User Tag List

Thread: 2005 Mazda 6 mps turbo upgrade

Default 2005 Mazda 6 mps turbo upgrade

Hey guys

im pretty new (brand new) to the forum i purchased a white mazda 6 mps about 6 months with the idea to keep it as a daily... but some how that never goes to plan! At the moment all she has is a custom cat back exhaust. Thought id be happy just doing the exhaust and leaving the rest but as the majority of you would know once you start you just dont stop. Now unfortunately (not really) need to replace the turbo as the seals are leaking which apparently is a common problem with the standard turbos due to mazda being retarded.

i have a CP-E Standback2 PNP on its way and looking at 3'' mazdaspeed down pipe.

more importantly im looking at putting a garrett GT2871R mazdaspeed turbo kit that bolts straight on. ive heard some people think they are to small? im not chasing a shit load of power just want something a bit more 'exciting' with minimal lag. and something that wont end in a thrown rod or blown engine.

Just after some advice if any one has tried or herd any negative/positive things about the turbo or anything else that i might need. im not to fussed with leaving the standard top mount as ive herd that they are decent and its worth spending money on other things before upgrading to a front.

Any help or advise would be greatlyyyy appreciated

Thanks

Default Re: 2005 Mazda 6 mps turbo upgrade

Ditch the stand back, it'll only end badly...
    Get either versatuner, access port, or something else, but stand back is millions of types of fail...
    Don't run a 2871 without upgraded fuel pump/intercooler/intake as well...

Start with a basic generic tune that versatune/access port/hyper tech offers and go from there, jumping straight to a 2871 is just silly, and it'll likely put a rod through your block.

Mate I'm no expert but from what I have read these are one of the better options for our cars. And some of the guys have had good results and maintained drivability with the BNR options. I'm sure some of the lads will chime in but if you have a poke round on the forums you will find loads of info. Turbo :: Turbos | MPS Garage

Default 2005 Mazda 6 mps turbo upgrade

Get the BNR S3 for simplicity, and use an AP or versatuner for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by SarcasticOne View Post
    Get either versatuner, access port, or something else, but stand back is millions of types of fail...

Start with a basic generic tune that versatune/access port/hyper tech offers and go from there, jumping straight to a 2871 is just silly, and it'll likely put a rod through your block.
    Im with Sam on the standback get rid of it. As for the Turbo what are you after top end or daily driver? what power output is your aim?
    Many want Power not many hold it long.........

Quote Originally Posted by SarcasticOne View Post

Welcome, great looking car you have there!!

Yep, Sam's on the money regarding the tune. Haven't heard much good come of the stand back and there are newer, more effective tuning options on the market. Including the hyped about AP (there are a few threads about it, pretty popular)

Not too familiar with that turbo, most guys I know of go for the BNR stage 1 turbo as a replacement. You might be able to get away with stock pump with that setup although a tune will help get the most potential out of the turbo. Other options guys typically go for are the BNR stage III turbo or the Garret GT3071.

The TMIC is "ok" but not as good as an upgrade. It depends what you want to do with the car in the end and how much cash. Obviously upgrading the intake, cooler, turbo, tune, intercooler will yield much greater gains. Heat soak is a bit of an issue to with the TMIC so I've modified mine a touch.

For the moment my turbo is still going ok so can't see a reason to upgrade

Hope that helps...Throw up some pics

With great power comes great fuel consumption...
    M P S
    - 6 - RR | Cobb AP | CAI | TIP | ATP GTX28R | 3.25" TMIC | SS DP | REM | 3" Zorst | SSP Anchors & Countershift | DBA Rotors | K/Springs | Upper & Lower Bracing | Alpine Type S 12" sub MRP-M500 Amp
    | Grille | STi Lip | Shark Fin | 6000K HID | Fog Light Tint | Twin DEFI gauges | Custom Decals & Badges | LED lighting | CF Mirrors & Pillars | Black rims Red callipers

I have just done the BNR stage 3 (which is a gt28 turbo) upgrade on my car, i have the supporting mods to go with it, fuel pump would be the most important with the tune, you may be able to run that turbo without intake cooler etc if you do a 'safe' tune on the car using cobb AP or versa tune, AP may be the better option as it leaves room for future mods although versatune is good too. If you dont want to get all these mods straight away maybe stick with the BNR stage 1 then do the mods afterwoods ull still make some good gains with that turbo. Having said that i am really liking my Stage 3 defs pulls harder than the stocker.
    SOLD |2005 MPS 6| BNR Stage 3 | Cobb AP | AEM CAI | CP-E TIP | CP-E TMIC | Autotech HPFP | CP-E DP | CPE CBE | H&R Coils | SPC Ball Joints | DBA Slotted Rotors | HKS SSQ BOV | Cobb EBC | JBR Short Shift + Heavy Gear Knob| LED Tail Lights | Black Powder Coated Rims | Corksport Front Strut | CP-E Rear Engine Mount | CP-E Injector Seals | Denso Spark Plugs | Perm Tune

BT-50 yeah i know your impressed

What's the downside to the standback and what makes the others superior? Haven't been able to find a bad review on the standbag as of yet...

Finding a tuner you can use it correctly (ask @RedDjinn)
    USA and Australia is very different.
    Something like the AP is far simpler, better supported, cheaper, lots of fun and cool extra features and easily reversable

Default Re: 2005 Mazda 6 mps turbo upgrade

Quote Originally Posted by Stephie View Post
    What's the downside to the standback and what makes the others superior? Haven't been able to find a bad review on the standbag as of yet...
    Interceptor vs flash tune.
    One is a tune and one tricks your standard ecu.

Start with the stickies in the ecu tuning section :-)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
    MY16 WRX STi Crystal White Pearl
    -= Rally Armour Flaps - 2XS Muffler Delete =-

FG FPV F6 MKII Vixen - SOLD
    -= Bluepower SRI - ID1000 Injectors - Venom Cat - XCAL3 - ProcessWest Stg2 Intercooler - 359 RWKW=-

CX9 Grand Touring Stormy Blue
    -= The rolling armchair =-

6 MPS Velocity Red - SOLD
    -=Cat Back Exhaust - Pirelli PZero=-

3 MPS Aurora Blue - SOLD
    -=PG SRI - PG Inlet - ETS TMIC - GFB Hybrid BOV - Best Mufflers DP - Eibach Pro - AccessPort STG2 - Autotech HPFP - ITV22 - Michelin PSS=-