User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AMG to join V8 Supercars.

Default AMG to join V8 Supercars.

This should set the cat amongst the pigeons.

Clipsal 500

AMG to join GT-R and some glorified taxis next season.
    Adelaide, here I come.

GTR isn't racing. It's Nissan Altima.
    And to say "glorified taxis" is harsh yet funny. Mercedes are taxis too in a lot of countries.
    Stuff all to do with Holden, Fords, Nissans or Mercedes anyway.
    Bring back proper production racing

The Merc and Nissan will just be shells around tubes. What about the engines? Will they be an AMG 5l?

I was gonna cheer on Nissan next season but bring on AMG! The cars are all the same but engines differ and you can be pretty much assured that AMG will make the best ones of the bunch.

Quote Originally Posted by Reedy View Post
    I was gonna cheer on Nissan next season but bring on AMG! The cars are all the same but engines differ and you can be pretty much assured that AMG will make the best ones of the bunch.
    ^^this^^ Prob sound the best, nothing like a AMG sound track
    Many want Power not many hold it long.........

Quote Originally Posted by bd581 View Post
    And to say "glorified taxis" is harsh yet funny. Mercedes are taxis too in a lot of countries.
    "...harsh yet funny"
    Yep, that sounds like me!

I stand corrected on the GT-R comment.

I agree with you, though. What we see on the track has no relationship at all to what we see on the showroom floor.
    it will be interesting to see how much the under bellies of the AMG and the Altima have been "modified" to suit the very tight (narrow?) restrictions of the current series.

I'm tempted to throw in a quote from Gentleman Jim Richards here, but I reckon we'll hear it again when the first Nissan wins.

Pack of assholes!

Thats what makes the 12hr production race so good. Love the production cars over the V8's for that reason but would love to feel the atmosphere of the V8's. been told by a good mate its better than teh 12hr production race

Sound mix up the v8's a lot. Then again there nothing like the production cars anyway so it will be interesting to see what they do with a GTR in the mix.

Only talking about this at work yesterday to bring back showroom cars to racing, and then watch everyone walk into dealerships on Monday to buy cars .

Some of us would remember this.....Hmmm I bought my 1st car ( SLR5000 ) when brocky was racing them ....

Last edited by 240MPS; 21-09-2012 at 07:23 AM.
    Like sand in the hour glass are the days of my life.

Some people come into our lives and quickly go. Some stay for a while, leave footprints on our hearts, and we are never, ever the same.
    You will be in our prays
    Leelu.

Quote Originally Posted by TimmyMPS View Post
    Sound mix up the v8's a lot. Then again there nothing like the production cars anyway so it will be interesting to see what they do with a GTR in the mix.
    You realise Nissan make other cars besides the GTR?
    They are using the Nissan Altima NOT THE GTR
    All the touring cars are spec build chassis, gearbox, diff, brakes, suspension.
    The only difference is body shell (yet still modified to give equal aerodynamics) and engines.
    Holden use a Holden motorsports block based on the 304. Ford use a block based on the 302. Nissan use a sleeved 5.6 motor from the Patrol, which is also the motor they use for Lemans cars and the GTR GT1.
    Mercedes I assume will base their engine off the 5.5 motor they use in their cars now. Or possibly a modified DTM spec motor.
    No matter what engine is used they are all built to a set specification of peak power and RPM to keep things even.

All the touring cars are spec build chassis, gearbox, diff, brakes, suspension.
    The only difference is body shell (yet still modified to give equal aerodynamics) and engines.
    Holden use a Holden motorsports block based on the 304. Ford use a block based on the 302. Nissan use a sleeved 5.6 motor from the Patrol, which is also the motor they use for Lemans cars and the GTR GT1.
    Mercedes I assume will base their engine off the 5.5 motor they use in their cars now. Or possibly a modified DTM spec motor.
    No matter what engine is used they are all built to a set specification of peak power and RPM to keep things even.
    Its for this reason i like the production racing more. ALL TYPES of cars and still based on a road car

Im with Rino on this one bring back real cars, so we can feel like the super stars(but with less talent lol)

For probably the first time ever, I agree with Morley and what he wrote in Motor this month.
    If we still had proper production car racing like we did way back when, we would have better road cars.
    If a car couldn't compete, whatever was holding it back, would be improved.
    Back in the 70's the Monaros were running out of brakes. The solution was wheels with more holes, and to cut away the panel under the front bumper. Along with a few other mods needed, these were done on a few road cars too (dad did some of them) these are true Bathurst Monaros, and I don't think dad has seen one since. First thing he does when he sees a monaro is look under the bumper.
    Another mod done was on select XU1 toranas, a piece of square tube was welded into customers lower control arms as a reinforcement because the race cars were bending them

GTP Production cars were what got me interested in motorsports in the first place, back when the Dodge Viper and Ferrari 355 were tearing around Amaroo Park.

We have the production car category at the moment and the field is depressingly thin, and it is utterly dominated by EVOs. The MPS dominates its class in a similar way but the only competitor they have is a lame Type R integra.

As much as production car categories appeal to the consumer, the racing just isn't that exciting, and motorsports at the elite level are about their ability to entertain a crowd.

Quote Originally Posted by Reedy View Post
    GTP Production cars were what got me interested in motorsports in the first place, back when the Dodge Viper and Ferrari 355 were tearing around Amaroo Park.

We have the production car category at the moment and the field is depressingly thin, and it is utterly dominated by EVOs. The MPS dominates its class in a similar way but the only competitor they have is a lame Type R integra.

As much as production car categories appeal to the consumer, the racing just isn't that exciting, and motorsports at the elite level are about their ability to entertain a crowd.
    I remember that era. Was it Andrew Miedecke in the blue viper? I remember watching them at sandown. As a boy, to see the real road cars you dream of going full noise on a track is what interested me the most. Although the viper was always a let down - all straightline, no brakes haha. didn't sound that good either.

There was also a red C5 corvette going around at the same time - that thing sounded wicked. My fav thing at the last few Melbourn Grand Prix's has been the mercedes pace cars fanging around with open pipes!

I'm all for this move to incorporate other manufacturers - but if it comes at the cost of making it a space-frame format where the only thing seperating the cars is the sheet metal/fiberglass they bolt to them ala NASCAR - then it starts to miss the point.....i hope it doesn't head that way.

A few people drove the Viper, Ray Lintott was the main one but it was the proudest moment of my life when I saw a guy called Steve Reed piloting it. At that point I was completely obsessed with the Dodge Viper, it was THE car that got me interested in cars in the first place.

Bring back the series production rules and make it like it used to be, so instead of the boring formula of - regulated HP engine (yawn) over regulated indentical chassis (yawn) with different fake body stuck to it (yawn), it would look something like this next year -

FPV GT R-Spec
    HSV GTS 325
    Mercedes-Benz C63 AMG
    etc etc

Let them be blueprinted, better brakes and rubber and caged and let them loose... would be fun to watch rather than the curreny yawn they've got.

I love the concept of production racing but the problem lies with visual entertainment over an extended period

If you have one particular car dominate over a whole season, they will start to lose ratings as people will stop watching

Making it fair makes for close racing and accidents and bums on seats
    It also keeps costs at a level where everyone can manage and every team can compete fairly

Peter "SLIXX"

Quote Originally Posted by slixx View Post
    I love the concept of production racing but the problem lies with visual entertainment over an extended period

If you have one particular car dominate over a whole season, they will start to lose ratings as people will stop watching

Making it fair makes for close racing and accidents and bums on seats
    It also keeps costs at a level where everyone can manage and every team can compete fairly

Peter "SLIXX"
    You can still regulate with normal road cars, power to weight, tyres etc but still use factory cars that are simular to the ones you get. not completely different..

I had noticed a couple cars with Nissan badges on them that wore not GTR's :P

I guess its wishful thinking hoping to have a GTR back in the mix. Is the Altima released in Australia yet? cant find it on the web page.

Sad that its all the same basic stuff again with a different shell. I know the blocks differ, but it usually comes down to teams and drivers in my opinion the basic car platform seems fairly level. The added manufacturing companies will add some cash to the sport and mix it up a bit which is good for Australian motor sport. Wold much prefer production car racing though, as has been said, to be able to BUY the car on Monday that won Sunday is just brilliant.
    __________________________________________________ ________________________________________________
    CorkSport SRI-TIP ][ KingSprings ][ CP-E TMIC][ Cobb AP (stage 1 tune) ][ Prosport Boost gage ][ Apexi RSM, ][corksport top front strut brace ][ corksport top rear strut brace ][ corksport short shift plate ][ Autotech HPFP internals ][ CS LED light kit ][ CS rear engine mount][CSDP ][ GFB BOV ][DBA front disks]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast