User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Catback Exhaust System

Default Catback Exhaust System

Hi All,

Spoke with Westside Mufflers this morning and got a quote of $800 fitted for a 3" Stainless Steel Catback Exhaust system. This includes new tips.
    Any downsides I should know about? Also do you know if this will make my car alot louder? Westside say it will have a nice note that wont be heard streets away which is what I want. All i was thinking originally was replacing the muffler. All i really want is sound, also preferably only when on boost, with no DE-crease in performance. Dont want it super loud just want to hear something. Mazda 3 MPS Gen 2 is so damn quiet from standard lol.

Any information/Opinions appreciated.
    Last edited by MATMPS; 29-08-2012 at 01:24 PM.

If I were you I would put that money to a downpipe instead , it will give the car a nice deep note. And give you about 20kw power increase.

The 3" cat back will just make it loud, quite loud actually. And offer no power increase

That’s a good price

I think @Yeldarb paid $800 for his custom setup which included a magnaflow muffler.

Do u know what kind of muffler Westside are putting in??

It will sound nice…will give it a nice boxer like rumble. This is from the various youtube clips ive heard over the last few years.

With a downpipe would i require a tune? Also have problems with CEL? Car is only 9 months old, want to make sure everything will be OK

or if u want some extra noise but dont wanna fork out the $800, go with the resonator delete..Westside did mine for $90.
    Sounds nice too. MPSNOOB had a thread and everyone that has done it are pleased with the result

That is an awesome price! FYI my catback was around $1200 (I think) for a mild steel 3" twin resonator with two stainless steel supercat mufflers. Gonna drone like a bitch though...just so you know! But will sound great

Quote Originally Posted by rogwick View Post
    That is an awesome price! FYI my catback was around $1200 (I think) for a mild steel 3" twin resonator with two stainless steel supercat mufflers. Gonna drone like a bitch though...just so you know! But will sound great
    Yeah i thought it was a pretty good price, But i honestly dont want it to be alot louder or drone et, I just want to be able to hear the engine a bit more, and preferably only when I give it. I think I will just go and get resonator deleted and see how that sounds. I guess if it sounds bad can always weld back on, and for $90, not a big deal.

prices I got quoted in Brizi for cat back stainless steel are over $1900

i only have a dp to a single exit 2.5" non straight thru and most the vic members will vouch thats its loud but sound sick at full harp

Quote Originally Posted by MATMPS View Post
    Yeah i thought it was a pretty good price, But i honestly dont want it to be alot louder or drone et, I just want to be able to hear the engine a bit more, and preferably only when I give it. I think I will just go and get resonator deleted and see how that sounds. I guess if it sounds bad can always weld back on, and for $90, not a big deal.
    From Perth to Bunbury, by the time I get there and shut off my MPS I can still hear it running in my noggin! And I have one of the quietest *modified exhausts out there I reckon. Depends what sort of driving you do mate. It will sound good and I thought about it, but my lifestyle going on long cruises, it's just too much. Many mates have sold their SS exhausts from member to member. Ask the same place for a quote on a mild steel setup if you like

With great power comes great fuel consumption...
    M P S
    - 6 - RR | Cobb AP | CAI | TIP | ATP GTX28R | 3.25" TMIC | SS DP | REM | 3" Zorst | SSP Anchors & Countershift | DBA Rotors | K/Springs | Upper & Lower Bracing | Alpine Type S 12" sub MRP-M500 Amp
    | Grille | STi Lip | Shark Fin | 6000K HID | Fog Light Tint | Twin DEFI gauges | Custom Decals & Badges | LED lighting | CF Mirrors & Pillars | Black rims Red callipers

A downpipe will give you a lot more of the grumbly note that the MPS's have (with a decent performance increase too), without increasing cabin noise too much, a cat back alone will give you noise, and possibly drone.

Not sure if you've ever bothered listening to mine in the afternoon traffic, mine has a cp-e downpipe, 3" SS mandrel piping into a magnaflow straight through muffler which then tapers down to the stock 2.5 rear muffler & tailpipe, it has a nice cabin note, and is very tolerable with minimal drone.
    Apparently it sounds really good from the outside, but I never really get the chance to hear it.

Im not too familiar with the layout of the gen 2 exhaust though
    Nearly all men can stand adversity. But if you want to test a man's character - give him power.
    Abraham Lincoln

+1 to drone with catback. Exhaust gasses too held back by the stock DP. Need to free that bad boy up!!

Quote Originally Posted by MattMPS3 View Post
    A downpipe will give you a lot more of the grumbly note that the MPS's have (with a decent performance increase too), without increasing cabin noise too much, a cat back alone will give you noise, and possibly drone.

Not sure if you've ever bothered listening to mine in the afternoon traffic, mine has a cp-e downpipe, 3" SS mandrel piping into a magnaflow straight through muffler which then tapers down to the stock 2.5 rear muffler & tailpipe, it has a nice cabin note, and is very tolerable with minimal drone.
    Apparently it sounds really good from the outside, but I never really get the chance to hear it.

I have heard yours in the traffic and it sounds awesome. Might look into the downpipe. What about just replacing the muffler to a magnaflow and welding stock back tips to it, would that be any different to a catback?

i have a full 3" stainless turbo back with a hi-flow cat and single exit 3" magnaflow muffler and I don't think it's loud at all. Cost me less than $1000 for the full setup as well

Could be worse. My ears buzz after riding this. Pretty much a straight through SS pipe about 1400mm long, 15,000RPM through a tunnel sounds like a Ferrari though!

16. Default Catback Exhaust System

I have a Gen 2 MPS with DP and standard cat back exhaust. Very quiet in the cabin when cruising but louder (outside) once you hit boost. I dig it snd it looks standard for the boys in blue

Default Re: Catback Exhaust System

Quote Originally Posted by rogwick View Post
    Could be worse. My ears buzz after riding this. Pretty much a straight through SS pipe about 1400mm long, 15,000RPM through a tunnel sounds like a Ferrari though!

If you think that's bad wait till you hear a GP exhaust.

Sent From A Galaxy2. IPhone Sucks. Using Tapatalk2
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1346458479130.jpg 
Views:	209 
Size:	99.1 KB 
ID:	12186  

i've got a CP-e cat back on mine, sounds stock while cruising but sounds nice any other time, zero drone from mine. Looking for a DP soon and if i'd agree with everyone else in saying do the DP first if your after more power, if you want some noise then go a cat back. I just wanted a bit of noise and left the DP last

Cause everyone else is doing :P ride mine, thats the full system, no cat, straight pipes, 1078cc MV goodness, refuse to ride it without the baffle in it due to it being stupidly loud lol

Quote Originally Posted by MattMPS3 View Post

@MattMPS3 If you don't mind me asking, how much did your exhaust set up cost you? Looking to do something similar. Only really want the sound of the Magnaflow muffler so if I can keep cutting/replacing the stock exhaust to a minimum then that would be sweet. Do you know if it's possible just to have the Magnaflow muffler whilst keeping the rest of the stock cat back as is? Cheers!
    BLACK3MPS
    CORKSPORT|TMIC // SURE|AEROS // SURE|SIDEWINDER // SURE|RETURN // SURE|SHORTCUT // SURE|ANCHORS // SURE|COUNTERSHIFT // SURE|TORQ R3 // WHITELINE|RSB // MOOG|ENDLINKS // COBB|ACCESSPORT // CP-E|DOWNPIPE // AUTOTECH|INTERNALS

Waiting for my CP-e DP to arrive from the US and plan to install it at home; someone asked about the need for a tune after installing a DP? Confirm / deny pls?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast