User Tag List

Thread: MPS spoiler swap?

Default MPS spoiler swap?

hey guys, just wondering if anyone knew about or had some knowledge on the mps spoiler, where im trying to put it on my Mazda 3. Read that the voltage could be an issue, as well as the connectors, something about the spoiler and wiring thingy on the mazda 3 having both male ends. Does anyone know how i can solve either or any of these issues?

12V is 12V - I don't think you'd have any issues there. As far as different wiring plugs, cut one off and replace with the right fitting.

Unless there's something I'm missing here...

but wouldnt the mps use a lower voltage due to them being LED's? and mine would use a higher, thus if i step on the brake it would blow all the LED's

Quote Originally Posted by msport View Post
    but wouldnt the mps use a lower voltage due to them being LED's? and mine would use a higher, thus if i step on the brake it would blow all the LED's

Ahhh, you're getting confused with indicators. Brakelight will be fine. LEDs still use 12V.

The issue you're thinking of is when replacing normal indicator bulbs with LED ones - the lower resistance of an LED bulb causes the flasher relay to switch on/off faster, causing stupidly fast indicator blinking.
    2006 3MPS | CorkSport Stage 2 Intake | cp-e 75duro REM | more to come...

For upcoming cruises and events in QLD, head to:
    http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/qld-forum/

Default MPS spoiler swap?

You'll be fine. Do iiiit!!

hmm, im just so unsure, there was a swap on mazda3revolution.com in america and they were the ones that brought the voltage issue up, they ended up having to splice and crap. I just wanna try it but dont want to blow the LED's or melt the wire. Might have to check the voltages with a meter

Drop into mine and we can experiment. PM me.

thanks brad, it just came in about 10 min ago, brand new Im going to have to drill a third hole in the car for the 3rd brake light to go im pretty sure :/

so i installed it this arvo, just had a bit of the problem with the clips but it took about 10 min to take the stock one off and put the mps one on. Decided to snap the middle clip as it was a pain in the ass, its held on by 2 other clips and bolts so it doesnt matter. havent joined the third brake light yet as im gonna call an auto electrician to confirm my previous doubts. Overall, not too bad

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0609.jpg 
Views:	549 
Size:	234.6 KB 
ID:	12241 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0610.jpg 
Views:	861 
Size:	243.6 KB 
ID:	12242Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0612.jpg 
Views:	433 
Size:	210.1 KB 
ID:	12243

Name:	IMAG0611.jpg 
Views:	308 
Size:	292.2 KB 
ID:	12244

now i gotta paint these rx-8 rims
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0608.jpg 
Views:	254 
Size:	310.8 KB 
ID:	12240  

mps wing on a standard 3???

Name:	rice.jpg 
Views:	222 
Size:	50.6 KB 
ID:	12245

LEDs do not run on 12V, if you plug a LED into 12V it will die (Red LED for example run on about 1.7V to 2V). To run LEDs on a higher voltage system you need to put a resistor in with it. I'm sure Mazda took this into account when they designed the LED lights and have put in the correct resistors and they will likely be internal to the light. If you were to make your own LED lights though you'd have to take this stuff into account and design in the proper resistance. Most common problem you'll have when it comes to running LED lights designed for cars is that for a filament globe polarity doesn't matter, where a LED light will only work if you plug it in the correct way. Not an issue if you have plugs which cannot be reversed, but by the sound of it you're going to have to chop off the connectors.

I would suggest just chop the wires off, strip a bit of the plastic off and twist them together, if you wire it wrong nothing will happen, if you wire it right it'll light up. Main thing to remember when doing electrical stuff in your car is that the body of the car is grounded. If you let the positive wire touch anything metal you'll blow the fuse, if you don't let that happen, working on something like the light system can be pretty easy and isn't very dangerous. Although I should probably put in a disclaimer here, while a 12V system is comparatively safe (compared to the 240V in your house) respect must be given to the car battery. If you short it without a fuse it can put out 600+ amps which likely cause whatever is shorting it to get stupidly hot then burst into flames.

thought so - i've already cut the mps connector off anyway as both of the connectors were male (spoiler and from car). thanks for the input

13. Default

hey mate, how did the issue go with the brake light? Im planning to put an MPS spoiler on my Sp25 and I heard you can cut both ends and connect with a terminal.....