User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New rims (20's) Suspension advice needed.

Default New rims (20's) Suspension advice needed.

Hey all

I need some advice from the suspension gurus.

I fitted some big rims today 20x8.5 and i think 45 offset(?) with 245x30 tyres I have king springs fitted and want to consider if I can manage some better handling and to get the ride height juuuust right with either coilovers or replacement shocks. The guards get rolled in the morning as it scrubs on the rear.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4819.jpg 
Views:	163 
Size:	115.7 KB 
ID:	12367   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4824.jpg 
Views:	175 
Size:	164.4 KB 
ID:	12368  

There some big and very nice wheels, what are they?

Better handling than what you have now? Or better handling than what you had before you bolted those monsters on....?

They look nice for sure but.....

Not being a smartass - but in seriousness, those rims are only ever going to hurt your ride/handling/acceleration.

I'd go some konis and lower springs and front and rear sway bars.

Coil overs will probably make it feel like you're riding in a horse drawn cart.....:-/

Quote Originally Posted by SMOKEY View Post
    Better handling than what you have now? Or better handling than what you had before you bolted those monsters on....?

They look nice for sure but.....

Not being a smartass - but in seriousness, those rims are only ever going to hurt your ride/handling/acceleration.

I'd go some konis and lower springs and front and rear sway bars.

Coil overs will probably make it feel like you're riding in a horse drawn cart.....:-/
    ^^This^^
    Many want Power not many hold it long.........

Avanti catalogue - Breyton force 1. Same as silver ones I've seen on a euro site called BE by Breyton. Can't get silver here

Yeah I was concerned at such a low side wall tyre, originally was after 19's but there was just nothing available that I liked. These were 3 months or unknown away in 19's. Had to get new tyres ASAP and last time I ended up giving up and sticking with stockers.

Gice or take the north lakes round abouts the car doesn't get too hard of a time and I don't long haul in it.

I did want to look at bars upgrade - both your saying. or start with rear n see? Car has never turned as flat as I'd like n does like to understeer.

Will Koni's suit my existing kings springs? Didn't notice much improvement from stock springs to the kings but thought shocks were the larger part of the equation.

I appreciate the feedback though.
    MPS 6 06' Mazdaspeed SRI, 2XS Titanium SSP, SU rear engine mount, Kings springs, race pipe, Slotted rotors, Breyton Force 1 20x8.5 rims and hypertech tuned.

Konis should work with your springs. When running lowering springs you are better off with the yellows afaik.
    I would suggest Bilstein B8s against Konis... I have eibach springs and billies and it soaks up the bumps like nothing else.
    You will need decent shocks *eventually* when running lower springs on the 6
    Last edited by dazza; 18-09-2012 at 09:07 PM.

The added unsprung weight hurts you too, but...they look good...and I for one have been guilty or going big heavy wheels for aesthetics and paying the price in performance and ride, so I can't really blame you too bad.

Rear bar will help dial out under steer but it's a prick of a job on the 6.

Go the konis first - yellows or FSDs depending on your budget - or go all out and grab some bilstiens.

Don't know if kings are good or bad, but maybe a progressive rate spring might give you some compliance for just putting around and soaking up the bumps - but stiffen up nicely when you push it.

wheels look good! - well done!

I dont mind a firm (ish) ride. Any ideas as to general cost for the Konis Vs Billys? I'd fit them myself I'd expect.

I feel the shocks are likely due so it's been on "the list" but tyre wear forced this first.

Again appreciate the responses - I did anticipate some kick back on fitting such large wheels to it. They do look good though (not my usual angle)

that's hot wheel !!!

Couple more pics for measure
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4825.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	122.2 KB 
ID:	12375   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4812.jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	161.5 KB 
ID:	12376   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4818.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	295.6 KB 
ID:	12377  

If you're quick, GSL are doing 3 shocks with 1 free until Friday which is a bargain.
    Regarding prices from GSL current as of July:

Koni Sports Yellow cost
    Fronts $453 pair Inc
    Rears $425 pair Inc
    Or
    Koni FSD kit cost
    $1940 Kit Inc GST

B8 Bilstein cost
    Fronts $249~ ea Inc
    Rears $239~ ea Inc

Keep in mind it will be cheaper if you purchase before Friday. You would be saving around $240.
    Total around $755 shipped compared to ~$995.
    You can get the Konis cheaper from the states if you are leaning towards them.
    Last edited by dazza; 18-09-2012 at 09:46 PM.
    '05 6 MPS | BNR S3 | JBR 3.5" Intake | Corksport Airbox | CP-E 3.25" TMIC | M2 DP | CP-E CBE | CP-E/TT Diff Mounts | Autotech HPFP Internals | JBR REM, PMM, TMM | SURE Shortcut | SURE Countershift | SURE Anchors | Denso ITV22s | JBR TIGs | EGR Delete | Coolant Bypass | PTP Inj Seals | MD OCC | H&R Springs | Bilstein B8 Shocks | Car-LED Tails | Badgeless Grille | 6000k HIDs | OZ Ultraleggera 18x8 +48

Not much cost difference Koni yellow vs Billy's really huh. And Billy's are better by some margin?

Edit*

Deal sounds great! GSL emailed for costs n advice re shocks and swaybars. Any further Koni Vs Billy Vs cheap end coilovers debate worth looking at?

Thank you all
    Last edited by Terra; 18-09-2012 at 10:04 PM.

Now I know this is probably undrivable but! Best MPS6 I've seen. Same wheels but in silver 19's x 8.5 front and 9.5 rears - lots of camber on the rears in some shots.

One Wicked Six | Lowered Lifestyle

Stance is just great

I've got bilstiens b8s - I love them and would swear by them.

Over the years across various cars I've had Monroe gt, koni yellow, and two sets of bilstien shocks. Coilover wise I've had JIC, greddy, and D2 suspension.

The bilstiens are head and shoulders above the rest, followed by the greddy coilovers and they were 3k coilovers - not cheap. Cheap coilovers are exactly that - eg. the D2s were abhorrent.

So my advice would be spend the money on the bilstiens and be confident your car is the best it can be.

GSL will be far more knowledgeable than me and most on these forums, but just make sure you tell them you're on lowered springs - bilstien b6 is for stock height, b8 for lowered.

Looks awesome but not very practical lol.
    In reference to koni vs bilstein, if you go koni you need to do a bit of work to get them to fit as they are not a drop in unit, you need to refit the tubes into the stock strut or something I can't remember the process but it's not worth the hassle IMO. Billies will bolt straight up and are better built it seems.
    I strongly advise against cheap coilovers on 20" rims it will ride harsh as sh*t.
    Last edited by dazza; 18-09-2012 at 10:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dazza View Post
    If you're quick, GSL are doing 3 shocks with 1 free until Friday which is a bargain.
    Regarding prices from GSL current as of July:

Koni Sports Yellow cost
    Fronts $453 pair Inc
    Rears $425 pair Inc
    Or
    Koni FSD kit cost
    $1940 Kit Inc GST

B8 Bilstein cost
    Fronts $249~ ea Inc
    Rears $239~ ea Inc

Keep in mind it will be cheaper if you purchase before Friday. You would be saving around $240.
    Total around $755 shipped compared to ~$995.
    You can get the Konis cheaper from the states if you are leaning towards them.
    Wow, @gslrallysport is this still on?
    @dazza - did u fit them b8's up yourself on yr 6? Difficulty level?

Sent from my iPhone
    Ezy-Flash Pro - GTX2867R - NPC Clutch/Solid State flywheel - Autotech Fuel Pump Internals - ATP 3" TIP - Cobb SRI - NGK Plugs - CPE FMIC - 2XS Dump Pipe/100 Cel Cat - 3" Custom CatBack Exhaust - TRMotorsport MT1 18x8.5's -Michelin Pilot Super Sports 245/40/18 - DBA Slotted Rottors - Remsa Pads - 60mm Boost Gauge in middle vent - Bilstein B8 - Kings - Turbosmart BOV - emblemless front grill - debadged rear - 2WD Switch

Rear guards rolled - no scrubs and happy MPS

Quote Originally Posted by 99GTT View Post
    Wow, @gslrallysport is this still on?
    @dazza - did u fit them b8's up yourself on yr 6? Difficulty level?

Sent from my iPhone
    Didnt fit myself, couldnt be stuffed going through the trouble, got em put in for $200. The deal is on until this Friday so be quick
    Last edited by dazza; 19-09-2012 at 01:53 PM.
    '05 6 MPS | BNR S3 | JBR 3.5" Intake | Corksport Airbox | CP-E 3.25" TMIC | M2 DP | CP-E CBE | CP-E/TT Diff Mounts | Autotech HPFP Internals | JBR REM, PMM, TMM | SURE Shortcut | SURE Countershift | SURE Anchors | Denso ITV22s | JBR TIGs | EGR Delete | Coolant Bypass | PTP Inj Seals | MD OCC | H&R Springs | Bilstein B8 Shocks | Car-LED Tails | Badgeless Grille | 6000k HIDs | OZ Ultraleggera 18x8 +48

B8's is my intention - stiffer by much?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast