User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Painting Rims - what colour for Metro Grey?

And I preferred his RX8 GT rims Sam.

It's personal preference

Default rims

Hey Matt, Im in same boat with rim colour choices, but Im leaning towards a chrome dished rim with metro grey centre. Kind of like this....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image_1314133774_679.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	173.2 KB 
ID:	12400  

@premhk - yeh those are work vs-kf's in 'burning black'. pretty cool wheel, but that fitment is just way too insane for me. don't get me wrong, I love that car -it was my inspiration to begin with, but that's cop bait right now, esp around where we drive.

I do reckon though, that the polished lip/dark coloured center makes the wheel look smaller unless you are really dumped. I was set on these Volk GT-C's (see pic) until i saw a set fitted to a forum member's Metro Grey from NZ. They just looked a bit small once on the car.

But Alex, to give you an idea - these rims were being sold by Garasi Auto in Melbourne. I was negotiating with him at $1600 for these wheels, but he wanted $200 for the spare center caps.....and we ended up not being able to work out a deal.

My point is, don't pay 4k for brand new rims - you can get good wheels second hand for a lot less.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Volk GT-C.jpg 
Views:	172 
Size:	79.6 KB 
ID:	12402

i was thinking more along the lines of 18x9.5's. No spacers, no neg camber. Shouldnt be cop bait then..? Yeah nice rims those in the pic.

you'll never get 9.5's under the gaurds easily.

At your height it will involve mm perfect offset adjustable arms, camber, gaurd rolling and stretched tyres.

so yes - it will be cop bait lol.

slightly off topic, but you want to be looking around the 8" range - around the mid 40's for offset.

once you go beyond that in width or lower offset, you got to really know what you're doing to avoid headaches.

Its called hand ball the job to professionals and the other thing its called is $$$$$ lol

told you i'd help!

go through this page - show me what rims you like and we'll find something to fit

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showt...mp-Specs/page8

but if you just want to throw money at it - that's the other alternative lol.
    Last edited by SMOKEY; 20-09-2012 at 12:21 PM.

These have also been a personal fav of mine on metro grey. If you want lightweight, then you want a quick track car, if you want to go calder park to drag it and have a quicker street car from 0-100, go heavier front rims, or all 4. Will keep the rubber down much more than light rims. One thing mps needs is more weight on the front.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sflaepicmeet3.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	248.0 KB 
ID:	12406   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mps6.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	256.4 KB 
ID:	12407  

first ones are Work VS-XX in staggered sizes. Again, i reckon they only look that good because the car is in the weeds on stretched tyres. The Volk GT-C's i posted above that i was looking at had identical specs to these, and in the end i decided it would be too much risk without coilovers to get them to fit cleanly.

And prem, i like your theory! - but heavy wheels aren't going to give you traction at the strip.

Heavy wheels are all about unsprung weight which can cause the suspension to react lazily (=poor handling), and rotational mass which basically says the engine can't turn a heavy wheel as fast as it can a light wheel (=poor acceleration).

In fact the only time I reckon heavy wheels would be an advantage is if you were doing a water crossing through a raging river and the extra weight helped prevent you getting swept away!

I'm sure resident racer @Reedy could clear it up though.

Interesting..
    Think about buying alloy wheels if you do a lot of driving in the mountains or in stop-and-go traffic. Some alloy wheels are designed to encourage cool air flow over the brakes to prevent overheating. The alloy itself can help dissipate heat, too.

Too many times i see people at the drags and dynos adding weight over the wheels to help traction hence i would have thought a heavier rim might be better for non circuit applications..? Matt, i reckon a 'matt' grey inner with polished outer dish would look awesome too..

Quote Originally Posted by SMOKEY View Post
    You read the original post right?
    oops my bad.

cannot see the point in this thread is only neutral/generic every colours are being considered.

someone suggested grey centre with machined/polish outer lip. that would be the go i think.

well the problem is that metro grey is such a unique color - not grey - not green - not blue - but kinda all three. it's hard to get a match.

so it's more or less trying to get the balance of opinion as to what would look best.

the rpf1 is a 1-piece forged wheel - so polishing the lip is probably not going to work very well.

Matt, you cant go wrong with polished aluminium, like our stock rims. Look great against the metro. What are you doing with your stock rims? I might need to swap ya......the polished stockers i love....

Quote Originally Posted by SMOKEY View Post
    well the problem is that metro grey is such a unique color - not grey - not green - not blue - but kinda all three. it's hard to get a match.
    i know that pain. one of my cars is mazda indigo blue. which really is a charcol with blue added in. (sounds like a dark version of your grey).

hyper black w/ machined lip and gold w/ machined lip.

Last edited by projectrracing; 20-09-2012 at 05:26 PM.

Default Painting Rims - what colour for Metro Grey?

@premhk

Ask me one on sport , :-p

http://classifieds.nissansilvia.com/...&t=2125159

not ideal offsets but you see my point right? Good quality second hand rims are the only way to go. They do exist and easy to find if you turn over a few rocks.

These are v similar and will fit - just got to check the center bore is 73.1mm

http://classifieds.nissansilvia.com/...&t=2132317
    Last edited by SMOKEY; 20-09-2012 at 08:07 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12