User Tag List

Thread: Cobb ap?

Default Cobb ap?

Hey guys,

Did a search but still confused lol

Whats people's thoughts on buying a COBB AP for tuning in comparison to a professional tune?

Would the AP benefit if the car is only lightly modded and then get a pro tune once more mods at installed?

I've been reading the info from the COBB website and it looks like a good starting point in terms of basic tunes

What are your thoughts?

Thx

AP gives you more flexibility IMO and it will usually work out alot cheaper than a protune. There are maps to suit the most common SRIs, you can etune, you can dyno tune (if our guys ever learn to use the software properly), launch control, flat foot shifting just to name a few benefits.
    Pro tune is great if you have everything on your car and not adding more and they can probably tune bt easier (no ots maps for BT in AP unless etune), but if you want to change something you will need to pay a few hundred $$ to re-tune at a shop (plus initial tune > $1000). Alot of guys prefer a protune like mazedit or ecutek as its basically a 'set it and forget it' type tune. Depending where you live will also contribute to what protune you can get, there are not alot of options in some states in Aus.
    IMO getting AP for lightly modded is fine, and when you add more and more mods an etune is just as good as a protune if you have the patience. You can use AP OTS maps for a fully bolted setup (stage 2 for example), minus a big turbo really, but an etune will always be better. Just be prepared for it to take alot longer (sending and receiving maps from the tuner).
    Last edited by dazza; 11-09-2012 at 09:35 AM.
    '05 6 MPS | BNR S3 | JBR 3.5" Intake | Corksport Airbox | CP-E 3.25" TMIC | M2 DP | CP-E CBE | CP-E/TT Diff Mounts | Autotech HPFP Internals | JBR REM, PMM, TMM | SURE Shortcut | SURE Countershift | SURE Anchors | Denso ITV22s | JBR TIGs | EGR Delete | Coolant Bypass | PTP Inj Seals | MD OCC | H&R Springs | Bilstein B8 Shocks | Car-LED Tails | Badgeless Grille | 6000k HIDs | OZ Ultraleggera 18x8 +48

^ dazza has girl hair dont trust him

hahaha is it girl based on the colour or length

thanks dazza that helps heaps.. i think its time to invest in one

Nice info, thanks

Default Cobb ap?

Don't forget other cool features of ap such as the ability to read and cancel error codes.

Also one I love is the valet mode .
    eg. I dropped the car at the panel beaters and loaded the valet map on = car can't rev over 3k, exceed 100kmh, and is limited to 0psi boost! No shenanigans in my car, sorry fellas!

Also you can remove the ap - unload the map for dealer/warranty purposes. And you can also remove and resell the ap unit. Can't do either of those things with an traditional ecu tune.

think its time to order one lol

wheres the best place? site?

Default Cobb ap?

Quote Originally Posted by MPSNoob View Post
    ^ dazza has girl hair dont trust him
    Lol. Damn you Joe

I got mine from John at HPFP upgrade, site sponsor here. He offers the AP for $525 shipped with an e-tune by him (ptp). He can take some time replying to emails but I was happy in the end with service and price.

Quote Originally Posted by Devil MPS View Post
    I got mine from John at HPFP upgrade, site sponsor here. He offers the AP for $525 shipped with an e-tune by him (ptp). He can take some time replying to emails but I was happy in the end with service and price.

when did u buy off John?i need to get one!

Is this so called 'valet' mode safe to drive and attempt to thrash? I just loaded it onto my car because it's going into the shop tomorrow

Default Cobb ap?

Quote Originally Posted by steviekfc View Post
    Is this so called 'valet' mode safe to drive and attempt to thrash? I just loaded it onto my car because it's going into the shop tomorrow
    Why would you want to do that?

I would say yes - but - the pointlessness of the action would probably turn around and say 'no' and ZZB yo ass!

I ordered it end of July and got it around 2 weeks later I think. He had a fair few in stock

Default Re: Cobb ap?

Check the stickies in the ecu section ;-)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

I dont want to thrash it with valet mode... Im asking because im taking it to the shop and they may try and boot it.. With valet mode installed

Default Cobb ap?

Quote Originally Posted by steviekfc View Post
    I dont want to thrash it with valet mode... Im asking because im taking it to the shop and they may try and boot it.. With valet mode installed
    They can try, but nothing will happen!

Default Cobb ap?

Exactly.

Not sure how my post didn't explain that but yep - you can also load a map on that makes it impossible to even start the car without the AP.

Excellent if you need to leave the car while you go on holidays etc