User Tag List

Thread: Starting problem

Default Starting problem

Hi all,

I have noticed that my 3MPS has developed a slight and occasional starting problem.

When the car is cold (parked over night), it start perfectly fine first thing in the morning, maybe half a crank and it would sit at high idle (~1500rpm).

When the car is hot, it will also start perfectly fine. Half a crank and she's up and running.

But when the car is warm, for example, parked at an undercover shopping centre for a couple of hours, it sometimes refuses to start. I would crank the engine for 2-3 secs and it will hesitantly kick over, goes into a very low idle (maybe less than 500 rpm) for a second before it picks up again back to normal idle.

Anyone got any ideas or suggestions?

Spud

How many k's have you done? Try cleaning your MAF?

Dont go shopping !

Are you giving the car a bit of throttle when starting, or just foot off and turning the key.
    I have had a similar experience with mine a handful of times where it has started with the low idle, then picked up again, I just keyed it off and back on the be safe.

If I were to guess the car is reading residual temperatures that are still hanging around "under bonnet" as there wouldn't be much fresh air circulating in an enclosed carpark, the car thinks it is going into a warm start program, when it starts it is actually colder than it thinks and takes a moment or two to rethink, my best guess anyway.

I'd suggest talk with your service department...

If there is an issue about it - you might find warranty would pick this up.

Can't say i've had this issue before, mine always starts first kick.. As others have mentioned, it may be something simple like the MAF sensor needing a clean, worth a try.. How many kms are on your car Spud?

Id give the MAF a quick clean and mention it at next service

Thanks for everyone's reply. My car has done 85,000km. Over the weekend I cleaned the MAF and also my K&N panel filter. The problem seems to have gone away now.

By the way, if any one is using a K&N filter, the clean and recharge kit is on sale at the moment at Auto Barn, from $30 down to $20. The kit includes the cleaning solution and the oil. I was surprised at how dirty my filter was after 80,000km.

Cheers,
    Spud

Good stuff,

Thats the only problem with the K&Ns, if you over oil some can contaminate the MAF..
    (not necessarily the problem in your situation).

I have this problem guys - just wondering where the MAF can be found so I can clean it? I also have the k&n panel installed..

Quote Originally Posted by fuz View Post
    I have this problem guys - just wondering where the MAF can be found so I can clean it? I also have the k&n panel installed..
    I hope this is what you looking for

Cleaning the MAF & IAT sensors
    CES "SS" TBE | SURE "Aeros" SRI | SURE "Sidewinder" TIP | SURE "Return" Recirc Hose | CUSTOM "PWR Core" FMIC | Hypertech "Tuned" | Turbosmart "Atmo" BOV | MSD DashHawk | CP-e REM | SURE "Anchors" Shifter Bushings | JBR SSP and Weight | JBR Heavy Knob |Redline Hood Quick LIFT ELITE | TEIN "SS" Coilovers | Front - Rear HOTCHKIS Swaybars | Front - Rear DBA 4000 Slotted Rotors | A1RM Brake Pads | 18x8 +45 Tenzo-R Cuzco Black V1 | 235/40/18 Michelin Pilot Super Sport | Safe n' Sound baby Seat lol

Could also have been a sticky EGR valve. If it keeps doing it or happens again in the same situation I'd be checking that too.

12. Default

yeah i would use a non oil filter mate . if can get your hands on a ob2 ecu reader might tell you your problem. it might even be a crankshatf idiling positioning senor . they r known to go a fair bit mazda will cover under warranty. let mazda take look and ask them about the senor. oh your mil light(engine) will not show up on the dash. my old 3 had this problem at about 80k mark. its a big job anyhow hope thats not the case.

Thanks guys, for all the help. Nirvandan, thanks for the link, i will try following that and see how things go....