User Tag List

Thread: Is my Clutch gone?

Default Is my Clutch gone?

Gear stick feels a little loose, doesnt feel like it grabs hold of the gear when i shift. When i attempt to accelerate theres a lag and revs go up very slowly, and kind of like it doesnt want to be revved. Its still able to rev in neutral. If i slowly accelerate its fine, it can stilll rev quite high.

Is my clutch worn out now?

If so, is there any places around perth that you may recommend?

Clutch you recommend? I used to have my eyes set on the Exedy super sport clutch! but i guess its now no good! but something thats as strong and heavy as that and around that price would be good.

thanks!
    Current Mods

Cobb Accessport 2XS SRI Protege TIP COBB Tuning Downpipe COBB Catback Exhaust HDI GT2 Pro FMIC HKS SSQ CPE ByPass Valve Autotech Fuel Pump DGR Coilovers Remsa Brake Pads TRW Brake Disks 2XS Short Shift Plate CPE Rear Engine Mount (75 Duro) Defi Boost Gauge JBarone Heavy Gear Knob JBarone Solid Shifter Bushings Rally Armor Urethane Mud Flaps Mugen Weather Shields Kumho KU31 225/40R18 6000K HID Kit for Low Beam + Fogs COBB Adjustable Short Throw Shifter Denso ITV22

Where would your clutch go? Just kidding.

I would read your codes and see if there is a code that's not triggering a CEL. Normally, if you have a bad clutch, it would act like revving in neutral, and you'd get slippage.
    -Tyler

As tyler mentioned, clutch gone = rapidly increasing rev's, without increasing speed (slippage). If your car feels like it is reluctant to rev, then it could be a problem elsewhere.

easy test, go find a hill, put it in first and try to drive up the hill. If your rev's hit 4000 and you're barely moving, good chance your clutch is busted. You may also be able to smell that lovely burning friction pad smell when driving.

Okay! Thanks guys! Well by the looks of things, its not a bad clutch which is good news. But now the question is, whats wrong? What could be causing this problem? Only thing done to the car recently is gear box oil change to vmx80.

Doesn't sound like a slipping clutch.

EDIT: Too slow

Default Re: Is my Clutch gone?

Re what clutch, there is another thread. Exedy stopped supply due to issues.

Does not sound like clutch, maybe the gearbox feel is a coincidence and you have another issue.. If you are in 4th and go wot what happens?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

A slipping clutch is not going to make any difference to the way your shift feels on engagement. You'd smell it soon enough after a few tries.

Sounds more like fuel or air starvation or boost limiting to me with only the thin info available to go on. If you have no CEL's that makes it trickier to diagnose unless you go to a dealer or have a Dashhawk. I'd consider:

How many kms on the car, is the air-filter stock or has it been altered and if so, how, is it blocked (plastic bag sucked into the intake, etc). Possible fuel, pump feed issues or line blockage, etc. Is turbo wastegate sticking? These are just a few suggestions in 3 separate areas.

More specifics if possible, please.
    CP_e Standback & PNP; CP_e 3" SS Downpipe; Corksport FMIC with Top-mount K&N filter & OEM Ram CAI; Turbosmart BOV; Dashhawk; Prosport Boost Guage; JBR solid shift bushes; DBA 4000 Wiper-Slot front rotors; Hawk Ferro-Carbon HPS Street front brake pads (@ 69,000km); Sumitomo HTRZIII's in 225/45 x 18

If you launch in 2nd gear at 5000rpm you will find out..