User Tag List

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Oil type/changes

Quote Originally Posted by 240MPS View Post
    Well there you go, you of never thought that. Well done Mal I think I might get a direct bat line to you for when I get confused talking to people with all these wonderful ideas....
    Not having a go at you at all, more directed at the oodles of guys who have been indoctrinated into the 5000km myth. Main thing is I hope it's helpful.

Gone to Volvo

I'm aware of that, I read all of it yesterday and bought it back to life because of the 5000k myth because if mazda say 10,000k's it should be ok and it's only because I listen to people I get it done every 5000k's. So thanks, I will be re evaluating my spending.. And I also mention different oil types and to stay clear of Mobil 1 in the MPS which I used in my HSV's....???????

That's a much more difficult question. I've used Mobil 1 a lot over the years and I've used it in the MPS but I use Castrol now, only because it's cheaper than Mobil 1 and I don't consider it be inferior.

I've seen a Mazda recommendation to avoid 5w-30 in cars that have problems with smoking, but I've never seen any evidence to justify specifically avoiding Mobil 1.

Is it just your mechanics opinion, or is there something more to it?

Just the guys that work on the MPS Race Car, I just can't remember the reason now.

Thanks Mal, another good explaination.

One question, my wife has a DI turbo VW Jetta and most of her driving is short runs (15-30 mins) we take it on a good country run (800kms) approx twice a year. I also take it for an occasional spirited run, with the explaination that the motor needs a good run to make it last (but seriously I enjoy giving it a good squirt )

VW recommend 15,000km or 12 month service intervals, given the short runs should I be changing the oil at the half way point?
    Thanks
    Chris
    R36 - Just like an MPS6 except with a growly V6

Really interesting info there Mal,
    I think one of the key reasons there is such a vast difference between change intervals on the US & European markets is the oil that is specified in each respective country, I recall reading that the Mazdaspeeds in the US were specced to run on something like a 5w20 (due to emission or economy regulations?), where as we have a much broader spectrum to choose from, 10w40 being the more popular choice, this is possibly also why so many cars are blowing up over there, the oil is probably about as protective as dish soap towards the end of its cycle, throw 300whp on top of that and stuffs gonna break.

Out of curiosity, what are your thoughts on full (totally lab made) synthetic, vs a synthetic derived from a mineral base (i.e Royal Purple), I have heard some very mixed reviews on both and their respective applications in both turbo & NA applications.
    Some believe the mineral based oils are better run in turbo engines as the additional heat and stresses break down the synthetic oils quicker, conversely the synthetics are better suited to race prepped high revving NA motors as they offer better protection in these scenarios, and I have also heard the complete opposite to these examples.

I am sceptical about the full 10k service life though, attached is a UOA on my Royal Purple after 8500 k's, its showing signs of breaking down and it is advised that this is a good change interval.
    Can I get your thoughts on this particular test result, I know fuel dilition is up, we all know that is the bane of a DI engine.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Nearly all men can stand adversity. But if you want to test a man's character - give him power.
    Abraham Lincoln

Frequent short runs could increase the quantity of soluble contamination in the oil. I've known people who found the oil level on their dipstick increased over time because they only used their car for short trips.

If you're worried about it just take it out for a squirt more often and boil the crap off while having fun.

It's true what you say about needing a good run, especially DI engines.

How dirty does your oil get when u guys do your own changes.
    Im at 5000km now and I checked my dipstick last nite any my oil is darkish tan color.

Matt I think the analysis is fine. It's natural for the viscosity to increase as the oil ages, in fact it probably got near that value at the end of the boil-off phase around 2,500-3,000 km and the rate of increase tapered off after that.

It's a balancing act to manage increasing viscosity in old oil against the volatility and engine contamination of new oil. But given that we start with fairly thin high-quality synthetic I don't think we would be too likely to enter any danger zones at a modest 10,000km.

I guess it's possible there are issues with RP similar to those we read about in the gear oil analysis, but I wouldn't know anything about that.

As for the question of types of synthetic: I believe it's an issue of comparing polymer performance. At the molecular level, it's the curled-up and inter-twined polymers that physically separate the metal surfaces inside an engine. With exposure to heat and physical pressure the polymers eventually unravel and separate resulting in their failure to keep the metal surfaces separated. From what I've read, I would expect the man-made synthetic polymers to better withstand those stresses and therefore to last longer.

Gone to Volvo

I got a oil analysis done at the 10,000km interval (car had 50,000km on the clock) & it was all good. According to the report I could have extended it for my type of driving (90% freeway) but I am going to keep changing as per Mazda recommendations every 10,000km & I use Shell Helix Ultra 10W-40.

11. Default

Hmm..

Unfortunately, my car is at 46k kms and im one of those idiots who changes their oil every 5k's. [Used Honda FEO 10w30 Mineral Oil up to 35K. Started using Castrol 5W30 after that]

I just changed the oil as well.. -_-".. I will leave the oil to 10k for a while. Saves me money i guess.

Have to say though, car still feels alrite. Just the exhaust pipe goes black after 1 day.. soo. **shrugs

Ok the guys do recommend that it be serviced every 5000K's depending on how you drive your car; If you look at normal driving conditions to service your car every 10,000k's then you would start your car up in the morning or afternoon with a warm up and within short driving distance you will hit the hwy and sit on a steady 100k's an hour everyday.....
    Otherwise most of us stop start through red lights, peak hour traffic that would not be considered as normal driving conditions, for a lot of people that would be considered has normal driving conditions because that's what your use to..... It depends how you read the small print once again.... Then of course are the one's that like to give it a bit here and there.... Written in plain english...
    Like sand in the hour glass are the days of my life.

Some people come into our lives and quickly go. Some stay for a while, leave footprints on our hearts, and we are never, ever the same.
    You will be in our prays
    Leelu.

On page 8-13 of the handbook has a graph with recommended engine oil viscosity's.

Grade/Viscosity is temperature related - so please don't use anything less than a 10w oil - less than 10w oils are for cold areas (snow). Australia's average temperature is fairly high therefore a heavier oil is required.

I change every 5,000 kilometres oil & filter or six months - whatever comes first. Do that with all the cars - overdoing yes, but that's just me.

For normal use non turbo every 10,000 or 12 months adequate. Turbo temp makes requirement for more care.

From a teaching point for the trade - changing oil within specified time and mileage with the correct rating is well and truly adequate. Oil brand is really irrevelant providing you obey the manufacturers recommendation for viscosity and API or SAI ratings and change intervals.

From a personal point of view, I use Valvoline Durablend 15w50. I have read a good few of independent oil tests (part of the job) on a variety of oils and the Valvoline performed better than Royal Purple/Penrite/Mobil 1 and Castrol Magnatec - only marginally, but at the price - Valvoline is way in front.

I will continue to service my car every 5000k's and Allstar Tuning has won the contract to replace mazda service doing the 10,000k services where allstar were only doing the 5000k ones....

My service manager reccommended 5W30, Location: Sydney....

Quote Originally Posted by VGP View Post
    My service manager reccommended 5W30, Location: Sydney....
    Read your handbook - lots recommend 5w30 oil but are doing so from advice from European or Japanese articles - obviously the articles are correct for their region.

Global Warming makes Australia a hot place - oil thins with heat.

The theory behind 5W oils is that it reduces engine wear due to being pumped quicker through the system at cold start. This is very true, but if the ambient temperature is already in the 20 degrees or even higher (no minus degree temps) there is no need for the thin oil and as the temperature rises, particularly turbo engines, the oil thins dramatically.

Thanks for the thread, guys...was going to buy the Catrol Edge 5W-30 for my upcoming 20,000 km service, but I think I may go for the Valvoline SynPower 10W-50, going for under $50 from Supercheap Auto...

Dont use any oil less then Motul 10w 40

---------- Post added at 11:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:55 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Q-ship View Post
    Thanks for the thread, guys...was going to buy the Catrol Edge 5W-30 for my upcoming 20,000 km service, but I think I may go for the Valvoline SynPower 10W-50, going for under $50 from Supercheap Auto...
    Use Penrite 5W 30, dont use cheap castrol stuff

---------- Post added at 11:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:56 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Q-ship View Post
    "THE PATH OF THE GTI-R IS BESET WITH PERIL BY THE INJUSTICES OF THE SPEED CAMERA AND THE TYRANNY OF OTHER DRIVERS. BLESSED IS HE WHO OVERTAKES THE EVO & STI THROUGH THE VALLEY OF HAIRPIN TURNS, FOR HE IS TRULY HIS CAR'S TUNER AND THE FINDER OF LOST HORSEPOWER. . . AND WE SHALT STRIKE DOWN WITH GREAT BOOST AND FURIOUS ACCELERATION ON WHOEVER DOTH ATTEMPT TO OBSTRUCT OR DELAY OUR OVERTAKING. . .
    BMW M3 Evo Coming to the R stable soon. . .

i use penrite 10w 50,i find this stuff great,just my two cents.

Quote Originally Posted by LILZLR View Post
    Dont use any oil less then Motul 10w 40

---------- Post added at 11:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:55 PM ----------

---------- Post added at 11:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:56 PM ----------

Even though Penrite is a good product and I highly recommend Penrite - I would be careful using a 5w30 oil as it is designed for colder climates than Australia. Please check the temperature graph in your handbook.
    Made even worse by the heat generated in turbo engines.

Just as a footnote"- I put 5w30 Valvoline durablend at the last service by mistake - engine noticeably noisier and it burnt a touch. Except for the Burrawang Cruise it has all been local "old man cruising" around town. As I service every 6 months the car has done less than 3,000 k's since, I changed to Valvoline 15w50 Durablend (oil I normally use)- engine sounds much better.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast