User Tag List

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Thread: Blown engine theory

^ The "map transition" argument has been laid down before, on some of the US forums. And to my knowledge has not been ruled out. I believe that one person went so far as to say that a combination of inefficient code, and an CPU within the computer caused the ECU to react too slowly to certain failure conditions. (Can't recall exactly, but it was to do with applying knock retard too slowly relative to the engine load metric) How they came to such a conclusion is beyond my understanding. But the more I think about it, it *may* have been a COBB rep suggesting it... Anyone else remember reading about this?

IMO the theory is possible, but I'd put it up there next to pigs growing wings... It is somewhat supported however buy the inclusion of a new ECU for the 2010 MPS3's. Which is interesting given its the same motor.

Just another theory. Take from it what you will.

Some time ago we had someone write here with a query, wondering why they were getting "rattling" (detonation) and smoke when flooring the car at ~1700rpm in 6th on the freeway, so this sort of thing does happen. And accepting that it does, and maybe most of our engines get exposed to a few instances of this, perhaps by misadventure, a foreign driver, inadvertently starting off in the wrong gear, etc, how much does this sort of loading predispose the engine to failure much later?
    It IS an interesting thought, but short of having well controlled testing over hundreds of thousands of K's (In a lab environment even) I don't know that you could find confirmed answer. I guess it comes down to "Does detonation harm components?" (surely the answer is yes) "Has Mazda designed the engine to take such punishment (occasionally) and continue to function as designed passed 200,000 K's?" Who knows?

I've said before that I agree with KMH and DOC and others that runaway ECU is the most likely cause or biggest contributor. That might also explain why these events happen in a number of circumstances. Thus, I'm not sure that this should mean that a dyno run would make it any more likely, except by introducing a bunch of extra stressors.

When my car was still quite new and totally stock I had a momentary total engine death with a short sharp sudden jolt and loud rattle while accelerating gently away from an intersection, at no more than 2500 - 3000rpm in 3rd. As quick as it had come it was gone and I regained mobility almost immediately. I've never had it since, and not since I had a programmed Standback, but that's not to say that there isn't a gremlin still lurking in the ECU over whose electronic integrity the Standback really has no control.

I remain intrigued by the huge volumes of oil reported pooling up in some cases. It may be that the oil is pumped around by flailing and perforated pistons in the final throes of catastrophic failure when new voids are opened up in the engine walls and pistons - most likely, I think. Or it may bring us back to arguments along the line of oil hydraulicking.....
    CP_e Standback & PNP; CP_e 3" SS Downpipe; Corksport FMIC with Top-mount K&N filter & OEM Ram CAI; Turbosmart BOV; Dashhawk; Prosport Boost Guage; JBR solid shift bushes; DBA 4000 Wiper-Slot front rotors; Hawk Ferro-Carbon HPS Street front brake pads (@ 69,000km); Sumitomo HTRZIII's in 225/45 x 18

Quote Originally Posted by rd415 View Post
    Totally agree Mal with your comment - I believe that the mapping fault is just more likely to occur on a Dyno
    I fail to see how.. When the car is in open loop on the dyno.. There is bugger all transition really..

I teresting dyno observation none the less

cheers
    doc

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    I fail to see how.. When the car is in open loop on the dyno.. There is bugger all transition really..

I teresting dyno observation none the less

cheers
    doc
    Could it be..............

Open loop under acceleration.

Closed loop under decelleration?
    Achievements
    2009 Jamboree Street Compact Winner
    Aust. Quickest and Fastest MPS
    12.3 seconds @ 111Mph.
    Proven over the Qtr mile

Another Mazda 3 MPS - Almost fully bolted - Waiting for a turbo upgrade - The weekend hack.
    Toyota Yaris - Coilovers, rollcage, raceseats, harnesses, 18s - Also waiting for a turbo upgrade.
    2011 AWD Territory - White and Slightly lowered on 22s - The tow car.
    2011 RWD Territory - Black on black and slammed on 22s - The family transporter.

Those with Standbacks running on a dyno could usefully monitor progress on their own laptop hitched to the SB. You could see any radical departures as they happened - it might be too late for a rescue when it does, but you'd see and even record it.

One wonders what would initiate a "map transition". As noted above, such a transition seems less likely on a progressive run up on a dyno than in the vagaries of street use, but if it were to occur, the fact that it might be more likely to do so at extreme load might be the straw that breaks the camel's back.

Sooo....what is it that is running out of whack? Ignition advance, timing, AFR? Or does one parameter run out of whack and drag the others with it? E.g AFR goes awry, timing auto-corrects for lean/rich setting and inadvertently over-advances at same time as a high boost state is achieved - or what?....

Other ways of monitoring this in hope of manual or electronic intervention to save a catastrophe might be an over-boost / or stuck waste-gate alarm, or a default "quit program" setting if it runs out of spec beyond pre-defined limits. All of which should be simple enough to engineer. Or does one chuck the Mazda ECU and replace it with another - dicky ground that one, possibly causing more headaches than it solves.
    Last edited by Doug_MPS6; 24-07-2010 at 12:41 PM.
    CP_e Standback & PNP; CP_e 3" SS Downpipe; Corksport FMIC with Top-mount K&N filter & OEM Ram CAI; Turbosmart BOV; Dashhawk; Prosport Boost Guage; JBR solid shift bushes; DBA 4000 Wiper-Slot front rotors; Hawk Ferro-Carbon HPS Street front brake pads (@ 69,000km); Sumitomo HTRZIII's in 225/45 x 18

open loop under deceleration too.. im 99% sure anyway

---------- Post added at 01:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:18 PM ----------

my dashhawk tells me when im in open loop and closed loop

as soon as my boost goes over 0 im in open loop..

so it happens relatively early in the piece...

Doc

Here are some interesting notes compiled in the US that I came across. Interesting references to vibrating clutch, a current topic elsewhere in this forum. Bear with me, it's a big post:

If you have info on which Rod # goes with what cylinder, please let me know. I'm listing cylinder 1 as passenger side. through cylinder 4 as drivers side. If you have any other idea's on what else to add, let me know. Thanks.

bmman93 Mazdaspeedforums
    Car; 2008 Mazdaspeed 3 with 8100 miles.
    Cylinder; #1
    Damage; Tossed Rod. Holes in block front and rear. Cracked oil pan. Rod #1
    RPM; ??
    Mods; MS Intake
    Exhaust Manifold; Stock??
    Situation; It blew just driving down the street.
    Warranty; ?
    Oil; ?

palerider Mazdaspeedforums
    Car; 2007 Mazdaspeed 3 with 29,000 total miles and 4500 on the current setup.
    Cylinder; #2?
    Damage; Tossed rod. Hole up front. Rod #4?
    RPM; 4000-4500
    Mods; gt3071r turbo @ 18 psi, ms cai, inlet, fmic, turbo mani, bpv, cdfp, catted tbe, semi tuned standback.
    Exhaust Manifold; Brand??
    Situation; Car blew partial throttle into boost, third gear around 4000-4500 rpms, going up a hill.
    Warranty; ? No
    Oil; ?

CMESCOOT Mazdaspeedforums
    Car; 2007 Mazdaspeed 3
    Cylinder; #1
    Damage; Tossed rod. Hole at the bottom front passenger side.
    RPM; ?? See speed.
    Mods; FMIC, CAI, CDFP, PG manifold, Downpipe and race pipe, 3" straight exhaust, Hybrid BOV, Reworked stock turbo.
    Exhaust Manifold; PG
    Situation; 6th gear cruising at 75 on a flat highway.
    Warranty; ?
    Oil; ?

desertrat Mazdaspeedforums
    Car; 2007 Mazdaspeed 3
    Cylinder; #2 & #4 most water. #1 & #4 little water.
    Damage; Hydrolock. Water in cylinders. Water in intercooler. Broken crank. Cracked block.
    RPM; ?? See speed.
    Mods; MS CAI
    Situation; I was stuck between a rock and a hard place, on a two way street and in a down pour of rain. I was going about 25 mph and through about 12" deep gully. I had cars behind me and on the other side I had no choice but to risk it. I did the initial inspection, water in the intercooler and the cylinders mostly in 2 and 4 I think and a little in 1 and 3. I suck out the water and tried to start it nothing. I ended up at the dealer to find out I broke the crank and it imbeded its self into the block causing it to crack.
    Warranty; ?
    Oil; ?

paulfitipauldi Mazdaspeedforums
    Car; 200? Mazdaspeed 3 2000miles.
    Cylinder; #1 & #4?
    Damage; Bent two rods , the #1 and #4.
    RPM; ?? See speed.
    Mods; Stock
    Exhaust Manifold; Stock.
    Situation; Cruising at 60mph in 6th gear, I hit the breaks for a bump in the highway. When I accelerated again at partial throttle I heard that psshh noise and later that, a knock noise.
    Warranty; ?
    Oil; ?

08ms3bm Mazdaspeedforums
    Car; 2008? Mazdaspeed 3?
    Cylinder; ?
    Damage; Bad 3rd injector. Spun a bearing. Snapped rod. Snapped wrist-pin. Bent 1 valve.
    RPM; ??
    Mods; Stock
    Exhaust Manifold; Stock.
    Situation; Bad 3rd injector went lean.
    Warranty; ?
    Oil; ?

mrlilguy157 Mazdaspeedforums
    Car; 2007 Mazdaspeed 3 14000 miles.
    Cylinder; ?
    Damage; ?
    RPM; 8000
    Mods; ATP 3071r bolt on turbo, mrlilguyCDFP, custom inlet and intake, txs downpipe/racepipe/hybrid bov, no ems. boost level set at 15psi.
    Situation; Downshift to 2nd and 8000rpms = boom.
    Warranty; ? No?
    Oil; ?

k2white Mazda24/7
    Car; 2007 Mazdaspeed 3 15000 miles first time.
    Cylinder; #2 and #3
    Damage; 1st time: Blown rod(s).
    RPM; ?? See speed.
    2nd time: Starter blew.
    3rd time: Cam/Engine damage.
    Mods; Stock
    Exhaust Manifold; Stock.
    Situation; 1st time: I blew a rod in 6th gear doing 60mph on the way home from work, there was no warning.
    2nd time: I got the car back and the next day the starter blew, another tow and a day later I got it back again and went about my business.
    3rd time: Three weeks later, the car died again, in the same manner, driving along and it just dies. This time it was the timing in the cam which caused damage to the engine.
    Additional info; Here it is word for word off the R. O.:

Customer states that the car had no heat and check engine light and traction control lights came on, within next mile vehicle engine and all power quit.
    Check ECU for codes and found code P0117 stored. Checked for coolant temp issue and found car to be low on coolant. Road tested the car and found the engine to run at hot and overheat. Talked to Mazda and they advised us to replace theromostat. Replaced thermostat and road tested the car again. Then the temp guage read 1/2 and had good heat. rechecked cooling system and found contious bubbles flowing into overflow jug Tried to bleed system several 10 times but there wer still bubbles. Performed cylinder pressure test and #2 and #3 clinders to be blowing back through cooling system. Inspected plugs and found tiny metal flakes on spark plugs. Removed and replaced engine as per Mazda. Roadtested car thouroughly and no bubbles in coolant. All ok.
    END
    Warranty; Yes.
    Oil; ?

TENCms3
    Car; 2007 Mazdaspeed 3 41,218 miles.
    Cylinder; #2 and #3
    Damage; Cylinder 3's piston is scrap, nicked 2's a lil bit. No holes in the block.
    RPM; ?? See speed.
    Mods; MS CAI, corksport TP, rear motor mount(awr).
    Situation; Turbo was going bad. Waited to long to take it in. Was leaving work going about 5 to 10mph. Jumped timing.
    Warranty; No
    Oil; ?

occschemguy
    Car; 200? Mazdaspeed 6 20,000 miles.
    Cylinder; #4
    Damage; Holes on both sides of the block#4 piston
    RPM; 3500
    Mods; Magna flow eghaust, MS cai, HKS bov.
    Situation; Mine blew during miss 3500 rpm 5 gear
    Warranty; No
    Oil; ?

ms3guy22
    Car; 2007 Mazdaspeed 3 13,000 miles.
    Cylinder; #3 and #4
    Damage; Blown motor. Slipped a bearing a put a couple really big holes in my block cyclinder 4 and 3
    RPM; ?? See speed.
    Mods; fmic, tbe, pg manifold, mrlilguy cdfp,sri, cpe standback kinda tuned, 19 psi, reworked turbo.
    Exhaust Manifold; PG
    Situation; I was slowly accelerating at 5 mph on my way to my garage, and kaboom!
    Warranty; No
    Oil; ?

