User Tag List

Thread: Natural progression of mods.how would you do it?

Default Natural progression of mods.how would you do it?

with all the posibilities out there, things we can do to our cars, and things that really should be done, and failures, what mods would you do to your MPS and in what order / grouping?

would you do engine mount6s, clutch, front swaybar and dump pipe all at once or seperalty?
    would you do short throw and counterweights before intake?

heres what i'm thinking so far,

aiming at a reliable 250kw by the end of all work. fast street car thats not silly to drive every day.
    .................................................. .................................................. .............................
    *replace brake pads and discs when they need it, around 60000kms slotted discs and good pads, front $400 - $600 rear a bit less.
    if you wanna get serious then slap some bigger discs and callipers in there. depends how deep your pockets are.

*1, fuel pump and AP with relevant stock motor tune to remove torque limits and clean up the extra fat factory fuel map. $1000 ish and sets you up for future mods.

*2, Blow off valve, couse by this age your stock one is probably leaking $450

*3, short shifter, weights etc, we all know how shit the clutch is, so at least this will make the shift feel a bit nicer. $600 ?

*4, Cold air intake, box, turbo inlet whatever form you want to use. $600 ? update AP tune to suit

*5, Dump pipe and cat, $600 full exhaust if you like, another $600 ? update AP tune again,

*6, somewhere in there you should be looking at suspension upgrades as well.
    rear swaybar, springs and shocks, $1000 or coilovers if you can spare the coin.. +$800

*7, wheels if you havent already gone there, $1500+ with good tyres $800+

*8, engine mounts (if they havent already crapped out) clutch & flywheel and front swaybar $2000

*9, by this point your MPS is pretty serious, you will probably be looking to upgrade the turbo by now. $1500+
    should probably do injector seals as well $500
    maybe even do a serious upgrade.. large turbo like GT3076 $1800 manifold $600 new dump pipe $600 can probably sell your old one for a couple hundred, oil feed lines, gaskets etc $200 and exterman gate if you want $800

*10, this should have you well and trully at your desired power level. and the only real big step forward from here is an engine build.. $10k or more. but this would see your potential power level go up alot as it would now cope with alot more boost if you wnated to.

pretty sure i've missed some stuff, but its 3am so whatever...
    whats your view on this, what would you do different?
    are my estimated costs close?
    also, what brands would you use for certain items?
    Last edited by TWENTY B; 28-09-2012 at 03:02 AM.

Default Re: Natural progression of mods.how would you do it?

I've done a few items different to this order. Having now got them, I wish I'd done rear engine mount and rear sway bar sooner.

Also, I feel like I'm the only one who doesn't mind the stock shift feel! First to second can be a bit notchy but the REM helped that. I wouldn't do anything else to the shift, except perhaps some shifter bushings if I could be bothered to remove any unwanted movement from the stock ones.

That's just my personal preference though. People further down their mod path can comment on their experience with the rest.

Sent from my GT-I9210T using Tapatalk 2

Seems all pretty spot on to me - my only added 2c is that more than 200fwkw is a waste of time on these cars. Keep it torquey, go for max area under the curve and you will have a better car for the street any day of the week.

+1 to RSB and REM early on: cheap, easy and effective. Tyres early too, big difference even on stock power

Also probably want to factor in an e-tune when you get up there on power.

Boost controller too i guess if you go BT.

Intercooler? Did I miss that in there?

Sent from my evil apple using TapaCrash

Oops, double post.
    Last edited by Lachlan; 28-09-2012 at 11:45 AM.

Tyres, REM and I will be putting a RSB soon into mine. Then Hypertech

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk 2

how transferable is this order to the MPS6?

Dont do the GT3076 go the Gt3071 or GTX3071. Dont go 250kwatw on standard internals without $6000+ spare in the bank. if you do go that much power on standard internals any vibrations through the clutch stop car straight away, or that cost will go up $9000+ with a rod through the block!

You can use 240kwatw+ in these cars, my old gen 1 has 240kw GARRETT GT3076 it holds 3rd, 2nd just lets go... The bigger turbo allows speed to increase so you are traveling faster when max torque is hit.. My gen2 with a bnrS2 brakes free easier with only 214kw due to more torque down low

And add 200 bucks to every part you listed.

Dump pipe seems too cheap..
    Also add brake fluid.. It will make more of a difference than rotors.

And I'm pretty sure you are missing intercooler. May want to look into water meth injection.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Somewhere in there I'd add a front lip and wing extension. But that's personal preference.
    Last edited by TWENTY B; 30-09-2012 at 03:37 PM.

How much should the dump pipe cost?
    How much would a front mount kit be and where would you include it?
    I would never put water/meth on a street car. And I don't see how brake fluid would change anything at all.

Quote Originally Posted by TWENTY B View Post
    How much should the dump pipe cost?
    How much would a front mount kit be and where would you include it?
    I would never put water/meth on a street car. And I don't see how brake fluid would change anything at all.
    About 1300 fitted or about 650 for dump.
    http://www.edgeautosport.com/cobb-tu...-downpipe-ms3/

Fluid will make lots of a difference. Especially on the track, mostly increased feel and boiling point reducing fade.

About 600 for tmic and 1000 for fmic. All the other prices could have nearly 200 added.

Use the edge autosport Site for pricing. In terms of mod order I'd use cobbs methodology since most are running ap these days.

Good work though :-)

I'd say
    Sri
    Tip
    Rear mount
    Dp
    Brake pads and fluid
    Rear sway bar
    Hpfp
    Ap
    Intercooler
    Bov
    New rubber
    Brake rotors
    Springs and shocks or coilovers
    Camber arms, anti lift kit, bump steer kit
    Turbo
    Big maf
    Big brake kit
    Internals

Last edited by Jmac; 30-09-2012 at 07:29 PM.
    MY16 WRX STi Crystal White Pearl
    -= Rally Armour Flaps - 2XS Muffler Delete =-

FG FPV F6 MKII Vixen - SOLD
    -= Bluepower SRI - ID1000 Injectors - Venom Cat - XCAL3 - ProcessWest Stg2 Intercooler - 359 RWKW=-

CX9 Grand Touring Stormy Blue
    -= The rolling armchair =-

6 MPS Velocity Red - SOLD
    -=Cat Back Exhaust - Pirelli PZero=-

3 MPS Aurora Blue - SOLD
    -=PG SRI - PG Inlet - ETS TMIC - GFB Hybrid BOV - Best Mufflers DP - Eibach Pro - AccessPort STG2 - Autotech HPFP - ITV22 - Michelin PSS=-

Suspension and tyre setup would be the forefront for me, on any car I'd purchased stock. Before anything else.

Then ensure brakes will suit the direction you want to take your mods.

I really didn't appreciate how much a good handling setup can affect an average car until a few years ago trialling a stock vs my own car. Making the car 'safely predictable' is now at the forefront of any 'mod-thoughts' I have.

16. Default

agree with LukeN get your sussy done, tyres and brakes setup for more power money wasted if you cant put it to the ground or stop for that matter.

Brake upgrades are overrated unless for track use.
    Most of the mods you do short of upgrading calipers are just going to stop fade and not decrease stopping distance that much.

yup, these things stop fine, basic disc and pad upgrades are fine for most of us.