User Tag List

Thread: "Cold weather cut"

Default "Cold weather cut"

Hey all, think I finally got to the bottom of what feels like boost or fuel cut in my 6.. I only just found some threads on it here and here (no CEL and it appears to be fairly common on the 6s). This is exactly my issue and it only happens in cold weather (around 10 degrees and it did it in 3rd gear WOT today)
    I will put logs up shortly, it is difficult to capture due to the weather changing, however I wanted to ask someone who knows a little more about ATR than me. Is it safe to up the fuel cut to ~ 20psi ("go into the accesstuner and set your fuel cut to 20psi and you will see that it doesnt do that anymore. I did the same to mine and my fuel pressure is still 1650-1750 and AFR's are 11.3-11.8. ive had no problems since i upped my fuel cut"), or reduce WGDC by ~ xx% (also mentioned as a fix, obviously the percentage will depend on how much adjustment I have in my logs) for this? If it is relatively safe, I would like to go ahead and modify these values and do some testing... @SarcasticOne :P
    I would assume when etuning, this can be 'tuned out'?

For reference regarding my problem:
    "Issue could also be the infamous "Cold Weather Cut". When you're doing a pass, does the car feel like an anchor has completely stopped you for a moment? Does the issue primarily happen in colder weather? Monitor your WGDC and see if it stays at 0 during boost. Basically, Christian talked before about how the cold air affects the diaphram of our wastegate. If you're boosting and the wastegate is showing 0, and the maf is showing around 5.4, you'll experience a violent boost cut because the car thinks its overboosting since it sees the wastegate is closed and it still can't control the boost. This is currently my problem, even though my HPFP is showing steady pressure."

Would I be correct in saying in the attached image, the cells in red would have to be adjusted to allow for a higher fuel cut? (I am not adjusting these dont worry lol)

Darren
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	46.7 KB 
ID:	12595  
    Last edited by dazza; 06-10-2012 at 07:55 PM.
    '05 6 MPS | BNR S3 | JBR 3.5" Intake | Corksport Airbox | CP-E 3.25" TMIC | M2 DP | CP-E CBE | CP-E/TT Diff Mounts | Autotech HPFP Internals | JBR REM, PMM, TMM | SURE Shortcut | SURE Countershift | SURE Anchors | Denso ITV22s | JBR TIGs | EGR Delete | Coolant Bypass | PTP Inj Seals | MD OCC | H&R Springs | Bilstein B8 Shocks | Car-LED Tails | Badgeless Grille | 6000k HIDs | OZ Ultraleggera 18x8 +48

i suffer this but have never been logging at the time. i've thought once I get an etune it should get sorted as previously running a Standback I didnt get it (but without the SB tune I did get it)
    I'm now on an AP with Stage1 (stock everything map even though im close to a stage2, just havent had time to install hpfp internals and then figure out maf calculations for the map version I use - running the JBR 3.5" Widepath intake)

Edit:
    Just updated AP with a Stage1 231 (Stock + MAF multiplied) map so will give that a try tomorrow and see
    Last edited by KRNAGE; 06-10-2012 at 08:45 PM.
    Former 06 Black MPS3

EXE-Crew

Check your Air flow in g's and MAF voltage.
    If your on stock sized MAF housing and it near 320g/s or 5V at WOT then your MAF could be causing a cut due to maxing it out

Will have a looky

Didn't think Maxing out the MAF on a stock k04 was possible lol