User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HPFP is needed with just bolt ons

Default HPFP is needed with just bolt ons

Well I finished installing the last critical hardware thinking my modding has finished. not to be.

after installing a corksport tmic, saw my fuel pressure drop below 800psi WOT 3rd gear. It doesn't seem to drop in 4th gear though which is interesting

my mods are
    - Hypertech Sports Tune
    - Cobb dump pipe
    - Cobb Silicon intake & Cobb TIP
    - Corksport TMIC
    - Turbosmart Kompact BOV
    - Stock airbox mod

So I will be planning to get a full HPFP from HPFP upgrades, not internals. Group buy anyone?

Default HPFP is needed with just bolt ons

Pretty standard with those mods - I want to go further with my car but cbfd with fuel pump shenanigans ......

as soon as you touch the exhaust you need an upgraded HPFP:
    http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/ecu-m...tml#post208213

I didnt need to prior the tmic.fuel pressures were OK, didn't drop below 1400psI. I guess it's just a combination of any 3 of intake, dump, intercooler or tune to not having to upgrade to a hpfp. but Once you do the 4th , hpfp is needed.

I tried going Stage 2 COBB map. Everything was fine ..fuel pressure held, then during one 2nd/3rd/4th WOT I found fuel pressure dropped dramatically.

I also couldn't explain the hesitation I would get on a single 3rd or 4th or combination 3rd/4th WOT, with no fuel pressure drops. I put it down to the extra demand in fuel pressure from the Stage2 maps.

I've since gone back to Stage1+TIH+IC and it's smooth as silk. No hesitation, no fuel pressure drops - 2nd/3rd/4th..flat foot nice and smooth.

Just waiting for my fuel pump to arrive before going down the exhaust +dump pipe + stage2 path.

Like you said, I think it's combination of bolt ons that tips it over the edge and then starts to put demands on fuel pressure.
    Trying to keep it subtle ... | COBB AccessPort | COBB DP | CP-e HPFP | CorkSport TMIC | TurboSmart BPV | Denso ITV22| CorkSport Boost Tubes | SURE Full3 Aeros | SURE REM (Street) | SURE AGS SS Shift Knob | 2XS SSP + SURE CounterShift | Speedline Front Strut Brace | Whiteline RSB | Prima Paint Protection

I'm looking to go down the HPFP path soon, then either get the car retuned or get the Cobb AP. Not sure about the whole replacement pump seems to be pretty expensive. At the same time, don't know about my ability to install internals. Might be interested in group buy dependant on price etc.

The main reason I want to get a whole pump rather than internals is purely reliability. As much as I'd love to save a few coins, I'd rather peace of mind when it comes to critical components such as this.

I'll look into costings for a group by. The AUD is still reasonable and hopefully will hold out. If you're remotely interested in a hpfp chime in.

My take on HPFP, it's good to modify it early on, before you need it. If you know you're going down the path of tuning, downpipe, etc, it's best to not wait until you need them. Preventive/proactive modding is always better than modding because you have to. Get it early on and you won't even have the thought in the back of your head. We love to sell AP's with internals, that's when we know it's being done the right way.

9. Default Re: HPFP is needed with just bolt ons

@lup15 I'm interested in a new pump if the price is right

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

I've setup an EOI for a group on HPFP. see http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/group...tml#post231855

It's a bit weird there being so many fuel pump issues with these COBB app , I have DP, TMIC and ECU TEC tune with no fuel pressure issues , Brett from MRT said to me of the data he has from tuning the MPS fuel pump/pressure has not been an issue even with Dp/ exhausts etc.
    why is there so many fuel pressure issues with these COBB apps

Default Re: HPFP is needed with just bolt ons

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    It's a bit weird there being so many fuel pump issues with these COBB app , I have DP, TMIC and ECU TEC tune with no fuel pressure issues , Brett from MRT said to me of the data he has from tuning the MPS fuel pump/pressure has not been an issue even with Dp/ exhausts etc.
    why is there so many fuel pressure issues with these COBB apps
    Long story short, Brett tunes cars less aggressively, he posted up a photo of boost and load data on Facebook, and the fact he tuned the car to only hit 16psi at 3800rpm means he almost detunes the car compared to stock tune...

He certainly reduces the "load" the car sees... After seeing that post, I've less respect than ever for his tuning knowledge of this platform
    Newbie FAQ My Build Thread
    From stock, to GT3071, to substantially less modded, many lessons learned!
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

Quote Originally Posted by SarcasticOne View Post
    Long story short, Brett tunes cars less aggressively, he posted up a photo of boost and load data on Facebook, and the fact he tuned the car to only hit 16psi at 3800rpm means he almost detunes the car compared to stock tune...

He certainly reduces the "load" the car sees... After seeing that post, I've less respect than ever for his tuning knowledge of this platform

But if he is getting consistently high kw numbers without raising the boost too much that has to be a good thing right.
    I still think its strange that the vast majority of people with these issues are using an app COBB etc
    I don't hear to many problems with fuel issues who have had there MPS tuned with ECUTEC/ mazedit etc by Tunehouse etc who seem to get good KW numbers with no fuel issues.

But if he is getting consistently high kw numbers without raising the boost too much that has to be a good thing right.
    I still think its strange that the vast majority of people with these issues are using an app COBB etc
    I don't hear to many problems with fuel issues who have had there MPS tuned with ECUTEC/ mazedit etc by Tunehouse etc who seem to get good KW numbers with no fuel issues.
    Difference between an AP tune and a ecutek tune for the most part, is the sheer amount of torque available down low... Peak numbers are all well and good for jerking off to, but how the car makes that power is often just as important

I don't have access to a computer to type up a proper technical answer, but there is more making power than just boost... But at it's most basic, on stock turbo, boost gives low down torque whilst ignition timing gives power up top

There is also MRT and hpf tuned cars who have needed fuel pumps...
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

The way I see it,
    MRT could be right and you save a little bit of money.
    MRT could be wrong and you eventually blow your engine.
    Your choice.
    However, remember that a lot of MPS are getting on in age now. Parts don't last forever, so chances are the fuel pump is losing efficiency anyway, so why not just upgrade/rebuild your fuel pump just for piece of mind?

For the larger majority of tuned cars in the forum many of them have had the hpfp done prior to tuning so as a result the mention of fuel pressure goes un noticed, it's a minority that have tuned engines with stock hpfp. I assure you that had it been the other way round we would only have very plain tuning and more failures to write about.

Quote Originally Posted by SarcasticOne View Post
    Difference between an AP tune and a ecutek tune for the most part, is the sheer amount of torque available down low... Peak numbers are all well and good for jerking off to, but how the car makes that power is often just as important

I don't have access to a computer to type up a proper technical answer, but there is more making power than just boost... But at it's most basic, on stock turbo, boost gives low down torque whilst ignition timing gives power up top

There is also MRT and hpf tuned cars who have needed fuel pumps...
    I didn't know those apps were so aggressive , thanks for answer, I think iam going to buy a dash hawk to keep an eye on fuel pressure.

TallDan logged his car a while back before he sold up (or out ) to the GTI.

He got some disturbing results.

For $400 it's seems irresponsible not to invest in some protection.

Sent from Samsung Note 2 LTE

I didn't know those apps were so aggressive , thanks for answer, I think iam going to buy a dash hawk to keep an eye on fuel pressure.
    Thing is they aren't really... They leave quite a lot of potential to still be extracted... Can easily gain 10-15% more peak power over one, and even more than that in the mid range

Not sure if trolling...

$400 VS $4000 for rebuild (and then some)..

No brainer.

I wish I had my datalog still, I was dropping to 600PSI on an OTS tune, not even a custom tune. I came close a few times to ZZB, and no, it does not have to do with the accessport - the same thing happened on the STOCK tune. These issues dont seem to happen on new cars either...
    After the new pump, everything was perfect - with stock tune (I was running it to try and be safer) and AP stg 2.

The facebook post brett put up is bullshit to try and regain some dignitiy after being torn a new one by MSF, the car in that graph only had an intake..
    If you look at the stages cobb recommend HPFP comes after DP and WITH stg 2 tune.

BTW - The OP of this thread wasnt even running the AP...

PS - I have a DH FS lol!
    Last edited by Jmac; 07-02-2013 at 08:46 PM.
    MY16 WRX STi Crystal White Pearl
    -= Rally Armour Flaps - 2XS Muffler Delete =-

FG FPV F6 MKII Vixen - SOLD
    -= Bluepower SRI - ID1000 Injectors - Venom Cat - XCAL3 - ProcessWest Stg2 Intercooler - 359 RWKW=-

CX9 Grand Touring Stormy Blue
    -= The rolling armchair =-

6 MPS Velocity Red - SOLD
    -=Cat Back Exhaust - Pirelli PZero=-

3 MPS Aurora Blue - SOLD
    -=PG SRI - PG Inlet - ETS TMIC - GFB Hybrid BOV - Best Mufflers DP - Eibach Pro - AccessPort STG2 - Autotech HPFP - ITV22 - Michelin PSS=-

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast