User Tag List

Thread: 1st gear whine...terminal?

1. Default 1st gear whine...terminal?

I have a stock '06 6mps with 130k on the clock.
    it's got an awful whine from the front left hand side when accelerating in 1st with 50% throttle or more.
    at the last service, Mazda identified a broken engine mount (again...3rd or 4th replacement since new), which improved, but didn't completely fix it.
    I asked Mazda to advise if I am up for a gearbox, transfer case, other mount, but the tech didn't give me any feedback,many had gone by the time I picked the car up.
    Can anyone recommend an experienced mps6 mechanic/tuner in Brisbane? I am keen to get a bit more performance, but don't want to waste my money if the driveline isn't up to it.
    Cheers.

Broken engine mount?? What the? Which ones??

As for the whine it would almost suggest like something to do with the diff... Especially on the left side of things.. But see what the others suggest here...

As with experienced mechanic/tuners in Brisbane, you have alot of options including site supporter here Troy (2XS) that does alot of custom work for members. Otherwise, theres alot of information on here in terms of tunning the ECU - Cobb Accessport, Chiptorque (i believe they do mps6s?) etc etc

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by 3MPSPWR View Post
    Broken engine mount?? What the? Which ones??

As for the whine it would almost suggest like something to do with the diff... Especially on the left side of things.. But see what the others suggest here...

As with experienced mechanic/tuners in Brisbane, you have alot of options including site supporter here Troy (2XS) that does alot of custom work for members. Otherwise, theres alot of information on here in terms of tunning the ECU - Cobb Accessport, Chiptorque (i believe they do mps6s?) etc etc
    I don't remember which engine mount off the top of my head, but it's pretty common in 6 MPS, as they use the same engine mount as the standard 6, and the extra torque kills them.

I don't think it is diff, as it is only in 1st under medium to high load. 100% load in 2nd doesn't cause it for example. Also, is there a diff in the front end of the 6 MPS seeing as it is AWD?

Cheers

there's a diff inbuilt in the gearbox which drives to your transfer case and left axle, which is to the left of the drivers side, the transfer case drives your right axle and rear diff

i have seen the transfer ripped out and replaced with a welded center diff in a hi-HP drag 6 in the state's

6. Default

Well, after all that - we have a winner!
    The car has been to the MAZDA dealer for the last 3 services (on distance rather than time as I drive high klms). All 3 I specifically identified the problem noise. Prior to the 3rd service I said it had to be engine mount, so I asked them to order one in as I was sure it would have to be replaced. The did the service and said there was nothing wrong with the engine mount I made them order.
    I asked if they checked all the other engine, gearbox and transfer case mounts, to which I was told "They would have checked them all". So I left, expecting to be up for a gearbox and/or transfer case rebuild sooner rather than later.
    1 month later I had the car in for 4 new tyres, and after fitting and balance, one of the fitters took the car for a lap around the block.
    On his return, he lifted the bonnet and within 10 seconds said "Hey Boss, the engine mount on this is f**ked". Without removing any plastic or any tools other than a torch, he showed me the damaged & leaking mount under the battery.
    Anyhoo, I told him about my wonderful experience with Mazda, and he spoke to a mate in Mazda to check if it could be claimed on warranty (unfortunately not - twas the other one that's been done a few times).
    Turns out the tyre mob have a workshop as well.
    I dropped the car in one morning, they inspected and also found the gearbox mount to be in 2 pieces (explains a lot). Ordered both parts (2 different dealers as no Brisbane dealer had both parts), fitted and finished by 4PM the same day. Legend!
    It's like a new car. Gear shift was a bit stiff and rubbery initially, but it has worn in nicely now, and it now puts all the power to the ground without fuss, knock, whine, or other concerning noise.
    Summary - that MAZDA dealer is NEVER seeing my car again, and NEVER selling me a car again.
    The car will spend the rest of its days being serviced by the workshop attached to the tyre shop.
    Although I am very tempted to name and shame the dealer, I will bite my tongue for the moment.
    If however you are after tyres at a great price, with great service and a workshop that knows what they are doing, let me know.

Just tell us the suburb that'll suffice.

We need at least an idea mate, could save someone else a few $$$...........

Quote Originally Posted by 12tre View Post
    Well, after all that - we have a winner!
    The car has been to the MAZDA dealer for the last 3 services (on distance rather than time as I drive high klms). All 3 I specifically identified the problem noise. Prior to the 3rd service I said it had to be engine mount, so I asked them to order one in as I was sure it would have to be replaced. The did the service and said there was nothing wrong with the engine mount I made them order.
    I asked if they checked all the other engine, gearbox and transfer case mounts, to which I was told "They would have checked them all". So I left, expecting to be up for a gearbox and/or transfer case rebuild sooner rather than later.
    1 month later I had the car in for 4 new tyres, and after fitting and balance, one of the fitters took the car for a lap around the block.
    On his return, he lifted the bonnet and within 10 seconds said "Hey Boss, the engine mount on this is f**ked". Without removing any plastic or any tools other than a torch, he showed me the damaged & leaking mount under the battery.
    Anyhoo, I told him about my wonderful experience with Mazda, and he spoke to a mate in Mazda to check if it could be claimed on warranty (unfortunately not - twas the other one that's been done a few times).
    Turns out the tyre mob have a workshop as well.
    I dropped the car in one morning, they inspected and also found the gearbox mount to be in 2 pieces (explains a lot). Ordered both parts (2 different dealers as no Brisbane dealer had both parts), fitted and finished by 4PM the same day. Legend!
    It's like a new car. Gear shift was a bit stiff and rubbery initially, but it has worn in nicely now, and it now puts all the power to the ground without fuss, knock, whine, or other concerning noise.
    Summary - that MAZDA dealer is NEVER seeing my car again, and NEVER selling me a car again.
    The car will spend the rest of its days being serviced by the workshop attached to the tyre shop.
    Although I am very tempted to name and shame the dealer, I will bite my tongue for the moment.
    If however you are after tyres at a great price, with great service and a workshop that knows what they are doing, let me know.
    Hi 12tre,

i was wondering who the tyre/workshop was?