User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Air Filter Info......interesting

Default Air Filter Info......interesting

Just found this while doing a bit of searching on the net......some interesting results.
    http://www.australianauto.com.au/HTM...hoot%20Out.pdf
    Makes me feel all warm & fuzzy about my TXS SRI & 3A filter.

Very interesting article.. Just goes to show you don't always get what you pay for! The results of the foam-type filters didn't surprise me though...

Cool read!

Now i know what to look for when i get my intake

Dang... i usually put my HKS Foam one on inbetween cleans of the K&N... wont be doing that now... haha

where do we find these 3A ones lol.. everyone will want them.. MPS Garage start to stock !! haha

Damn .....my apexi sucks ...or dosent suck more importantly .....

Will get 3A soon .......Thanks ADO7 good find

Just for the guys who didn't notice. 3A = Australian Auto Accessories, the site that hosted the pdf file. I wouldn't be surprised if they commissioned the tests judging by the results. Just as you should be aware of advertising you should also be aware of "independent" tests.

Commissioned the test....???? Maybe they wanted to make the point that THEIR product was the best.
    Who, o' wise one, would u like to do the tests..maybe NASA....would you be convinced then?????
    Someone always has to whinge....
    Would you have said the same if the Cobb intake came with a 3A filter????????????

Quote Originally Posted by AD07 View Post
    Maybe they wanted to make the point that THEIR product was the best.
    That's kinda my point, it could be taken as a well thought out piece of advertising. My post was hardly a whinge as I plan on replacing my air filter with the AEM as I don't like oiled filters (which Cobb uses). Don't make assumptions on someone's attitude where it's coming from through a forum post as tone/meaning is not something that is easily conveyed.
    Nuliaj: Hatches are only really half a car anyway.
    shinslinger66: And you forgot to add that they are also a girls car!

Good pickup Nuliaj, I also don't believe most of what I read. It's worth taking a look at what's behind things when performance claims are published.

Perhaps they're hosting the article because they're proud of the results? That would be perfectly understandable. Is there a particular reason for considering it suspect?

If only the robust principles of scientific critique and independent validation existed in the automotive world.

they have me sold.. there little white thingy has less black on it then the others....

less black FTW !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by PaulG View Post
    they have me sold.. there little white thingy has less black on it then the others....

less black FTW !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Says the guy with a black car

One thing you might also want to note is that the flow is measured as a maximum of the intake. Is someone able to provide numbers on what the CFM is on our cars as I suspect it might not even be close to maxxing out some air filters.
    Nuliaj: Hatches are only really half a car anyway.
    shinslinger66: And you forgot to add that they are also a girls car!

+1, in most cases flow is irrelevant as we are not likely to produce enough vacuum to warrant filter selection based on that fact alone, put your hands up if your filter is showing obvious signs of collapsing under the immense vacuum from your sri / cai...anyone?.

I am however concerned about a products filtering ability, particularly with the location of the filter in a CAI situation, this is also the second report I have read that has placed HKS very low on the filtration side of things.

This comment made me laugh
    "Trust Airinx - Trust is another name synonymous with top level performance parts"

My version
    "Trust Airinx - Trust is another name synonymous with top level bullsh!t marketing hype"

Ok, we might not be anywhere close to maxing air filters out but still good to know that some of them filter better than others and at the same time keep good air flow.

I only use K&N anyway, and when I can buy them for around $50, I buy a few for mates. Seems that K&N have a good enough name and are reliable too. Re-usable and reliable is my key. I would like to think that I could support Oz with the 3A though. The flow between 1st and 3rd is marginal anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by AD07 View Post
    Commissioned the test....???? Maybe they wanted to make the point that THEIR product was the best.
    Who, o' wise one, would u like to do the tests..maybe NASA....would you be convinced then?????
    Someone always has to whinge....
    Would you have said the same if the Cobb intake came with a 3A filter????????????
    Do you have shares in that company or something..... charm down sunshine...

Nulija is completely right..... Their product may be superior..... but I guarantee that the tests were conducted to be favorable to their filter....

Whenever you see a review on a range of products, and one of those products companies commissioned the review..... You automatically know they will review best.... otherwise why would they pay for the review. That's just common sense.

Quote Originally Posted by ChaMPS View Post
    Whenever you see a review on a range of products, and one of those products companies commissioned the review..... You automatically know they will review best.... otherwise why would they pay for the review. That's just common sense.

Are you saying that they are lying and their product only proved best because they commisioned the review?
    CES "SS" TBE | SURE "Aeros" SRI | SURE "Sidewinder" TIP | SURE "Return" Recirc Hose | CUSTOM "PWR Core" FMIC | Hypertech "Tuned" | Turbosmart "Atmo" BOV | MSD DashHawk | CP-e REM | SURE "Anchors" Shifter Bushings | JBR SSP and Weight | JBR Heavy Knob |Redline Hood Quick LIFT ELITE | TEIN "SS" Coilovers | Front - Rear HOTCHKIS Swaybars | Front - Rear DBA 4000 Slotted Rotors | A1RM Brake Pads | 18x8 +45 Tenzo-R Cuzco Black V1 | 235/40/18 Michelin Pilot Super Sport | Safe n' Sound baby Seat lol

Quote Originally Posted by Nirvandan View Post
    Are you saying that they are lying and their product only proved best because they commisioned the review?
    Not at all...... They may be the superior product.... but then again.....

If Ford was to commission a Hot Hatch review and come to the conclusion that the XR5 was the superior car would you believe it?
    Last edited by ChaMPS; 29-04-2009 at 07:58 PM.

I merely posted a link 2 an article i found interesting because the reputable, more expensive brand, suprisingly didnt come out on top. Next time i wont bother...........
    How could the tests be favourable to the 3A filter?? The same test was done on all the filters...
    Last edited by duglet; 30-04-2009 at 12:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ChaMPS View Post
    Not at all...... They may be the superior product.... but then again.....

If Ford was to commission a Hot Hatch review and come to the conclusion that the XR5 was the superior car would you believe it?
    They wouldnt be able to come to that conclusion in the first place, the XR5 figures arent the best plus it isnt hot
    CES "SS" TBE | SURE "Aeros" SRI | SURE "Sidewinder" TIP | SURE "Return" Recirc Hose | CUSTOM "PWR Core" FMIC | Hypertech "Tuned" | Turbosmart "Atmo" BOV | MSD DashHawk | CP-e REM | SURE "Anchors" Shifter Bushings | JBR SSP and Weight | JBR Heavy Knob |Redline Hood Quick LIFT ELITE | TEIN "SS" Coilovers | Front - Rear HOTCHKIS Swaybars | Front - Rear DBA 4000 Slotted Rotors | A1RM Brake Pads | 18x8 +45 Tenzo-R Cuzco Black V1 | 235/40/18 Michelin Pilot Super Sport | Safe n' Sound baby Seat lol

Quote Originally Posted by Nirvandan View Post
    They wouldnt be able to come to that conclusion in the first place, the XR5 figures arent the best plus it isnt hot
    Are you guys just constantly egging me on..... or do you all still believe that...

We all know Ford went conservative with the XR5 power output..... but a $900 OBDII Flasher and 4 minutes later the car produces 201kw & 440Nm.... more than enough to do a MPS.......

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast