will damage the thrust bearing/plate in the turbo, its main purpose is to release the build up pressure between the TB, Throttle body, and the turbo itself when you take your foot off the accelerator. That pressure causes axial load on the turbo's impeller and turbine shaft which wears out that before mentioned thrust plate

Hope that makes sense!
    Cheers

Grumpy

Tuned with
    By Alex...........

Default Bpv broken?

Sweet, thanks for that mate!
    Bpv= bypass valve? Air recirculated?
    Bov= blow out valve.

Well that's what I'm assuming or read on this forum, correct me if I'm wrong.

You are correct with either term :-)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
    What does the "bpv" stand for mate? As far as I know that is a BOV, Blow Off Valve, was just curious why you call it that. @imiz89, you can drive it like that, just block off the vacuum line so you don't loose vacuum/boost out of it. You will however need to get it replaced, good time to buy a aftermarket one which will be better in any case.

If you drive too long without it, like in weeks, it will damage the thrust bearing/plate in the turbo, its main purpose is to release the build up pressure between the TB, Throttle body, and the turbo itself when you take your foot off the accelerator. That pressure causes axial load on the turbo's impeller and turbine shaft which wears out that before mentioned thrust plate

Hope that makes sense!
    I never said anything about a BOV, though they both operate the same way only one VTA and one recirculates.

BPV = Bypass valve
    BOV = Blow Off valve.
    Both can serve to bypass some air back to turbo on throttle closure and partially vent to atmosphere as well (VTA).
    A BOV may also signify a capacity to vent fully to atmosphere.
    The designations and design can vary according to engine function (i.e. aviation, marine, etc - where some engine has far more stable rpm profiles than in auto motive use)

BTW, You could have made that repair with Araldite too.

Default Bpv broken?

Cheers for the correction