User Tag List

Thread: Engine mount vibrations. The SCIENTIFIC approach

Default Engine mount vibrations. The SCIENTIFIC approach

Hey all,

With the engine mount becoming a more popular mod, I was thinking we should start being more sceintific with out rating of each unit, simply saying it shook my grannies false teeth out doesnt really cut it!

The Iphone now has a seismograph application...

Are people with the Iphone prepared to get hold of the seismograph app and help the community out? We can now scientifically prove which causes the biggest vibration! One of the US MS3 guys did it, here is the link:

Medieval Rear Motor Mount Install and Review - Mazda Forums

I'd do it, but the Blackberry Storm doesnt have the app available (waiting for torrents of abuse).

I have my MM in transit, so I can do the MPS6 stock suspension with Medieval MM before and after...(maybe when an Iphone owner picks up an IPOD Integration unit from me....winw wink)

Thoughts/volunteers?

Jim

I read that article and thought that's an awesome idea. Shame I don't have an iphone.

To be a fair comparison, it really does need to be done on the same car on the same surface at the same temperatures (ambient). But either way it's a great way to get a rough idea.

Agree mate, there are so many variations. Maybe MPSGarage could do it for us.

Hey Jim as a scientist myself I obviously prefer evidence based decision making and I think this is a great idea. Here's some idea's to get a truly scientific outcome:

Nuliaj is right that this test would be pretty unscientific if each mount were tested on a different car because the individual characteristics of each car represent a large set of uncontrolled variables. I'm thinking of the SU mount that I took out of my car because it shook my granny's false teeth out, but was cool when Nickows put the very same mount into his car.

Instead of obtaining comparable evidence about the performance of the various engine mounts, I think that if you did the test on different cars you're actually going to get evidence of how many cars are vibrators and how many aren't.

So to control the variables we really need a test rig or the MPS garage suggestion of testing all the available mounts on one car.

The ergonomics department at the local uni would have some appropriate instrumentation, all you need to do is find a petrol head under-grad and convince them to do this test as one of their assignments.

Another way to go about it would be to get owners of each of the different mounts together for a day, throw on a bbq and try each mount on one car using the above instrumentation. The only catch would be the need to use relatively new examples of each mount because their characteristics change over time.

It's a great idea and if anything comes of it I'd be happy to contribute if I can.

Gone to Volvo

Yeah, the more I think about it, the bigger the can of worms. Lets see if anyone else chimes in, I'm also thinking the Iphone may not be the best tool for the job and the University is a better bet. I simply dont have time to go that far.

How many mounts are there? Medieval, CPE, SU, TRZ and CS Inserts? Have I missed any?
    Last edited by EQ; 02-05-2009 at 07:29 AM.

CS inserts..