User Tag List

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Blown engine theory

Default Blown engine theory

2. Default

Just joined that club mate. I think it is the best info I have seen yet. See what happened to me over there

Just read the bad news Cosmic.. What are your plans from here...?

4. Default

All fixed. Up and running. I am not sure there is any way to protect yourself from what happened to me if the oil issue is for real. Running my tame map at the moment and will put in for a new Chiptorque Xede tune when back in Bris. In the meantime i will hope for the best. What amazed me is how much damage was done vs how gentle the acceleration was at the time. Bugger me what a mess!

What was the fix? New short block i gather, or whole motor replacement? Warranty or no warranty?

6. Default

Long block + turbo. I kissed the warranty goodbye a long time ago.

If you dont mind me asking, what was the cost of long motor and turbo? If you dont want to say, thats fine.

bugger dude but if i might say anything other then na does come in to the may break stage even stock.......... a mate has a wrx and just keeps having probs with stuff breaking...

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by VGP View Post
    If you dont mind me asking, what was the cost of long motor and turbo? If you dont want to say, thats fine.
    3600 for long block (16,000kms on it supposedly) which i thought was fairly good, 1600 for the turbo off the same motor, which is too much (cheaper than 3800 from Mazda though). Labour was 1400 and a really good job they did (Trulson's Mechanical Bundaberg). I can confirm the engine is good, no oil used and no smoking from the turbo. Just happy to be on the road and tinkering with the car again (spent the morning servicing the Forge).
    Last edited by Cosmic3MPS; 03-05-2009 at 12:10 PM.

Didnt consider building this replacement motor?

11. Default

Quote Originally Posted by magoo View Post
    Didnt consider building this replacement motor?
    For a nanosecond but it would have meant a lot more downtime and considering where I was I would have needed to move the car to more central location with the proper engineering shops and equipment. I still may do this but I would source an engine first, get the work done and then swap them over.

I believe from my daily ventures on the US boards (where I know you spend time also) that apart from a "poorly" built motor the consensus is that no properly built motor have gone bang.

Not sure on the labour cost, did you enquire pre new motor install?

13. Default

Crikey.

So that makes it 3 Flash vs 1 Xede boomski....

Cosmic mate, can you recall if there were any symptoms before the whole lot went up in smoke?

Think I'm going to order an Xede by-pass cable from chiptorque. It's time to de-tune the motor....
    Last edited by Wardski; 03-05-2009 at 04:39 PM.

14. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Wardski View Post
    Crikey.

Cosmic mate, can you recall if there were any symptoms before the whole lot went up in smoke?

Think I'm going to order an Xede by-pass cable from chiptorque. It's time to de-tune the motor....
    No, no warnings at all. Everything seemed ship shape and car was running great right up to the part where . . . Did the flash guys post up about that anywhere?

Crikey.

Where did you get your info regarding 3 for the Piasini?

I believe that the tune isnt the reason why these cars are popping. All eyes are looking at oiling and other internal design flaws. There are truck loads of Standback cars popped also. It seems the Interceptor vs Flash card is overplayed in the Boom game.
    08 VW GTI PIRELLI DSG - 1 OF 400
    S3 HEART WITH 229 kw OF APR GOODNESS

SOLD - 06 MPS3 / CPE CAI / CPE HKS BOV / CPE HV2 BELLMOUTH DUMP & METALLIC CAT / CPE MOUNT / COBB SUSPENSION / DBA SLOTTED ROTORS C/W HAWKS PADS

16. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic3MPS View Post
    No, no warnings at all. Everything seemed ship shape and car was running great right up to the part where . . . Did the flash guys post up about that anywhere?
    I think there was no warning either for the flash guys. I know one of them was driving at 40km/hr when the rod went thru the crank case and left an 80m oil slick all over the road. The damage that was done on that occasion was severe, warranting a totally new motor. He was lucky tho, as he got it replaced under warranty.

I'm really worried about mine now. I dont thrash it, but sounds like any modded 2.3ltr motor is a ticking bomb..

On the other hand, I'm very interested to see how the Targa MPS's go... They will be pushed to the limit in this race, and the motor internals are stock like ours.

---------- Post added at 05:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:09 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by magoo View Post
    Where did you get your info regarding 3 for the Piasini?

I believe that the tune isnt the reason why these cars are popping. All eyes are looking at oiling and other internal design flaws. There are truck loads of Standback cars popped also. It seems the Interceptor vs Flash card is overplayed in the Boom game.
    I agree with what you are saying to a point, however I'm 100% sure that having such mods push the 2.3ltr MZR to an early grave (accellerating the death, so as to speak), and I dont want mine blowing before I either trade it on the Evo X, or keep it for a project car (and for this i need the crank case and block to be in 1 piece - not several!)
    Last edited by Wardski; 03-05-2009 at 05:17 PM.

17. Default

On the other hand, I'm very interested to see how the Targa MPS's go... They will be pushed to the limit in this race, and the motor internals are stock like ours.
    Me too. Last two times the Xede was tuned on my car was not done at Chiptorque. 5 degree timing advance done out here may have been a little aggressive. I ran 19psi boost for nearly two years though without incident. The incident like mine and others seems unrelated to the kind of aggressive driving you see in Targa. I really don't expect anything to happen in that race but one never knows. I am hopeful that the culprit causing the explosions is being revealled at last. We may finally have a good solution to mod and build these things the right way. I am holding off doing anything further until the puzzle is solved. I am with you on changing cars. If it happens again I will be buying something that I can mod with confidence.

Not quite up to date with this one guys, so can anyone tell me with what sorts of mods are people starting to go boom?

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post

Nice one Doc.....someone needed to share this with people.....I've been a member over there for a while...and some of the threads almost bring a tear to my eye about how many of our modded engines have blown...hence why mine has stayed stock as a rock (under the bonnet that is) ...of course that doesnt keep me safe from the boom boom...but i dont recall reading about any stock engines blowing....yet!!!!

Ps i havent actually read the thread yet just the title.....so i could be mistaken on my last comment...off to read it now!!!
    Last edited by MISSMPS; 03-05-2009 at 06:51 PM.

20. Default

Sorry, no guarantees for safe level of mods or even stock vehicles. There are all kinds of examples across the spectrum. If stock though warrantee should cover it. I have had a ball modding till now and will continue IF the cause for engine failure can be identified.

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast