User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Going Big Turbo Q & A!!

Default Going Big Turbo Q & A!!

Hey guys, we have a thread like this in our stateside forum and now that you guys have the AP/ATR, we thought we'd provide any assistance we can with your guys' big turbo projects. We have 125+ big turbo customers and have helped many more than that with their projects. We have personal experience on our own MS3's including a top mounted HTA3586 build with 5th port injection. We'd like to open it up for any questions you have or help you need both in the decision making process and the post turbo install. Have at it!

PLEASE PM or email eric@edgeautosport.com for all pricing and parts questions!!

I think I have finally nailed my BT build, though I will admit its taken more turns than a lost tourist lol.

Would you guys be classing a BNR S3 as a Big lol, if so when or if i get stuck you'll be surely one of the first people/companies i ask for assistance.

Default Re: Going Big Turbo Q & A!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bakis View Post
    Would you guys be classing a BNR S3 as a Big lol, if so when or if i get stuck you'll be surely one of the first people/companies i ask for assistance.
    Nope, they wouldn't

Am curious as to how the 3586 compares to the 3076 tho...

I have a 3071, which I consider almost perfect for the car... know Eric loved his 3076... but I think I would find it a bit too laggy
    Last edited by SarcasticOne; 15-09-2012 at 09:51 AM.
    Newbie FAQ My Build Thread
    From stock, to GT3071, to substantially less modded, many lessons learned!
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

Im quite interested in the EFR 7163, GTX2867 spool with GTX3071 power!

Anyone able to put it into stock location yet? It's quite big

Quote Originally Posted by SarcasticOne View Post
    Nope, they wouldn't

Am curious as to how the 3586 compares to the 3076 tho...

I have a 3071, which I consider almost perfect for the car... know Eric loved his 3076... but I think I would find it a bit too laggy
    Come up and drive my old Gen1 Sam. Your More than welcome test
    Many want Power not many hold it long.........

Quote Originally Posted by rayd View Post
    Im quite interested in the EFR 7163, GTX2867 spool with GTX3071 power!

Anyone able to put it into stock location yet? It's quite big
    7163 will almost stock locate Ray. Not quite the same as it is a fair bit longer than a Garrett style turbo.

Think they need to move about 2" towards passenger side. Will let you know when I fit mine
    MPS is gone. Ghey Trail enabled....Not Happy. MPS 6 to come

Quote Originally Posted by LittleredMPS View Post
    7163 will almost stock locate Ray. Not quite the same as it is a fair bit longer than a Garrett style turbo.

Think they need to move about 2" towards passenger side. Will let you know when I fit mine
    Yea I've seen pics!
    Looking forward to it!

EDIT: double post

@LittleredMPS id be interested to see your build and pics of the turbo, ive thought about that or the PTE5858.

Have to wait a little bit mate, the turbo isnt released until early next year.

I am getting all the gear to do the job though, and getting the engine rebuilt, to take the extra mumbo.

OK I thought it wasn't released but the previous post sounded like you had an early one arriving. i think by early next year ill be going BT unless the stocker decides to die earlier

Default Re: Going Big Turbo Q & A!!

Btw JP and Eric, are you guys going to be offering 5th/6th ports for our engines?
    Or just sticking with meth?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by Bakis View Post
    I don't consider it a big turbo. It's a reworked factory turbo which still means it's a factory turbo. It just adds a little more flow among some other characteristics. I would say the same thing about the new CP-E HTA factory turbo but I do think just from FP's reputation alone that it'll outflow a BNRs3.

Quote Originally Posted by SarcasticOne View Post
    Btw JP and Eric, are you guys going to be offering 5th/6th ports for our engines?
    Or just sticking with meth?

We're working on some stuff

PLEASE PM or email eric@edgeautosport.com for all pricing and parts questions!!

Thread Bump! I'm in the market for a BT in the next 6-8 months.

Thought I had my mind made up until @SarcasticOne has put me in two minds about the GTX2867 and GTX3071! Arghhh why is it so hard to make a decision.

I found it easier to focus on what boost target you have and realise that bigger is not always better. I am not overly keen for rebuilding motors, running meth, and have no source of E85. Hence I am targeting around 20-21 psi on standard 98 RON. The GTX30 series really don't perform well till you start pushing around 25+, so the GTX28 was better for me. Being a GTX series it should also give similar top end flow to a GT3071.

And although the GTX28 is not that much bigger than a BNR stage 3, it does have ball bearing over the ceramic BNR housing, which is just a personal preference for me.

Of course not to many people run the GTX28, most tend to go for the larger GTX3071, so if you go on MSF that is the one you are going to see most people going to.
    1993 KL-ZE 626 - Written off
    2005 MPS6 - Me Boosta, GTX2867 Freektuned

There is a thread on MSF about first person to install and tune a 2867, it's not performing better than a 3071, from what I can see...

Also, boost target isn't as relevant as power target

Last edited by SarcasticOne; 19-04-2013 at 09:41 AM.

http://www.mazdaspeedforums.org/foru...d.php?t=143227
    Thread ^

Quote Originally Posted by Fizzy View Post
    I found it easier to focus on what boost target you have and realise that bigger is not always better. I am not overly keen for rebuilding motors, running meth, and have no source of E85. Hence I am targeting around 20-21 psi on standard 98 RON. The GTX30 series really don't perform well till you start pushing around 25+, so the GTX28 was better for me. Being a GTX series it should also give similar top end flow to a GT3071.

And although the GTX28 is not that much bigger than a BNR stage 3, it does have ball bearing over the ceramic BNR housing, which is just a personal preference for me.

Of course not to many people run the GTX28, most tend to go for the larger GTX3071, so if you go on MSF that is the one you are going to see most people going to.
    I'm aiming for power figures of 230-250KW ATW and am happy to run 22-23psi.

Are you currently running it?
    2XS+ChipTorque=DeathStar

Quote Originally Posted by KFuNk View Post
    I'm aiming for power figures of 230-250KW ATW and am happy to run 22-23psi.

Are you currently running it?
    BNRS3 or GTX28 can easily get you there. You don't need to go very big to get 230-250kw at wheels. With meth or E85 + aggressive tune Im in that range with the K04 on 20-21 psi

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast