User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How hard do u drive your mazda mps 3?

Default How hard do u drive your mazda mps 3?

Hey guys thought this would be an interesting thread, how hard do u guys drive your mps's? This is my first turbo car and with the mps in particular being highly strung standard. Im curious as to.how often you guys drive them hard and do u wot to redline.or just ride the torque wave? I tend.to feel guilty after giving it abit in 2, 3 or4th haha

Mitch

90% of the time, like a grandma...
    10% of the time, like i stole it sees 5500+ rpm semi-regularly

Yeh id say that would be me when I have the urge its a 5500 upshift, other then that,mainly 3000rpm shifts, I must say the clutch really takes some mastering in these things, especially on,take off its often hard to take off cleanly and ive only ever driven manuals

4. Default Re: How hard do u drive your mazda mps 3?

I rarely find the need to use 100% of the car's potential, especially on public roads, I find it much more enjoyable (and smooth) to use the abundance of torque that we have.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Not a day goes by that it doesn't see ~5000-6000rpm (anything beyond that = making noise and doing nothing).

And without being illegal too. Freeway merge, speed up on the on-ramp @ WOT in 2nd instead of doing it slow, then 2nd-6th. Lots more fun than doing it the slow way, and sometimes arguably safer (amazing how many people won't move from the left lane when you need to get in and are running out of road).

Of course, its well and truly warmed up before that, ~10-15min drive (depending on traffic) from house to freeway.
    2011 Mazda 3 MPS

Quote Originally Posted by mymps11 View Post
    Yeh id say that would be me when I have the urge its a 5500 upshift, other then that,mainly 3000rpm shifts, I must say the clutch really takes some mastering in these things, especially on,take off its often hard to take off cleanly and ive only ever driven manuals
    I've found this too. I thought the heavy duty clutch in my E36 BMW was a pain, but this is a whole extra level of difficult to be smooth with.

I do about 80% grandma and 20% hoon. Luckily my commute to work is mostly 80-100kmph roads, so I can get my hoon fix.

When the engines cold pretty grandma but once its warmed up i drive my car pretty full on. Why have a powerful car if your not gonna make the most out of it i say. My missus hates my driving

If I said Spirited most of the time. It's in my DNA .

I don't waste any time on the road but I don't hoon. The only time I'll go WOT on the road is when I can see a long way ahead and when there's no other cars that could make a sudden move. There are too many variables that you can't control on the road that makes driving fast too dangerous. Other drivers are incompetent/unpredictable enough even at low speeds.

On the race track tho it's all rev limiter bashing late braking redline running tyre squealing shenanigans. When you drive like that on the track then hooning on the road is less exciting and just plain scary. Sheer speed doesn't tickle my prostate in the same way that perfect execution does either. I race for reasons other than getting a rush out of speed.
    Last edited by Reedy; 24-09-2012 at 09:52 AM.

when i first got my car and was used to the power, i was driving it like i stole it all over the place, now i'm more tamed and relaxed with it, usually shifting at about 4k rpm in t he first two gears and 2.5-3K for the rest, nowadays if i go full throttle it's to overtake someone, i drive through the Adelaide Hills to get to work so i get all the bends and twisty fun on my way to work, including a nice hairpin turn too, though i don't really aggressively drive those sections of road (they're quite bumpy, so WOT through there would probably put me in all sorts of problems) i do try to take the corners at the cars limit without slipping though, it's fun, but without going over the top with engine noise and tire squealing

I average 32km/h on my trip to and from work - it takes me an hour each way - I rarely touch the speed limit, and I don't drive it on weekends.

This is why I'm considering selling. It's a waste of a car for what I use it for.

Quote Originally Posted by Speed3 View Post
    Freeway merge, speed up on the on-ramp @ WOT in 2nd instead of doing it slow, then 2nd-6th. Lots more fun than doing it the slow way, and sometimes arguably safer (amazing how many people won't move from the left lane when you need to get in and are running out of road).
    Mmm, Freeway on-ramps are fun... but it is indeed amazing how many people have no idea how to use them. People meander slowly down them hoping for a gap big enough to slot into then accelerate up to freeway speed. I have actually been stuck behind one person who STOPPED at the freeway end of the ramp waiting for a gap...

Chris.
    '05 MPS 6, Liquid Silver Metallic, Leather, Sunroof.

DashHawk, TurboSmart Dualport, COBB SF SRI and TIP, CPe REM, 2XS Titanium SSP, Coolant bypass,
    Exedy OEM spec clutch, Corksport SS Braided Clutch Line, ROH Mantis 18*7.5+45.

Growing old is compulsory... Growing up is optional...

Drive it daily, its to narly to drive anywhere near its potential on the roads, maybe it will see 3,500rpm once a day if i'm off going to work and such.

If i plan on going for drive though would see 5,000 semi regularly and sometimes redline... Don't forget it an MPS and is built and design to be driven to its performance limit. If you're only doing 2,000rpm and can't even get a chance to open it up, you really should get a SP23 or 25 lol, like @SMOKEY said its a waste of car, which in his case is a shame since he has a good idea about how to modify it and is a car enthusiast, gl with the sale mate
    MPSX-treme

2006 MPS Sports True Red - HP-F Mazedit tune + Other go fast bits - DGR Coilovers + Semi Slicks - Numerous Sure Motorsport Additions - Dashhawk

Daily drive,

Belt the living daylights out of it if I'm late for work or a wicked tune is playing. Redline probably 80% of the time. Also depends on my mood, but generally like to drive it hard!!!
    Canberra has a great over pass from Barton HWY onto GDE near Mitchell. Great suspension test at speed

Daily, Mountain run up to the freeway, mountain run down from the freeway, pulling onto the freeway is always WOT... then hit cruise control at 120 and keep up with the traffic the rest of the way...

Most weekends that I'm home will entail some sort of drive up around the mountains near my house, love it... bought it to drive it, not sit it in the garage and look at it... yeah and a half, 60,000km still going strong!

Cant put a % on it.. last few days the brakes have got a massive serve and hard acceleration in 3rd to get it up to speed to stop again lol!! Learning what they do and how to brake them effectively

- - - Updated - - -

Prob once a day on average it sees 5000rpm

nice guys good too see that they hold up too abit of a thrashing, im loving the way they handle I wouldnt say I drive mine that hard at all compared to you guys haha most of the time its 3000rpm shifts but when i have some free road I like to give it a hit

Yeah, about the same. I love the way my car sounds, so that's the main reason I give it a good nudge. The Cobb AP makes it even easier to enjoy decibels!! It just wants to keep going

Im seriously considering the ap, how much diff does just removimg the limiters make?

I haven't tested the limiters. For me, it's the extra rush you get from 5000k onwards. Feels like how it should have been from factory.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast