User Tag List

Thread: bbk, need better rear pads for bias.

Default bbk, need better rear pads for bias.

Im after you opinions on the best brake pads for the rear of my 3MPS. I need them to grab fast and work when hot. As the fronts are a bit to strong when traveling under 80ks... I dropped my front tyre pressure from 39psi to 35psi this helped with fronts not locking up as fast.
    Last edited by RedDjinn; 21-09-2012 at 01:56 PM.

What pads are in the Brembos? Ferodo DS2500?

must have misread your post, i almost thought you were trying to put less grippy pads in the front!

my suggestion would be to look at a brake bias controller

have a read of this:

http://www.stoptech.com/technical-su...tioning-valves

(even though according to this paper i have made the common mistake of 'misnaming' the part lol - my bad 'a proportioning valve' - but the concept is there.)

I'm surprised though - how are they locking up? Do you mean ABS is kicking in? If so, it's not your brakes (front or rear) at fault here - they're doing their job better than ever; they're just stopping the car harder than the tyres can grip and the rears aren't even in the equation yet. I don't think you can overcome this unless you fit stickier tires. Or have you disabled your ABS?
    Last edited by SMOKEY; 21-09-2012 at 03:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SMOKEY View Post
    maybe rather than trying to blunt the performance of your upgraded brakes you should look at a brake bias controller?
    +1

Don't **** around with and complicate your system with bias controllers. Matching/contrasting pad compounds is all you need to do. Tuning suspension can help braking balance as well.

It's extremely common for people to run different compounds in the front vs rear at the track.

Assuming those brakes came with a Ferodo DS2500 or equivalent you could go for a DS3000 pad in the rear but that is a seriously angry pad, and it's more common for people to run a more aggressive pad in the front than the rear but in this case the balance has been switched with the big brake kit.
    Last edited by Reedy; 21-09-2012 at 03:11 PM.

I still maintain that if you're generating enough friction with the BBK to slow the disc fast enough to cause it to lock up - it's your tires that are the problem. You can't stop any quicker than the tires will grip - soon as they slip, you're in ABS/lockup, and you're braking ineffectively as the caliper 'pulses' on the rotor.

For anyone considering a BBK - might also be worth having a read of this test, which in summary says that unless you're tracking the car regularly and pushing it to the point of brake failure (like @Reedy), you're just wasting money, and that the stock setup will often stop you more quickly.

Project Acura RSX Type S Brake Test - Sport Compact Car Magazine
    Last edited by SMOKEY; 21-09-2012 at 03:20 PM.

Maybe im use to less braking on the front, the ABS kicks in and stops complete lock up of cuz. Feels the back needs a better biting pad on the rear, i have braided brake lines on there way for the rear this will help.

brake lines will improve pedal feel, but probably not going to stop your ABS/lockup woes.

what tyres are you running?

you've got to understand you're running some pretty serious brakes - they can quite easily overcome most tyres.

So back to my question, what pad bites well and works hot suggestions?

@Reedy im not sure what pads i got with the kit (they were installed into the caliper and i didnt take them out).

I have standard rear calipers in the rear, drilled and slotted rotors and posi quiet ceramic pads
    Last edited by RedDjinn; 21-09-2012 at 04:12 PM.

Posi quiet pads sound all kinds of gay. I'm not surprised at this, just bear in mind that your front wheels should pretty much always lock up before the rears. Rear brake lockup is one of the easiest ways to 360 a moving car (altho with ABS it's not really a concern)

Assuming that the Brembos came with a Ferodo 2500 or equivalent, QFM A1RM's should match them pretty well. Maybe Project Mu HC+ to try something slightly more aggressive. I wouldn't recommend the club racers I use cause they are shit when theyre cold. Altho in the rears that doesn't matter too much, they get up to temperature as soon as you touch the brakes anyway.

I'd go the QFM's first mainly cause they cost practically nothing and if the balance is still a bit wrong you can change it again with minimal hit to the finances.Uultimately tho it's a trial and error thing, nobody can tell you definitively what will and wont work without experimenting for themselves under the same conditions.
    Last edited by Reedy; 21-09-2012 at 04:18 PM.

B11.14.170 is the is the part number, im tryn to get the pad type

Know all about side ways .. Thats the reason i drive a FWD daily cant help myself but work angles every corner lol.. I dont mind the rear steping out

Ferodo FM1000 is in the mazda 3 kit this should be in mne

did you bleed the rear brakes when you did the fronts?

Quote Originally Posted by projectrracing View Post
    did you bleed the rear brakes when you did the fronts?
    Yes.