kraz3y
    Car; 2008 Mazdaspeed 3 23,xxx miles.
    Cylinder; ? passenger side
    Damage; Chunk of my engine on the under tray and a bolt missing the thread part and a clip...looked around theres a hole up near the starter...guessing thats the front of the engine.
    RPM; 4500rpm drivng around 40-50mph.
    Mods; stock boost, mbc, map clamp, cs dp/mp, cobb sf, trz mount, modified stock exhaust, hks bov
    Exhaust Manifold; Stock?
    Situation; (4:30pm) driving home from picking up my lady and daughter my engine blew.... My guess i was heatsoakin like a mofo and i gunned it it bit ( 4.5k ) was drivng around 40-50 and then booommm ughhh (boost temps at 110-120ish, 90 ambient temp)
    Warranty; Unknown
    Oil; ?

tvissues
    Car; 2007 MazdaSpeed 3 GT
    Cylinder; #2
    Damage; researching
    RPM; researching
    Mods; researching
    Exhaust Manifold; researching
    Situation; researching
    Warranty; none
    Oil; researching

IDRVSLO
    Car; MazdaSpeed 3
    Cylinder; 3
    Damage; Blown engine. Hole in block #3 cylinder.
    RPM; about 3000rpms
    Mods; Cobb AP, COBB SRI, IDRVSLO custom Water to Air IC, PG V2 Manifold, HDFP, H&R springs, 17x8.5 RPF1s ET40 w/235/45/17s, Prosport boost gauge, TWM Bushings and Short Shifter, Turbosmart Hybrid Valve, Corksport DP and RP, DENSO ITV22 plugs, custom catback full 3" mandrel bent w/ Apexi N1 muffler and N2MB WOT Box w/ 2 step
    Exhaust Manifold;
    Situation; It was raining and I wasnt in boost. This is one day after picking up my car from the shop with what was suspected as a clutch/flywheel issue. It had brand new oil in it.....I just checked the levels 10 days ago....same day as it started having problems.
    Previous situation that could of led up to this situation (cut and paste).
    "Well here it goes. I was accelerating onto the freeway in 3rd gear last night. Nothing out of the ordinary happened. I did not over rev the motor or miss a shift! Boost hit 19psi as normal but when I went to shift into 4th I felt a vibration through my clutch pedal. It immediately reminded me of MS3guy22's post. I pulled over and shut the car off. Went to start it again and if fired right up. Car is in neutral and I press in the clutch. As soon as I begin to press it in I feel the vibration. When its all the way depressed the vibration is gone. I then got out and listened to the engine. I can here a clicking noise...definitely not a normal noise. It grows more audible at lower RPMs and less at higher. Any ideas? The car is currently up on jackstands right now. I have drained the oil and am about to take off the oil pan. I checked spark plugs there is nothing abnormal there. I can not find any holes in the block....yet. HELP.....so much for my dyno day today."
    Warranty;
    Oil;

JimmyMac
    Car; 2007 MazdaSpeed 3
    Cylinder; #4
    Damage; Bent connecting rod. No other damage so far.
    RPM; 4000-6000rpms
    Mods; ATP GT2871R (20psi), ATP 3" Inlet pipe, CPe CAI, CPe FMIC, CPe catted DP, CPe Standback, CorkSport CB, Forge BPV, Saikou Michi Co OCC, Mrlilguy CDFP, BC Racing CoilOvers, Gram Lights Bronze 57C, Dunlap Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec, N2MB WOT Box, Street Unit rear MM, TWM shift bushings, PG manifold
    Exhaust Manifold; PG
    Situation; 2nd gear at 4000rpms went WOT, shift point around 6000rpms through 4th gear. Max psi recorded at 19.8. Slowed car down. Clutch pedal was vibrating when slightly touched. Engine sound ticking. Ticking speeds up when rpms increase. Car parked time problem is resolved.
    Warranty; None
    Oil; 5w30 Mobile 1.

Anonymous
    Car; MazdaSpeed 3
    Cylinder; unknown
    Damage; tossed rod.
    RPM; unknown
    Mods; Anonymous
    Exhaust Manifold; stock
    Situation; researching
    Warranty; unknown
    Oil; unknown

Unknown
    Car; 200x MazdaSpeed 3 (x3)
    Cylinder; unknown
    Damage; hole in block
    RPM; unknown
    Mods; unknown
    Exhaust Manifold; unknown
    Situation; unknown Random stories, 1 in WA, 2 in NC.
    Warranty; unknown
    Oil; unknown

cageyvet
    Car; MazdaSpeed 3
    Cylinder; ?
    Damage; Shot a rod through the block.
    RPM; ? 50mph
    Mods; ? Stock
    Exhaust Manifold; ? Stock
    Situation; I got my car back from the dealer a few weeks ago (11-22-08) after they rebuilt the transmission and replaced the clutch(this is a story of frustration all in itself). Last week the motor shot a rod through the block at aprprox. 50mph and out of boost. The car had 38 miles on it from the time i picked it up from the dealer(keep in mind it passed their complete "free" full circle service card inspection) until the motor blew in addition to being STOCK.I finally got around to having the car towed to the dealer, and the first thing i was told was i need to provide them with the history of the car's oil maintenance. I hope they warranty this without the drama that happened with the tranny. BTW, it appears this is nothing new considering the reaction i got @ the dealer when i took it to the service department. I am so pissed, 3 months of car note payments for less than an hour worth of driving. Im selling the car when i get it back.
    Warranty; ? Maybe
    Oil; ?

blackmica08
    Car; 2008 MazdaSpeed 3 5000 miles?
    Cylinder; #2?
    Damage; Blown engine/rod.
    RPM; researching
    Mods; gt3071r , fmic, rp, dp , hks custom exhaust, greedy rs bov, fuel pump. 18 psi
    Exhaust Manifold; researching
    Situation; researching
    Warranty; ?
    Oil; researching

Unknown
    Car; MazdaSpeed?
    Cylinder; ?
    Damage; ?(ticking)
    RPM; ? 4th gear
    Mods; CPe Catted DP, Cobb Intake, Dual Port BOV, 18psi.
    Exhaust Manifold;
    Situation; Got on the on ramp and guns it in 2nd then shifts to 3rd then goes into 4th and the car turns off, no noise no shaking nothing so we pull off to the side of the freeway and the first thin i do is look on the ground for oil and there wasnt any so told him turn it on and the famous loud ticking noise was there.
    Warranty; ?
    Oil; ?

Duy215
    Car; MazdaSpeed 3?
    Cylinder; ?
    Damage; Blown Motor?
    RPM; See situation.
    Mods; I/TBE/AP/MM/BOV (Cobb Sri, TBE, AWR Motor mount, HKS BOV)?
    Exhaust Manifold;
    Situation; He hammered down on second from 3k to the top of the gear, shifted and the motor popped as soon as he let the clutch out.
    Warranty; ?
    Oil; ?

s-retire
    Car; 2008 MazdaSpeed 3 3607
    Cylinder; #3?
    Damage; Hole in block about the size of a rod end, engine compartment fire
    RPM; 3,000 to 3,500 (5th gear, 70 mph, down grade load)
    Mods; Bone Stock
    Exhaust Manifold; Stock
    Situation; Highway speed (I5 in California) Cruise Control set, down grade.
    Other: There was no indication of low oil condition prior to engine failure. The low oil pressure indicator light did not illuminate until after the motor quit. There was no increase in operating temp.
    The oil was last changed at an authorized Mazda Dealer, so if you think using the dealer will protect you, think again.
    I have written a letter to Mazda North American Operations to appeal the denial of warranty coverage. We’ll see what happens.
    With the large number of denied warranty claims, has there been any thought to injured class action?
    Has anyone else filed a NHTSA complaint?
    Warranty; Denied – Inspecting dealer claims that servicing Mazda dealer left drain plug loose and cause was it fell out allowing oil to drain out.
    Oil; Dealer supplied 5w/30 stock # 103050. Oil changed @2300 miles.

mlassek
    Car; 200x MazdaSpeed 3
    Cylinder; #3
    Damage; Bent Rod
    RPM; 3000-4000rpms
    Mods; TurboXS FMIC,ATP turbo inlet,PG CAI w/ AEM DryFlow filer,Turbosmart VTA BOV,NGK step colder iridiums,PG CDFP kit,TWM SS w/ bushings,Cobb shifter weight,TRZ dogbone,Corksport DP,Corksport RP,Mazdaspeed CBE,Hayden P/S cooler,CP-E PnP,CP-E Standback v2,CP-E Re-flash,Grounding kit,Prosport premium boost in ATI pod,Smoked Sidemarkers,20% tint,JDM window visors,Speedline mirrors,GV front lip,GV Eyelids,RE-A wing lip,CP-E TowPlate w/ "MS3 FTW"tags
    Exhaust Manifold; Stock?
    Situation; bent #3 rod while shifting into 3rd at 3-4k rpms mid boost.
    Warranty; unknown
    Oil; Only seen mobil 1 oil until i put royal purple in last week (5-30)

tazman34685
    Car; MS3
    Cylinder;
    Damage; Hole in block
    RPM;
    Mods;
    Exhaust Manifold;
    Situation;
    Warranty; Nope
    Oil;

Breakthestatic
    Car;
    Cylinder; 4
    Damage;
    RPM;
    Mods;
    Exhaust Manifold;
    Situation;
    Warranty; Nope
    Oil;

buildabong
    Car;
    Cylinder; 4
    Damage;
    RPM;
    Mods;
    Exhaust Manifold;
    Situation;
    Warranty; Nope
    Oil;

JerseySpeed
    Car;
    Cylinder; 4
    Damage;
    RPM;
    Mods;
    full bolt on;
    Situation; Light load daily driving. shifting from 2nd to 3rd and boom.
    Warranty; Nope
    Oil;
    Signs: None

griffeyfan25
    Car;
    Cylinder; 4
    Damage;
    RPM;
    Mods;
    full bolt on, GT2871 with EWG;
    Situation; WG line popped off and car boosted 30 Psi
    Warranty; Nope
    Oil;
    Signs: Vibrations in clutch

Jarods7920
    Car;
    Cylinder; 4
    Damage;
    RPM;
    Mods;
    Cobb ap 93 oct map rp, intake
    Warranty; Nope
    Oil;
    Signs: none
    Last edited by Doug_MPS6; 20-10-2010 at 03:09 PM.

Interesting, thanks Doug.

1 more question that should be asked of all the blow ups, have they been on a dyno?

Everyones beloved dyno can put some serious stress onto a motor that isn't produced under normal day to day circumstances.
    May or may not be related, but it's a question worth asking.

Also, I've asked before, any CX7's or gen 2 mps 3's having issues yet?

9. Default

kraz3y
    Car; 2008 Mazdaspeed 3 23,xxx miles.
    Cylinder; ? passenger side
    Damage; Chunk of my engine on the under tray and a bolt missing the thread part and a clip...looked around theres a hole up near the starter...guessing thats the front of the engine.
    RPM; 4500rpm drivng around 40-50mph.
    Mods; stock boost, mbc, map clamp, cs dp/mp, cobb sf, trz mount, modified stock exhaust, hks bov
    Exhaust Manifold; Stock?
    Situation; (4:30pm) driving home from picking up my lady and daughter my engine blew.... My guess i was heatsoakin like a mofo and i gunned it it bit ( 4.5k ) was drivng around 40-50 and then booommm ughhh (boost temps at 110-120ish, 90 ambient temp)
    Warranty; Unknown
    Oil; ?

Sounds like what happened to 2000MN's MPS... Infact, almost the same mods and everything, even the low speed boomski!

After all of the reading iv done i think some are to do with engine balancing! y are motors blowning at low rpm at 2000rpm. Admit that a bent rod is not from engine balancing but boosting, u dont get a bent rod with no boost.. there are guys doing 5-50 kph at low rpm, the ones that just let go and throw the rod through the bore i think are balancing issues the rods are weakend by the lack of balancing. ( honda engines are very reilable due to good balancing)

Just my thoughts
    Last edited by RedDjinn; 27-10-2010 at 07:01 PM.
    Many want Power not many hold it long.........

Do the MPS3's have the same engine specs as the MPS6?

If so I'm assuming 6's are having similar issues with engines going boom?

I think I'll just sell my standback and avoid a dyno I don't want to risk it...

If u have a standback dont tune it to the max. I have stock engine at the moment running 210kw atw. Tuned with cpe flash and standback but its been tune to run smoother not max power ( mps garage hit 240kw on one run but pulled it back to 210kw ) Cars go boom ( most) from boost spikes, and people tuning to run big power. keep ur standback go to a good tuner run standard boost and have them tune to run smoother u will still get a power increase from standard.

Hi Luke, A hydraulicked engine will quickly bend a rod too, as will a bad case of over-advanced ignition.

Yes. but this is part of the tuning ( the later). they do this for more power but run the risk of BOOM, safe tune will lessen this

Well in my expert opinion, these engines are running on the wrong fuel

Scotch is where it's at these days

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
    Do the MPS3's have the same engine specs as the MPS6?
    If my recollection is correct, the MPS6 runs 9.7:1 compression, MPS3 9.5:1
    I specifically recall asking with interest and watching the specs when they were released and I'm sure the MPS6 has higher compression.
    I remember when asking about comparitive outputs between 6 and 3 - "drop the compression and up the boost, eh?"
    "Blue Meanie" 2007 Aurora Blue MPS 3 - 18x8.5+44 SSR GTX01 - 235/40R18 Michelin PS5 - 3.5" ETS TMIC - CPE stg 2 mount - HKS/CPE BPV - 2XS inlet - 2XS short shift - Corksport turbo manifold - HT 98 octane tune - Leather/Aluminium handbrake - Momo shifty knob - 7" touchscreen - JDM Mazda Retractable dashtop screen assembly - Bespoke Raspberry Pi Android based GPS/Carplay and instrumentation - 36AH reserve battery and C-TEK isolator - TEIN Street Advanced coilovers 1" drop - Superpro bushings - 220Kw/410Nm.

"Lipstick" 2013 Velocity Red MPS 3 - 18x7.5+48 Enkei RPF1 -225/40R18 Federal RS-RR - CPE TMIC - COBB inlet - CPE stg 2 mount - COBB Stage 1 98 octane tune - COBB shifty knob - 2XS short shift - 2XS turbo manifold.

NEXUS, that's the recipe. It's common to significantly reduce compressions to increase cylinder volume and thereby accommodate more A/F mix. We used to use thicker head gaskets when supercharging.

Quote Originally Posted by Nexus View Post
    If my recollection is correct, the MPS6 runs 9.7:1 compression, MPS3 9.5:1
    I specifically recall asking with interest and watching the specs when they were released and I'm sure the MPS6 has higher compression.
    I remember when asking about comparitive outputs between 6 and 3 - "drop the compression and up the boost, eh?"
    Ok so does this mean due to the higher compression the 6's are more likely to go "boom" than the 3's when modded or when running on the dyno etc??

Quote Originally Posted by bd581 View Post
    Interesting, thanks Doug.

1 more question that should be asked of all the blow ups, have they been on a dyno?

Everyones beloved dyno can put some serious stress onto a motor that isn't produced under normal day to day circumstances.
    May or may not be related, but it's a question worth asking.

Also, I've asked before, any CX7's or gen 2 mps 3's having issues yet?
    I think the dyno blow up figures would be bias... That's where they are tuned lol.
    MY16 WRX STi Crystal White Pearl
    -= Rally Armour Flaps - 2XS Muffler Delete =-

FG FPV F6 MKII Vixen - SOLD
    -= Bluepower SRI - ID1000 Injectors - Venom Cat - XCAL3 - ProcessWest Stg2 Intercooler - 359 RWKW=-

CX9 Grand Touring Stormy Blue
    -= The rolling armchair =-

6 MPS Velocity Red - SOLD
    -=Cat Back Exhaust - Pirelli PZero=-

3 MPS Aurora Blue - SOLD
    -=PG SRI - PG Inlet - ETS TMIC - GFB Hybrid BOV - Best Mufflers DP - Eibach Pro - AccessPort STG2 - Autotech HPFP - ITV22 - Michelin PSS=-

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213