User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dan's Garage - 2012 VW Scirocco R - White

Default Dan's Garage - 2012 VW Scirocco R - White

This weekend I had the pleasure of working on a white VW Scirocco R. This one belongs to the mate of the Grey one I did a three weeks ago. This one also had the APR treatment. I was lucky enough to be given a quick blat in it when the owner came to pick it up and it moves quick especially with the DSG doing the shifting. Really impressive piece of kit this car is and a joy to work on.

Pre-wash. Not too bad. The owner hadn't had a chance to wash it since a road trip that was taken not long ago

The obligatory dealer-installed polish stains on window rubbers

Plasti-dipped wheels that were done by the owner. These things are a bit of a nightmare to clean due to their composition and fragility, but I'll get to that later

Road grime

And some baked-on bugs from the road trip to round it out

Combo Tar and Ferrous iron remover working away and doing its thing. There was a reasonable amount of ferrous matter stuck to the car. Probably stemming all the way back to pre-delivery

Working away at some of the tar that had also adhered itself to the paint

After the wash it got pulled into the garage. Instead of a standard claybar I used the ZAS Surface Prep Towel. This is the first decent outing for me for this product and I'm actually quite taken with it. After being completely underwhelmed by the last lot of claybar alternative products I tested a while back I was in a very skeptical mindset when I pulled this out of its packet. However after a few mins of using it I was very impressed. It does everything clay does, only faster and easier. I found folding it into quarters worked best in terms of managable surface area while claying. It also means you can flip it every panel and a half or so and work using and instantly clean surface. Much faster than re-molding clay.

I found it also worked contours much more easily due to its malleability. So it was much easier to work heavily sculpted panels (something the Scirocco has in no short supply). For example, the bulges in the roof for the hatch hinges are an area that clay can be a but fiddly to work around (depending on the type of clay you use). The Surface Prep Towel glided over it without any hassle. Same as the lower areas of the front and rear bumpers. There are some tight curves and sharp corners there that it can be challenging to cover well with clay. The towel got them all though.

There was also zero marring. Granted this is on VAG (Volkswagen Auto Group) paint, which is harder than typical Japanese paint, however it's not that hard. I was expecting to see some sort of marring, but there was literally nothing. Very surprising

The only downside I can see with the towel over regular clay is I was finding myself using significantly more lubricant. At least a third more than usual I'd say. Though whether this is me being paranoid I can't say for 100% certain. I'm pretty sure I could have gotten away with using less. The more experience I have using this towel though the better I think I'll be able to gauge the right amount to spray.

Anyway, onto pic of swirls and water marks

Considering the age of the car, there were some surprisingly deep swirls on the bonnet. It just goes to show again that a car's age can mean very little. Even brand new cars can still have substantial damage.

Some hefty water marks too, though these weren't etched too badly. A decent shot of Prima Amigo probably would have gotten 80% of these out. They machined out easily.

More swirls

Those gloss black highlights. I reckon the VW design team snuck these highlights in while the engineering team were out to lunch. Visually they do a great job of accenting the car, but being gloss solid black without some sort of coating it's not long before they just become swirl monsters, as can be seen here

Post Correction and Opti-Coat (these highlights are also incredibly soft. I had to finish with a 4" LC CCS Red pad and HD Uno in order to avoid machine-induced marring with the polisher)

Paintwork after two stage correction. First stage Optimum Polish II on Orange LC CCS. Finished down with HD Uno on White LC CCS

Front gloss black sections taped off for Opti-Coat. All the gloss black sections on the car were Opti-Coated, but the rest of the car was an Prima Amigo/Epic Sealant combo

Rear sections either side of the glass (Opti-Coated)

1st layer of Prima Epic and tucked in for the night

The following day (Sunday) the second layer went on and while that was curing I set about cleaning up the rest of the car, wheels, glass, rubbers, plastics etc

Glass (water spots)

Water spots removed

Caff Mobile Mk1 - 2010 Aluminum Gen II | 2XS SRI | H&R Lowered Springs | cpe 75 Duro Engine Mount | Whiteline Rear Swaybar | Moog "Problem Solver" Rear Endlinks | 3M Carbon Black Tint | Lakin Custom Plates | Opti-Coat Paint Protection | Paint Correction by Me - SOLD

Caff Mobile Mk2 - 2008 BMW Z4M Coupe - Sapphire Black Metallic | Stock....for now

As mentioned earler, the wheels had been Plasti-dipped.

When applied to wheels though, the combination of the rubberised texture and the fact it can be somewhat fragile means that it can't be cleaned by traditional APCs or wheel cleaners. The texture also makes it somewhat of a dust magnet, meaning that even wheels that have been washed still have dust lodged in them, making them still look quite dirty.

Observe, these were the wheels after having been washed

Still looking pretty average due to the ingrained dirt in the textured surface.

There was no way I could hand the car back with wheels in this condition, so I ended up using an interior cleaner that was safe for vinyl/plastics and agitating it lightly with a paint brush in order to dislodge this ingrained dirt. I then wiped it away with a Megs glass cloth (normal MF towels are far to grabby on this texture and run the risk of peeling it off)

End result. Much better, but I still couldn't get the insides of the wheels, which annoyed the crap out of me

Some final pics outdoors in the sun

The gloss black highlights respond so well to Opti-Coating

Thanks for looking

Dan
    Caff Mobile Mk1 - 2010 Aluminum Gen II | 2XS SRI | H&R Lowered Springs | cpe 75 Duro Engine Mount | Whiteline Rear Swaybar | Moog "Problem Solver" Rear Endlinks | 3M Carbon Black Tint | Lakin Custom Plates | Opti-Coat Paint Protection | Paint Correction by Me - SOLD

Caff Mobile Mk2 - 2008 BMW Z4M Coupe - Sapphire Black Metallic | Stock....for now

Default Re: Dan's Garage - 2012 VW Scirocco R - White

Wow mate that is an awesome job, I'm very impressed with the gloss black wing mirrors and how they came up. Question tho, what is this "prepsol cloth" that u r using instead of a clay block. Is it a better result or just quicker? I have to say I like the blue clay magic blocks, I find they arnt to soft that u have to break Ur back trying to get tar and what not off but not to hard that u instantly scratch the paint.

Sent from my HTC Sensation XL with Beats Audio X315b using Tapatalk 2

Love it, great write up and top quality skills

top job matey!!

ps: These cars on the road look haawwt!

Quote Originally Posted by MPS86 View Post
    Wow mate that is an awesome job, I'm very impressed with the gloss black wing mirrors and how they came up. Question tho, what is this "prepsol cloth" that u r using instead of a clay block. Is it a better result or just quicker? I have to say I like the blue clay magic blocks, I find they arnt to soft that u have to break Ur back trying to get tar and what not off but not to hard that u instantly scratch the paint.

Thanks for that

The ZAS Surface Prep Towel is a new product http://www.zas.com.au/product/592/za...rep_towel.html

(That's my MPS in the pic )

I wouldn't say it does a more effective job than clay, so if you have lots of tar you'll have a similar struggle with this than you would with clay. Its advantage is more in speed, reusability, and its ability to follow contours better.

If you're having probs with tar you're better to use something to help loosen it up during your wash so the clay doesn't have such a hard time working it off. There are lots of tar removal products out there which you can employ as a loosening agent

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by Caffeine Fiend View Post
    There are lots of tar removal products out there which you can employ as a loosening agent

Yea I find that a good wash with soap and mix a small bit of degreaser like "u ripper" or "quickclean" and she is good to go. I find if I'm doing a full detail I like to strip the paint back (as in no polish) so I know what's on the car and I can see the condition of the paint i.e swirls and what not, plus Some people use not nice products so I like to get rid of that lol.

I will have to check this cloth thingy out.

I normally use a mix of truck wash and APC in a foam lance to strip polish/wax off cars. I will then follow it up with a ferrous iron remover and a tar loosener i(f required). APC under the guards. Then a hand wash with truck wash again.

Any contaminants that survive that have been loosened and generally clay right off. I've found only really serious stuff like white line marking needs more attention

Car looks great! Fantastic work Dan

10. Default Dan's Garage - 2012 VW Scirocco R - White

Thanks for the hard work on the car Dan!!! I'm extremely happy with it

I think im going to get rid of the plasti dip on the rims and just get the rims professionally painted gloss black. Will be a lot easier to clean.

Hot hot !!

Quote Originally Posted by RoccoR View Post
    Thanks for the hard work on the car Dan!!! I'm extremely happy with it

I think im going to get rid of the plasti dip on the rims and just get the rims professionally painted gloss black. Will be a lot easier to clean.
    I'm really happy you like the job Dave. It was a great car to work on

+1 for painting

Very nice Dan.

You are just improving in leaps and bounds mate, very pro detail.

Going to spank you for not telling me about HD Uno though, even if you get off on it lol.

Awesome result! Looks fantastic!

I'm going to need to think of some more synonyms for 'awesome' and 'fantastic' for each new instalment of "Dan's Garage."

Have you tried Uno? It's not bad. GPS works cooler on the panel though, so better for sticky/soft paint

Quote Originally Posted by kevstewart View Post
    Love it, great write up and top quality skills
    Quote Originally Posted by 99GTT View Post
    top job matey!!

ps: These cars on the road look haawwt!
    Quote Originally Posted by jobo View Post
    Car looks great! Fantastic work Dan
    Quote Originally Posted by 37371118 View Post
    Hot hot !!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamesa2z View Post
    Awesome result! Looks fantastic!

I'm going to need to think of some more synonyms for 'awesome' and 'fantastic' for each new instalment of "Dan's Garage."

Thanks Guys

I have a BMW 1M lined up in a couple of weeks which should be fun too

Very pretty
    Might have to give that surface prep cloth a go....

Such an ugly car and could you clean up your work space a little geez

please note the sarcastic "" at the end before anyone starts hurling abuse in my direction
    Last edited by MISSMPS; 03-09-2012 at 12:46 PM.

Hahah I love you too Missy

thats mint Dan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast