User Tag List

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Oil type/changes

Quote Originally Posted by mpssylo View Post
    i use penrite 10w 50,i find this stuff great,just my two cents.
    hmm will give it a shot, i was thinkn about using 5w 60 Penrite. ??? Any ideas . .

How many km on your iR's motor?
    I wouldn't go to thin on a high kays motor, especially in FNQ

like dad I always used 15w 50 durablend in my gti-r, motor was always quiet and smooth no matter what the temp was. Only once I used something else ( can't remember what) but I saw an instant increase in oil temps - for those that don't know gtir's have factory oil temp gauge

Quote Originally Posted by LILZLR View Post
    hmm will give it a shot, i was thinkn about using 5w 60 Penrite. ??? Any ideas . .
    i think 5w would be a little thin and 60 a little thick,i think 10w 50 is great and i still change every 5000km's,but everyone's got different opinions on this subject oil/change their won't be a clear cut advise you just have too make your own mind up,were all just giving you our opinion

i use MOTUL 8100 5w/30
    changin it every 5000ks

Quote Originally Posted by mpssylo View Post
    i think 5w would be a little thin and 60 a little thick,i think 10w 50 is great and i still change every 5000km's,but everyone's got different opinions on this subject oil/change their won't be a clear cut advise you just have too make your own mind up,were all just giving you our opinion
    No opinion, just read the handbook and relate the viscosity to the ambient temperature. It is in black and white in the handbook and the manual irrespective of all the opinions.

Very, Very rare for the manufacturer to get it wrong.

slightly off topic
    Mind you I have seen two factory manual's incorrect (HB Torana) steering box adjustment, the manual had specs for LHD and pics of RHD. VB commodore factory manual has pics of Opel Rekord, different dash, engine and shorter nose than VB. I have often seen mistakes in aftermarket manuals such as Gregory's - but these are usually errors in conversion such as imperial to metric.

Yes very important ! As oil does slowly brake down intime and heat. 5000kms is the most I would leave it between changes with a modded motor setup.

I do my oil every 3000kms, cause the head of a GTiR is very noisy when the oil has turned to shit. So I've noticed anything after 3500kms my head of my motor gets noisy But yeah 5000kms is the norm.

Quote Originally Posted by LILZLR View Post
    Yes very important ! As oil does slowly brake down intime and heat. 5000kms is the most I would leave it between changes with a modded motor setup.

I do my oil every 3000kms, cause the head of a GTiR is very noisy when the oil has turned to shit. So I've noticed anything after 3500kms my head of my motor gets noisy But yeah 5000kms is the norm.
    SHOULD BE NOISEY GTiR has solid lifters.
    It's just an opinion to change oil early. Even cheap oils are so good today that they will cope very well for 10,000k. All oils have to meet stringent SAI and API standards. If the oil standard is recommended for your car you will not have any worries.

I change my oil 5,000 or six months - usually the six months comes first. My choice but it really isn't necessary.

Why?? I did the same on my car in 1974 a HQ 308 modified - when I pulled it down to fit a different cam it was spotless inside and no signs of wear, unlike other 308 Holden motors of similar mileage that I rebuilt. Thes other engines had been serviced on mileage irrespective of the time.

just visited autopro to get some oil for my next service (30K), now I've found valvoline SYNpower 10w/50 and penrite Sin 15w/40. Now the valvoline is $60 and penrite $90, I always naturally pick the more expensive because its more expensive but has anyone got any opinions on these two ? or others for the same price which you've had better experiences with ??

oh yeah and there was a brand called Nulon 10w/40 which was only $56, I haven't had much experience with it though ??
    Last edited by kookie; 21-05-2010 at 01:42 PM.

^^ where are you from?
    15w is a little thick for cold morning starts..

and 50 is a little thick imo

After reading debating// trial and error.. Ive had my last few fills done with Shell Helix ultra.. 5w-40.. (came from mobile 1 5w-30.. yuck.. never again).. and after my research and UOA's on this oil.. I am happy with it.. and will continue to use it.. (roughly 70 bucks per 5L.. cant go wrong..

Royal Purple was also used.. but too may readings of quality control issues.. and varying stock quality levels..

so here I am.. with my gold bottle of oil.. and im happy

Doc

Canberra so yep very cold right now ! Hmmm so is shell helix ultra a fully synthetic oil ? If so I might lock that one in, sounds like you've done your homework through trial and error.

11. Default

i use to use valvoline synpower 10-50 in my old wrx as the wrx liked a thicker oil to protect the bearings under stress. Wasnt bad at all

In my 2010 mps im using the nulon 10-40 but in the 6L bottle ($62) the 5L bottle is $56 or about that. my mps used 5.6L on its last service. so far so good. no issues at all. Better then the oil the dealer was going to put in as part of the standard service on the mps. I called 3 dealers and 2 of them when I asked is that with synthetic oil said no if you want synthetic add $35. this meaning the standard service for the mps wasn’t going to include decent oil.

Just to have a go at the dealers. The book in my mps says "1 hour labor" @10,000kms. After calling many dealers the average price was $235-$295. This is for a basic service including oil and filter.
    After thinking about it the genuine oil filter is $17.50 and decent oil that would better then the synthetic they use is $60-70....... MMMMMM that second year apprentice is charged out at $150-200 an hour. What a joke

Yep.. its just as synthetic as Mobil 1 and what not..
    its just a better oil IMO

In the end I went into SuperCheap this morning and Castrol Edge Sport 5w30 was 50% off, so I got one 5L bottle and one 1L for $56. Yep I'm a sucker for advertising after being locked in on the shell helix re: Doc's recommendations. See how it goes.

5w-30 is a little thin imo.. I wouldnt be leaving it in for 10k

15. Default

Valvoline Durablend 10W40 for my Mazda3.

Quote Originally Posted by BM3 View Post
    Valvoline Durablend 10W40 for my Mazda3.
    Likewise in my mps6 - tested better than most oils twice the price

Default Which oil does the 6 mps use?

Hey guys, I was wondering what engine oil mazda put in the 6 mps when servicing? The level has dropped a little and it is in need of top up.

Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyMPS View Post
    Hey guys, I was wondering what engine oil mazda put in the 6 mps when servicing? The level has dropped a little and it is in need of top up.

Cheers.
    from memory mazda use their own oil when they service it.. does the car get dealer servicing or is it possible previous owner used an other oil brand? dont really wanna top up with another brand..

maybe ring mazda spare parts and see if they sell 500ml or 1 litre containers..
    2005 Mazda MPS6 Radiant Ebony Luxury-Pack

Hey mate off memory I think I run a fully synthetic 5W-40 - Penrite. Mazda use their own oil, which is probably in a drum and probably used for most of their cars when servicing. You can use the Penrite "oil selector" if you wish for a more professional recommendation, but if you only need a small top up, I wouldn't worry about it (I've get less in mine than recommended anyway) or just replace with a little fully synthetic if you got some

Oil Recommendations - Penrite Oil

[ - Click the "cars and 4wd" type in "Mazda" click "see all results" down the bottom, scroll to the one you want This is mine anyway FYI as per their recommendation ]

Make MAZDA
    Model Mazda 6 2.3 MPS (DISI - 191kW)
    Engine G
    Year 2005 - 2007

Application Recommendation Capacity (ltr)

Engine (G) HPR 5 5.7
    Manual Transmission Transaxle 75 (a)
    Automatic Transmission -
    Differential From Gearbox
    Coolant (35%) Premium AF/AB (a)
    Brake Fluid Brake Fluid 525
    Power Steering Power Steering Fluid
    Rear Differential First Choice Hypoid 80W-90 May also Use Transaxle 75
    Transfer Box First Choice Hypoid 80W-90 May also Use Transaxle 75

With great power comes great fuel consumption...
    M P S
    - 6 - RR | Cobb AP | CAI | TIP | ATP GTX28R | 3.25" TMIC | SS DP | REM | 3" Zorst | SSP Anchors & Countershift | DBA Rotors | K/Springs | Upper & Lower Bracing | Alpine Type S 12" sub MRP-M500 Amp
    | Grille | STi Lip | Shark Fin | 6000K HID | Fog Light Tint | Twin DEFI gauges | Custom Decals & Badges | LED lighting | CF Mirrors & Pillars | Black rims Red callipers

20. Default

I generally keep a bottle of 10W-40 Mobil SupersynthS if I ever need to top up my oil

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast