User Tag List

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Mazda 3 MPS Gen I problems you have had, warranty fixes

Engine bolts - under the recall (gotta love that HUGE recall sticker inside the door)
    Water Pump - but they wouldn't tell me why

and I have a pain-in-the-arse rattle in my door......drives me insane....which is why the stereo is up so loud all the time!

I'm up for my 50,000km service next month....so will wait to see what happens then!

Quote Originally Posted by plop View Post
    well i'm pi$$ed the clutch has gone again has anyone else had probs with it going very prem like under 10000ks. i dont think it is stong enough.... after i had the last replaced i thought it felt snatchy took back and they said it was fine farkers... going to sell itnew i should have bought the fg xr6t back when i was looking 4 a new cargod dam i'm MAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Clutch is slipping??

Have them inspect the flywheel for excessive back/forth movement between the two plates. Some rotational play is fine, back and forth movement like grabbing one end of a clothes peg will cause your clutch to slip under heavy load.

Failing that buy a HD clutch from the U.S.

The Spec Performance Stage 2+ clutch is the way to go, but expect it to cost you a pretty penny if you import one...... crappy dollar..
    Quote Originally Posted by Street Road Laino View Post
    I'm never drinking again

Cracked 2nd gear bearing (gear box replaced)
    Rear shocks replaced
    Nasty rattling noise underneath the windscreen wipers (took Mazda x3 times of pulling out dash to figure out the noise is from the outisde)

All these within the 2000ks.

20,000kms later, middle console and driver side seat belt restrain creaks!

HAVING GREAT FUN WITH THE CAR.... NOT! lol

Wayne

Drivers side window not doing the auto up and down thing...got a service due soon!!!

^^^^the owners manual is your friend..........

im starting to get clunks from rear and middle underneath car.
    must be swaybars losening up. ill get em fixed up asap

Quote Originally Posted by EVILMPS View Post
    One of my mate's suggested that maybe they just didn't recalibrate whatever needs doing when they put the bigger wheels on them from the factory?
    If this is such a common problem with them, maybe we should get a petition together to forward to Mazda Australia - or straight to Mazda Japan themselves.
    The wheels are bigger on the MPS's, but the rolling circumference remains the same as normal 3's due to the lower profile rubber - so stock wheel / tyre fitment is not the cause. It is actually a cluster calibration issue AFAIK (my ScanGauge reads 93km/h when the cluster says bang on 100). If the cluster indicated the same as the ScanGauge (read: ECU), then there would not be a problem.

edit: The tacho is also the same (when bang on 3000rpm for instance, the ScanGauge (actual) rpm is ~2700).

Cheers.

Karl.

Blog Entries

If this is such a common problem with them, maybe we should get a petition together to forward to Mazda Australia - or straight to Mazda Japan themselves.
    The speedo error is almost standard feature; rarely people report theirs shows correct speed. I am going to look into what electronic trickery would be needed for a speedo-corrector. I'll be looking to adjust the signal as sent to the gauage itself.

I may also look into a digital speedo.

Mazda know all about it - it's a quirk, but it doesn't need to be fixed for any ADR engineering reasons or roadworthy.

Quote Originally Posted by Nexus View Post
    The speedo error is almost standard feature; rarely people report theirs shows correct speed. I am going to look into what electronic trickery would be needed for a speedo-corrector. I'll be looking to adjust the signal as sent to the gauage itself.

I may also look into a digital speedo.

Mazda know all about it - it's a quirk, but it doesn't need to be fixed for any ADR engineering reasons or roadworthy.
    I use a Scangauge II pretty much just for the speedo function, all the rest is a nice to have for me. The speed displayed by the Scangauge on my factory tyres at 5000km was +/- 1km/h off a proper survey standard Differential GPS receiver (work for an aerial photo survey/mapping/navigation company so borrowed a work one to compare).

The speedo markings up to 100km/h are so difficult to read anyway due to the small interval that a digital speedometer of some kind is very handy.

Might be worth seeing if there is already an existing digital speedo that plugs into the OBDII port, will save stuffing around with senders and manipulating the signal that goes into the dash. If not, an OBDII speedo might be a handy thing to make up if you're good with electronics...could find a bit of a market for it if cheap enough.

Blog Entries

Now, apparently the ADR regs state that speedos can be out by up to 14% UNDER what they read on the guage - Mazda say that 8-10% is what they are happy to accept.
    They have offered me a "gesture" to try and fix the problem. This involves the car going in, having the cluster removed and then sent off to a government approved mob that will re-calibrate it under full supervision (so there's no dicky work with the odometer).
    This will be about 7-10 days.
    ...kept saying that it was within the ADR regs, and that 8-10% out was better than some cars that are over the 14%. This went back and forth and I relaized I was not going to get any better than what they had offered....
    Watch this space...
    Hope you get a result you're happy with.

I'm a bit suss on some of the info they've provided you re: ADR regs. ADR regs are 10% max. I don't know who's told them or you 14%, but 14% is unroadworthy here in QLD. QLD transport max = 10% variation. I am confident ADR is 10% too.

It would be utterly ridiculous to have ADRs that produce illegal vehicles in some states. I suspect that 14% may have been concocted out of thin air to try and make you feel better. Very poor show if so.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong...

"Some vehicles with 14%" = speaking sh*t. There aren't any. I've never driven one. The 10% error we have to put up with is as bad as it gets. 1 or 2k more more and the vehicle becomes unroadworthy. That's the real reason mazda say their tolerance is 10% max. 10% is the tolerance the entire industry must meet. 14% my a**.

Blog Entries

Have you tested your speedo Nexus?
    Fitted with 225/45; Through a 5K speedo check, odometer is almost spot on, fractionally understates distance by maybe 100m at most over the 5k (2% error). Error is closer to 50m I think (1%) or less. with 215/45 odo is within 0.1%

Comparing against GPS, I see approx 7.5% speedo error with 225/45 fitted. With 215/45 it's 8.5/9%

Oh, yes - I don't think calibrating the speedo guage would have any effect on the odo because the odo is a value read straight from the ECU. The speedo guage however has to convert a digital value to an analogue display and that is where the error is, not in the digital data. We know the digital data is correct...the analogue display is not.

Quote Originally Posted by Nexus View Post
    Fitted with 225/45; Through a 5K speedo check, odometer is almost spot on, fractionally understates distance by maybe 100m at most over the 5k (2% error). Error is closer to 50m I think (1%) or less. with 215/45 odo is within 0.1%

Comparing against GPS, I see approx 7.5% speedo error with 225/45 fitted. With 215/45 it's 8.5/9%

Oh, yes - I don't think calibrating the speedo guage would have any effect on the odo because the odo is a value read straight from the ECU. The speedo guage however has to convert a digital value to an analogue display and that is where the error is, not in the digital data. We know the digital data is correct...the analogue display is not.
    Will be looking forward to see if you come up with any trickery or gizmos to correct this Nexus

Can you run wider tyres on the stock rims?
    ------------------------------ Double post merged ------------------------------
    Just had a call from the Mazda rep who did the diagnostics.
    Apparently the cluster does not have to go off for calibration, they will be replacing the whole thing...
    Not too sure if this is going to fix the sitch, but will wait and see?

Woohoo....I'm getting new front discs under warranty.....apparently they aren't warped () but soon will be so they will replace them....have to wait nearly 2 weeks for them and have the hassle of having to take the car back - but better done under warranty!!

Had a squeaky belt. Turned out that the water pump had a leak. Had it fixed a few weeks ago. The highly skilled techs at Hornsby mazda managed to spill coolant all over the engine bay and did a pretty ordinary job of cleaning it up. Took me hours to get it all cleaned up again... The water pump however has been fine since.

Current list of problems with the bucket..... calling Mazda tomorrow....

- Handbrake warning light coming on for no reason
    - Car locking itself when keys are STILL IN IGNITION !!!!!!
    - Clutch getting stuck upon release
    - Aircon can't keep up whilst stuck in traffic, goes humid as all hell
    - Temp gauge ran 3/4s after mountain drive .... NEVER EVER seen that before

Got my waterpump replaced this week!!!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 2000MN View Post
    - Temp gauge ran 3/4s after mountain drive .... NEVER EVER seen that before
    First time up mt nebo, mine climbed to 3/4 when I stopped and idled for a bit for warm down. I was surprised to see it move from it's habitual position, but I just put it down to the high load it had been under and absence of a cooling airflow.

If it doesn't sustain that temperature once driving again, I wouldn't be inclined to worry. If it does I'd get it checked. My thought at the time was that it's a good example of circumstances where you should do a warm down and not just shut it down when you get to the top.

Wow thought i had a pretty good run, just had the 70,000km service
    and found out the waterpump had started to leak, only have 1 month
    of warranty left, lets hope Mazda come to the party and fix it properly.

Quote Originally Posted by AD07 View Post
    Is it sorted yet Corey?
    Yeah mate, got the car back today.

Car received a new cooling system computer , new cooling fan and new clutch line ... bloody thing was leaking, hence a sticking clutch.

Didn't sort out the locking issue, but could be related to the ignition lock playing up, so that'll get replaced also if it wants to play anymore funny games.
    Quote Originally Posted by Street Road Laino View Post
    I'm never drinking again

Quote Originally Posted by 2000MN View Post
    Yeah mate, got the car back today.

Car received a new cooling system computer , new cooling fan and new clutch line ... bloody thing was leaking, hence a sticking clutch.

Didn't sort out the locking issue, but could be related to the ignition lock playing up, so that'll get replaced also if it wants to play anymore funny games.
    Hey mate,

Can you please elaborate on what you mean by sticking clutch, mine is a bit notchy on release lately and wondering if this was similar (feels a bit 'sticky' on release and travel not so smooth) - same problem?
    MY16 WRX STi Crystal White Pearl
    -= Rally Armour Flaps - 2XS Muffler Delete =-

FG FPV F6 MKII Vixen - SOLD
    -= Bluepower SRI - ID1000 Injectors - Venom Cat - XCAL3 - ProcessWest Stg2 Intercooler - 359 RWKW=-

CX9 Grand Touring Stormy Blue
    -= The rolling armchair =-

6 MPS Velocity Red - SOLD
    -=Cat Back Exhaust - Pirelli PZero=-

3 MPS Aurora Blue - SOLD
    -=PG SRI - PG Inlet - ETS TMIC - GFB Hybrid BOV - Best Mufflers DP - Eibach Pro - AccessPort STG2 - Autotech HPFP - ITV22 - Michelin PSS=-

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast