User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Car Washing and Paint Decontamination Methods

Default Car Washing and Paint Decontamination Methods

Quote Originally Posted by Caffeine Fiend View Post
    You should never need to decontaminate an Opticoated surface Brad.

At most all you'd need would be to apply a paint cleaner/glaze product like Prima Amigo every six months or so to brighten it up a little.
    :-) Thanks Champ (goes to Zas.com.au)
    Redbull is DEAD!!

Long live the Redbull ... V2

Is this the right section to talk about cleaning of glass and headlights? If so, I have a 3 year old windscreen that isn't shedding water like it used too (years again). The wiper blades have left a permanent impression on the glass. What about Rain-X as a solution?

For glass, I would use a glass polish. I know ZAS sell

Rain-X X-Treme Clean Glass And Plastic Polish 355ml

I've not tried it but it could be worth a go.

If it's serious it may need machine polishing to minimise.

Re the headlights, just be careful with any sort of abrasive polish. Headlights normally have a UV coating that can be removed with machine polishing or even heavy hand polishing. If that's removed, they'll cloud up again within a few months.

A light hand polish of the headlights could help restore some clarity to them whilst still maintaining the UV coating. If they're bad enough to require machine polishing, the UV coating can be restored by using a coating like Opticoat once they've been machined.
    Caff Mobile Mk1 - 2010 Aluminum Gen II | 2XS SRI | H&R Lowered Springs | cpe 75 Duro Engine Mount | Whiteline Rear Swaybar | Moog "Problem Solver" Rear Endlinks | 3M Carbon Black Tint | Lakin Custom Plates | Opti-Coat Paint Protection | Paint Correction by Me - SOLD

Caff Mobile Mk2 - 2008 BMW Z4M Coupe - Sapphire Black Metallic | Stock....for now

Great info on claybarring Dan! I wish i had this info or had asked someone when i first attempted to clay-bar Soooo on a related matter, i have this friend and he wants to know how would you remove clay bar residue if it was poorly applied & removed and left a week or 2 before being noticed.....

Default Re: Car Washing and Paint Decontamination Methods

Thanks Mate

By clay bar residue do you mean actual bits of clay?

You can try a wax and grease remover but if it's been on there a while it might not do much

Failing that, as long as the paint is clear coated (ie not single stage paint like some Commodores) you can use some thinners dabbed on with a microfiber cloth. That should loosen it up enough that it comes away from the paint. Thoroughly wash the area afterward.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    Caff Mobile Mk1 - 2010 Aluminum Gen II | 2XS SRI | H&R Lowered Springs | cpe 75 Duro Engine Mount | Whiteline Rear Swaybar | Moog "Problem Solver" Rear Endlinks | 3M Carbon Black Tint | Lakin Custom Plates | Opti-Coat Paint Protection | Paint Correction by Me - SOLD

Caff Mobile Mk2 - 2008 BMW Z4M Coupe - Sapphire Black Metallic | Stock....for now

You're a champion Dan....beers on me when your in Brissy next....ahh i mean beers on my friend

Hey Dan how do you clean the rubber sidewalls of tyres best? I have a jeep that goes through all sorts of shit (literally) and even a hard spongeing wont get the mud that has discoloured the black tyre off.
    ps- Monash now offer PhD in car washing.

A mix of APC and water should help.

Spray on and let it dwell for five or so mins.

Agitate with a mitt or brush (if you have white lettering on the tire go easy on this area. Too hard and the white may start to come off).

Hose off.

If that doesn't work there are products you can buy that give more oomph. I'd try this first though

Quote Originally Posted by premhk View Post
    Hey Dan how do you clean the rubber sidewalls of tyres best? I have a jeep that goes through all sorts of shit (literally) and even a hard spongeing wont get the mud that has discoloured the black tyre off.
    ps- Monash now offer PhD in car washing.
    This stuff works awesome
    http://www.waxit.com.au/index.php?op...8&Itemid=1

I mix it in a spray bottle 50/50 with water

Spray, leave, scrub and wash off

Works for me

Peter "SLIXX"

Snapped by Tangcla - FB Page
    Currently RaydTuned
    Lots of love from 2XS Racing & Dan's Garage Detailing

Ah k thanks guys. will give it a go today. off to the shops now to buy the gear ...

Watch your dilution ratios when working with any APC. Many can be too harsh if not mixed with water in some ratio

Many of the decent APCs will include suggested ratios for different uses on the label

Heres one for ya Michelin: How do I wash/polish my vinyl wrap? Any help appreciated. Last time I did it, it left a dry white film over it.

I just wash and dry mine like I do the rest of the car. Comes up awesome. Haven't tried detailing it or anything though - think I will leave that alone.

Thanks to Slixx for getting the white waxxy residue of my carbon today....

Treat it like any other vinyl. Interior vinyl treatment/cleaner sprays work well

The other day I was getting an alignment and the dude there said to use the same silicone spray for your tyres on your rims too to stop brake dust from forming? He said it will be more likely to 'slide' off and stay cleaner longer... this true?

Nope it will be greasy.

Never use solvent based silicone products on any rubber. It dries it out over time

Last edited by Caffeine Fiend; 16-09-2012 at 09:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by premhk View Post
    Thanks to Slixx for getting the white waxxy residue of my carbon today....
    Pre-Wow, does it again!

Peter "SLIXX"

Quote Originally Posted by Caffeine Fiend View Post
    Best things ever. Much better than a standard hose, especially for getting dirt and crud off wheels and under guards.

Avoid using the foam lance attachments they often come with. They're horribly inefficient and you'll wind up using more detergent than you need to. 3rd party foam lances are the best bet if you want one.

The lower end Karchers are OK for occasional use. I myself have been using a k.2 cheapie $90 special from Bunnings for the last year or so. These have plastic water pumps in them though so they aren't built to last. Mine gets use pretty much every weekend and now has an internal leak which will necessitates replacing.

The k.4 Karchers and above have a metal pump and are built more solidly. Gerni I believe have metal pumps across most of their range, though I'm not 100% at which point they start.

But whichever way you go, I highly recommend them over a standard hose

Hey there Dan,
    Found this, just wondering if this is the Karcher you have...Karcher High Pressure Cleaner K2.080 - Bunnings Warehouse

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast