User Tag List

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Oil type/changes

Quote Originally Posted by kh92 View Post
    Hey guys I was looking at getting the Nulon 10w-40 for my engine, I don't know exactly how thoughs figures work but its something to do with temperature? I'm in Perth.

Any recommendations on Differential Oil and Gearbox oil?
    Here ya go mate. Something to sink your reading teeth into.
    Motor oil - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Will be picking up some Penrite Everyday 10w40 Full Synthetic on Thursday after work in order for my 100,000km service this weekend, if the oil change in my gearbox (penrite syn) and what I have been told by many people in the industry is anything to go by, I reckon it will perform and exceed my expectations...

Oh also found this oil comparison, its a bit dated but still would prove to be a useful tool: http://www.animegame.com/cars/Oil%20Tests.pdf
    Do Not Fear Torque Steer...

ZOOM F*cking ZOOM Biatch!!

alright so I couldn't find some of the Penrite stuff, for some reason all of the spare part shops around me don't have it or has to be ordered in, I guess they don't sell much of this stuff??? Anyways I couldn't wait for them to order it in so I went and bought the next best thing which is Castrol Edge Sport 5w30 full synthetic. I had been doing some reading on this stuff and seems to get two thumbs up, aparently has been formulated for our type of cars, 4cyl turbo. I got totally sick of paying $60 plus for just 5litres of Motul Turbolight which is semi Synthetic (also MZR capacity is 5.7L) and for the price it's not enough oil to top up our engines to the right level meaning you would have to buy two 5L bottles! $120 just for oil??? !!! The Castrol Edge can also be purchased in 1L bottles so was great to finally be able to top up the engine to the specified level.

On draining the old Motul oil I made sure I got every drop out, I was real anal about the whole thing I even bought a bottle of Nulon Oil flush, I did notice that the stuff was like water and was extremely black after 10,000kms, out of the 5L that went into the engine I was happy to see that the same amount drained back out, mind you there would have been about 300ml of oil flush so the actual level would have been more like 4.7L meaning its used up a little oil but not stupid amounts of it.

Filedl up with the Castrol Edge including 700lm out of the 1L bottle and was all set to crank it over, first thing I noticed was WOW how much quieter the engine now is and how much smoother the engine feels while driving, I have a TRZ Dog Bone engine mount and with the engine running as smooth as it does now, the car and dash vibrates and rattles much less with this new oil. My guess is that the Motul breaks down way too fast and also keep in mind it was 10W40 so it should have felt smoother than the 5W30 but it totally didn't.

I'm thinking on running this oil for the next 10,000kms and then report back once drained out, if possible I will try to get my self a bottle of the Penrite Everyday 10W40 which should be great once the weather start to warm up, I just hope the next oil change coincides with the change in weather i.e. Spring.

Not sure who else is running Castrol Edge in their MPS but would sure like to hear from them...

Alex
    Do Not Fear Torque Steer...

ZOOM F*cking ZOOM Biatch!!

Default MPS 6 oil change

checked my oil earlier and seems a bit black..

next service isnt due for another 5k but since i got spare oil laying around and its kinda looking black to me i figured i might as well change it..

question is... is it the same as changing a normal mazda 6?

its supposed to look black mate.

oils job is to hold and suspend contaminants in itself, so they dont find there way to places they shouldnt.

it is 100% impossible to judge "finished" oil from "still working and perfectly fine" oil without a full analysis.

moral of the story, its likely to be fine.

you dont want to change oil just for the sake of changing oil. as new oil is often high is solvents that are yet to evaporate. constanly changing oil, means these "solvents" for lack of better word, never burn of and constantly do WORSE than oil thats in its optimal zone.

from what i remember it can take up to 2000km for oil to enter the zone.

Ice
    Last edited by IceValk85; 18-08-2011 at 10:33 PM.

lol im no expert on oil so ill take ur word for it

Quote Originally Posted by Malicioso View Post
    Not sure who else is running Castrol Edge in their MPS but would sure like to hear from them...

Alex
    I just noticed this question: I'm using Castrol Edge Sport 5w30, I fact I had several boxes of the stuff but I'm down to my last couple of bottles. From my experience using it in several different engines I think it's too thin for Australian temperatures. It can find its way through gaskets where heavier oil wont and will create oil mist too easily (this happens when the crank shaft acts like a blender to whip the oil into fine particles that can travel through the PCV system and contaminate the inlet tract - not good in a DI engine). My oil consumption increased with the 5-30 because it wouldn't stay inside the engine.

Castrol is fine oil, but I'll be changing to a heavier weight when my stocks of 5w30 run out. Probably go with 10-40 next. I'm not too fussed about the brand - only that it's fully synthetic.

Gone to Volvo

Anyone heard about the NEW so called Castrol Edge Titanium stuff?? picked up a bottle to do on the weekend? Couldn't find much info on it since Castrol's own site about the NEW stuff is down for revamp.

Hey FYI, If anyone wants Oil sampling done at a really good price, Komatsu CMS are good and cheap. and yes they can test all types of oils etc. KOWA. check it up on the internet.
    Oils are all different, and in my experience every engine is different. I tend to stick with the castrol products myself as we dont drive it hard, but the heatsoak is pretty bad in sitty driving, so I tend to service every 5000-7500. But even 10 000 is ok. Some manufacturers actually recomment 15000, and no less than 10000- funny as I would have thought keep the oil fresh and it lasts longer- but their information to me was if it is too new, it can actually aid glazing of the bores! just another Useless fact I have picked up.
    Anyone in perth wanting to do oil sampling PM me as i have connections in the industry.

Sampling of old and new oil would be interesting. It seems the norm to service every 5000k, but I wonder what the oil would look like at 5000k, 10000k or 15000k.

I've heard the same, changing oil too often isn't good. But seeing real results would say a lot about the need for it. Sure, oils aint oils, people driving styles differ, that would play a part.

Spud, you're a knowledgable man, you should start a "Ask Spud" thread.

hahha. I know some stuff about things. I am happy to share my experience in my chosen fields of which I have previously worked in. I Hate to see information given by people who actually have never done anything that they are talking about. books can give a wealth of knowledge, but experience and hands on is where it counts.
    Might do an ask Spud thread. might save a few people spending thousands of $$$$ on crap that is not needed!!!
    Did I mention my current job is oil annalysis?

Mr Spud,

What is your take on the whole 'its no good to change your oil too early' and it takes time for the oil to come into its 'zone'??

That's the first question for you from OzMPS.

Well, in all honesty, I have always been told and maintain my thoughts that, OIL IS CHEAP. and I would prefer to change the oil more regularly if it meant that My engine would last longer. I reckon 5000kms on oil is a good start point, anything over that but under 10,000. If you change it too early, what can happenis, if there is a problem which can be seen in oil of about 5000ks, it is masked and you dont actually know there is a problem. Having said that though, if it goes for too long on the oil the oil breaks down and can endup causing problems earlier in the engine life. Most the time, I think if you drive your engine hard, 5000ks is a goot time to change. if you daily drive at normal conditions, 10000ks wont harm it at all.
    SO. If you have upped the boost, changed oil types or even put bigger tyres on your car, it is all extra load, so I think 5000ks is about all you want to put on the oil. that is my take. Again, without frequent sampling and building a trend I cant really give hard evidence to back up my ideas, yet. I am currently doing a test on my car, sample every 5000ks and change at 10000 for a few times, then change at every 5000ks. will keep you all posted on how it goes.

I agree, oil is cheap and is a good peace of mind for me anyway to change often,
    I do my oil every 3 months or 5000K. even at that it comes out looking filthy. I have however, never had an annalysis done.

So, I have my 50,000 coming up. Looking through 10 pages this is a bit of a summary of where people have gone with thier oils and some have made changes over time:

Doc - 5w30. mobil one.
    EQ-Penrite 5W-40
    Mav2777 - Shell Helix Ultra fully synthetic 10W-40.
    Warski - 0W-40 Castrol Edge Sport
    RD415 - Valvoline Durablend 15w50.
    Q-Ship - Valvoline SynPower 10W-50,
    LilZLR - Motul 10w 40 or Penrite 5W 30, dont use cheap castrol stuff
    Mpssylo - penrite 10w 50,
    Bd581 - 15w 50 durablend (like Dad J)
    Royee - MOTUL 8100 5w/30
    Kookie - valvoline SYNpower 10w/50 $60 or penrite Sin 15w/40 $90 orNulon 10w/40 $56
    Doc - Shell Helix ultra.. 5w-40..
    Owhat - nulon 10-40 but in the 6L bottle ($62)
    Kookie - Castrol Edge Sport 5w30 was 50% off, so I got one 5L bottle and one 1L for $56.
    BM3- Valvoline Durablend 10W40
    Rodwick - fully synthetic 5W-40 - Penrite.
    Blackbetty - 10W-40 Mobil SupersynthS
    Doug - Nulon 100% Synthetic 10W-40
    Thundercatpt - 5w30
    Bakis - ELF Excellium Fully Syntheic 5W-40
    Gluttony - castrol 10W-40.
    OzCj - Castrol Magnatec Professional 5W-40.
    3MPSPWR - 10w-40 fully synthetic.
    Grajy - Penrite Premium, 10W-50.
    Malicioso - Penrite Everyday 10w40 Full Synthetic - Castrol Edge Sport 5w30 full synthetic.
    Kmh001 – Changing to 10-40 fully synthetic, from 5-30.

So Valvoline, Castrol and Penrite seem the popular choices. Fully Synthetic is also the most popular.

By a large margin, the 10_40 is the most popular blend, with 5_30 & 5_40 equal second and 10_50 a close third.

Only Mr Warski came out with 0_40, which is interesting as I was leaning towards that when he spoke about it a while back as my car would be lucky to get 20km's a week.

It get spirited short runs to the coffee shop on Sat and Sun morning and then parked for another week.

My "end user" preference is an oli that will protect the car on start when it's been sitting still for 5 days, then have the protection to look after me in heavy traffic, high RPM runs.

From the sounds of all these oils, they will do all that I ask, but it's interesting to get opinions, epsecially when people notice how thier cars sound between 2 different blends.

Personally I think I'll go 5-40, Castrol or Valvoline dpending on cost.

Thanks for all the input.

Brad.
    Redbull is DEAD!!

Long live the Redbull ... V2

Interesting research and great list compiled there Brad! I just picked up a second bottle of 5w-40 Castrol Edge Sport!

I'm with doc.
    Might be worth adding a poll?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Been hunting around for prices. This might be interesting for Sydney-siders.

http://m.gumtree.com.au/v?adId=332198282

Supercheap:
    Valvoline Synpower Engine Oil - 5W-40, 5 Litre
    PRICE: $49.95 EACH
    SAVE: $12.54 EACH
    RATING
    Superior cold start protection through faster oil flow
    Offers improved fuel consumption & increase power output
    Reduces sludge & varnish formation to provide a cleaner running

Valvoline Durablend Engine Oil - 5W-30, 5 Litre
    PRICE: $39.50 EACH
    SAVE: $9.99 EACH
    RATING
    Better protection against sludge & varnish deposits to keep your engine running longer
    Helps improve fuel efficency durability for the life of the oil

"Castrol Edge Engine Oil - 0W-40, 5 Litre"

PRICE: $77.98 EACH
    SAVE: $6.97 EACH
    RATING
    Contains titanium fluid strength technology
    Maximises short & long term engine performance
    Sustains maximum performance for longer
    Improves engine efficiency
    Delivers unrivaled protection
    Reduces engine deposits
    Not suitable for diesel vehicles fitted with a dpf.

"Castrol Edge Engine Oil - 5W-40, 5 Litre"

PRICE: $74.95 EACH
    RATING
    Reduces engine deposits.

"Castrol Edge Engine Oil - 5W-30, 5 Litre"

PRICE: $69.95 EACH
    RATING
    Reduces engine deposits

Penrite Everyday Full Synthetic - 10W-40

PRICE: $54.95 EACH
    RATING
    Highly refined synthetic formulation
    Advanced additive system provides good engine protection

Shell Helix Ultra Engine Oil - 5W-40, 5 Litre

PRICE: $63.78 EACH
    RATING
    Low viscosity, rapid oil flow & low friction
    Long-term oxidation stability
    Minimises vibration & engine noise
    Shell's ultimate active cleansing technology

Shell Helix Ultra Extra Engine Oil - 5W-30, 5 Litre

PRICE: $74.99 EACH
    RATING
    Low viscosity, rapid oil flow & low friction
    Long-term oxidation stability
    High shear stability
    Shell's ultimate active cleansing technology
    Last edited by Yeldarb; 22-01-2012 at 04:21 PM.
    Redbull is DEAD!!

Long live the Redbull ... V2

I am about to purchase a MPS it has 32,000kms, i know as all my cars i have ever owned 5000km changes are best or basically under 10,000kms. The engine will last.

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast