User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1st gear Problems - Stutter/Backfire

Default 1st gear Problems - Stutter/Backfire

Hey all,

Had my 40k service and ecu update.

Ive noticed my car hesitates and stumbles but only in first gear (everytime I go WOT in first, light-moderate throttle = no problem). I also have the occasional backfire with smoke.

Once again this only happens in first and all other gears the car pulls smooth.

Any ideas?

Maybe another stupid ECU update has changed some fuel trims.....not sure??? Give it a few k's to settle down & see what happens, otherwise, i'd be taking it back to the dealer.
    What did they sting you for the 40k service??
    I just got my 30k done today, cost $130....not too bad i suppose.

$450+

Blog Entries

It sounds like the ECU for sure.

Like it is trying to relearn the cars setup for the first time, when I fitted my SRI for the first time and trying to get it running it would do that for a while, stutter like crazy and cough and complain but then it would figure out that its getting extra air due to the SRI and settle down.

Mate I hate to say it but it sounds similar to what my car and many other MPS6's have been doing for ages. I've been wondering if the 3's would eventually develop the hesitation. Hope I'm wrong, because there's no known solution despite a lot of time money and effort being spent trying to find one.

However by going from a Piasini tune to Mazda's latest iteration of evil software, you may have isolated the cause.

Let us know if the condition improves.

This could be a long shot, but people have reported the coil spring stretching has helped reduce stutter, but most likely its just your fuel trims trying to relearn post ECU reflash.

%@$^$&!!!

Give it a few days, if it is still playing up, maybe try an ECU reset.. So it was perfectly fine before going back to the Mazda flash? Anything else done at the service that may of caused it?

Simple Timeline/Overview

Removed all mods except for fuel pump/Exhaust/ Flash.

Had 40k which included update. Flash lost

Reinstalled ETS TMIC.

1st Gear is weak and stumbles through the rev range at WOT. I have taken it easy through 1st for last couple of days. Will pop/backfire most times if going WOT through 1st and changing to 2nd.

Side notes

Lazy attempt to return to relatively stock for service/Warranty work.

I noticed on return after 40k service that I had left the CPE label on the Fuelpump (really obvious) and had left the SWAS disconnected, Light would have been lit on dash (which they had kindly reconnected). Not sure if they though "Ohh the plug fell out?"
    Last edited by magoo; 28-04-2009 at 08:50 PM.
    08 VW GTI PIRELLI DSG - 1 OF 400
    S3 HEART WITH 229 kw OF APR GOODNESS

SOLD - 06 MPS3 / CPE CAI / CPE HKS BOV / CPE HV2 BELLMOUTH DUMP & METALLIC CAT / CPE MOUNT / COBB SUSPENSION / DBA SLOTTED ROTORS C/W HAWKS PADS

Might be worth a try temporarily going back to the stock TMIC to eliminate this as a possible cause? Doubt it would be though... Also make sure all your hose clamps are tight on the intake and TMIC if you haven't already..

Ahhh, more pieces to the puzzle, it sounds to me as though you are possibly getting a bit of the dreaded KR, odd that it only happens in first gear, and could very likely be caused by a vac/boost leak.
    Do you know of anyone with a Dashhawk you can borrow and run a log, maybe worth monitoring & logging KR, boost, & MAF volts (just in case the carwash splash has caused more damage than first suspected).

Feels more like a SWAS (1-2 Torque/Boost Reduct) issue. The Piasini flash caused the the car to cut when any angle was applied instead of the progressive stock reduction. This kind of feels like a boost/Torque reduction in first, not sure if that makes sense.

I wonder if after having the SWAS disconnected for 6 months the ecu with the update is relearning the 1-2 and angle controls?

Crap

---------- Post added at 09:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:38 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by MattMPS3 View Post
    Ahhh, more pieces to the puzzle, it sounds to me as though you are possibly getting a bit of the dreaded KR, odd that it only happens in first gear, and could very likely be caused by a vac/boost leak.
    Do you know of anyone with a Dashhawk you can borrow and run a log, maybe worth monitoring & logging KR, boost, & MAF volts (just in case the carwash splash has caused more damage than first suspected).
    Car wash issue resolved itself a while ago. Could a vac/Boost leak cause probs only in 1st?

SOLD - 06 MPS3 / CPE CAI / CPE HKS BOV / CPE HV2 BELLMOUTH DUMP & METALLIC CAT / CPE MOUNT / COBB SUSPENSION / DBA SLOTTED ROTORS C/W HAWKS PADS

Sorry for my ignorance but what are you referring to by KR matt?

Knock Retard?

Yeah, KR = Knock Retard...

Last night Reset ECU. No change

Tonight removed ETS and replaced stocker + ECU reset. No change

I have reset the car heaps of times with the removal of Parts/Flashing/Disc SWAS/Services/Warranty. The car I feel is not **** in 1st due to a relearning phase as this was never experienced with previous resets. The only new aspect is the ECU update.

I phoned mazda service dept yesterday and spoke to service manager, he said to bring her in and he will hook to diagnostic gear.

The mods I currently have fitted are the CP-E pump and CP-E exhaust. Im fearfull the prob could maybe be pump or fueling related. If this turns out to be so, Mazda will look at or replace the pump. Im sure that their feeling of an aftermarket pump wont be positive and the alternative is that they replace a much more expensive unit with the OEM kit.

Obviously the mods remaining cannot be removed, Im not worried about the TBE as my turbo was replaced with this in place. Im worried about the pump and its not like I have another as the OEM is exchanged with CP-E.

&@^&$^!!! cars
    Last edited by magoo; 01-05-2009 at 12:07 AM.

Blog Entries

I'm wondering if re-tuning with an exede would solve the problem - let's say the pump is flowing more or differently to how the stock tune expects it to - a tune may well resolve that.

Looking more like software. I've had the discussion with Mazda engineers and they said "there is absolutely no way" of reverting to an earlier version. Reading between the lines I took this to mean that they could but the Japs wouldn't let them.

I refuse to cut any of the loom. This cancels Xede out. Ill shoot CT a message as to wether the rare and illusive Ezyflash is ready (fat chance).

3 things.

1/Anybody have any idea as to wether the accessport is still coming to OZ and the time frame?

2/Anybody spoken to CT lately re-the Ezyflash?

3/Rumour has it that somebody has worked out a pin extraction technique or something along these lines. Can that individual or somebody in the know contact me via PM or whatever. This could make the xede viable.
    Last edited by magoo; 01-05-2009 at 09:48 AM.

you have PM

I emailed ChipTorque a few weeks ago to see if there were any updates on flashing the MPS 3:

"Thanks for your email and sorry for the delay in responding to your enquiry.

Yes it is true that we have been developing reflash for the Mazda 3 MPS directly to the factory ECU.

Great news! We have had some recent breakthroughs with our flash tune development for Mazda.

ChipTorque have been assessing and developing flash tuning technology for the Mazda 3 MPS. Our first development vehicle is a Mazda 3 MPS that has previously been driving for a few years using the ChipTorque XEDE Processor. This opportunity has allowed us to get a great comparison between these 2 tuning methods and has really highlighted the advantages of Reflash over Intercepting the factory ECU.

With full control of the factory ECU ChipTorque’s dyno programmers are enthused to find that they have been able to hold the throttle open longer allowing for the Mazda 3 MPS to extend its power range higher in the rev range. Previously with the XEDE Processor peak power was achieved at 5,500rpm, then dropped above that point. Now with the flash tune, we have seen peak power at a similar rpm point and beyond but where it previously dropped in power, now holding this power through to the rev limit.

This power extention isn’t just experienced at peak power, the Mazda 3 MPS adopts this characteristic throughout transitional gear changes, reducing loss of power through gear changes. Additionally the flash tune technology has allowed our tuners to adjust cam timing for some exciting response improvements at part throttle.

ChipTorque are continuing their flash tune development for the Mazda 3 MPS and looking to assess Mazda 6 MPS and CX-7 anticipating similar development and tuning results. Our development team are also working to integrate the Ezy-FLASH for use on Mazda vehicles, but right now we are flashing directly into the factory ECU, paired with an in-house custom dyno tune.

We offer flash tunes inclusive of an in-house custom dyno tune for the Mazda 3 MPS for $1000 and this will take 1 business day. Please give me a call or email if you have furhter questions, or would like to make an appointment for this service"

I emailed them back asking for more info on power and torque gains etc but haven't heard back yet..

Cheers

Paul.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast