User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1st gear Problems - Stutter/Backfire

Are you familiar with what the Ukranians are doing with ECU tuning? They're making the yank products look somewhat amateurish in terms of the level of access they have achieved.

This is one of their first efforts on a stock engine:

Their forums don't translate into English very well but here's a link to a US thread that includes a few snippets of useful info among the usual bitching. Skip the first 9 pages of crap if you're going to have a look.

New ECU reflash solution under development - Mazda6 / Atenza

Here's a quote to wet your appetite:

And some news from the Ukrainians.
    They have successfully identified the following elements in the ECU and made them available for modification:
    - fuel injection, partial throttle, full throttle
    - ignition, knock monitoring, knock retard control, knock sensor maps based on RPMs/load (this is to enable tuning for forged motors, because they would be noisier and the knock sensor would register false knock)
    - eletronic throttle control (based on pedal position, RPMs, boost, speed)
    - high pressure fuel pump control
    - catless mode
    - rear oxygen sensor elimination (no need for trick kits anymore)
    - boost cut (no need for map sensor tricks)
    - rev limiter
    - idle speed
    - speed limiter
    - removal of tests for various sensors/solenoids, for example VTCS flaps, wastegate solenoid (if you have a boost controller)

By changing necessary parameters they were successful in increasing power for a stock MPS6 from 260 HP to 309 HP (crank HP). Price for tuning is $600.

And here's another quote from one of the developers:

Our software allows to tune your stock ECU on your car with your hardware installed...any way you want, the same as you can tune any aftermarket standalone ECU. Nothing near of just flashing one of few programs someone wrote for all mazda cars in the world. Feel the difference.

It's not 12K price tag. 10 owners can split software cost and pay less then any standart tune available for his car.

More then that, we can make really special offer for non commercial usage of our software, such as this comunity group buy.

If you're still not convinced here's what the famous whoosh had to say about it:
    I dont think many if not anybody here realizes what you are really saying here otherwise they would willing to give rights to their first born or possibly offer up misc organs etc etc for the ability to program their ECU
    this is so much more than an AP map or single purpose flash like "no cut"

If you happen to speak Ukrainian you can check it out here:
    Киевский Turbo Garage - Комплексный тюнинг Вашего автомобиля, интернет-магазин.

Looks very promising. And there's every likelihood it will be the most capable tuning solution yet. We need to get this into Australia.

Gone to Volvo

Ok. Called CT

The Ezyflash is a little while off as the ability for it to read to the Mazdas ECU is not 100% reliable thus far.

CT can though flash direct to the ECU (obviously this part of the Ezyflash program is done), the Ezyflash is just the tool to hold/Read/install tunes etc and its ability to work with the mazda is not complete.

The tune for my car would have to be custom as they have tuned several cars but none use a full aftermarket Hpfp.

This custom tune would take around 4hrs at $200 per hour. I would then recieve a credit of $200 odd when the Ezyflash tool is ready. The only downside is that I will have to pay to reflash (untill I have the Ezyflash tool) my custom tune back to the car when mazda does its pcm updates, this would be around 1/2hour if using the custom tune developed originally ($100).

One car as mentioned in a previous reply by PaulieG has been running the Xede for a year or more and has converted to the flash.

The results are similar in power gains but the benefits are throttle control and more liniar delivery. The owner apparentely loves the flash and much prefers it to the xede.

As a side note -

power is in line with the xede as cam timing etc were found to be advanced from the factory and little changes were made. Benefits are in delivery and throttle control.

Mazdas Mps Targa team run a tandem of both the flash and the xede. The xede I believe is left so they can make adjustments to the tune during events without the need for all the flashing tools/hardware etc

I will see mazda today and after that will book to have the car flashed through CT.

Aaron
    08 VW GTI PIRELLI DSG - 1 OF 400
    S3 HEART WITH 229 kw OF APR GOODNESS

SOLD - 06 MPS3 / CPE CAI / CPE HKS BOV / CPE HV2 BELLMOUTH DUMP & METALLIC CAT / CPE MOUNT / COBB SUSPENSION / DBA SLOTTED ROTORS C/W HAWKS PADS

Update

Went to Mazda and had car put on diag machine. Nothing evident . Car had another PCM update and tech took for a drive. Tech told me dismissably that there wasnt anything wrong.

I gave him a dirty look and thought Ill be the judge of that and went off on a drive to find that everything appeared fine.

All I can think of is the SWAS being reconnected by a tech at the service. As per a suggestion by Corz once b4 you must go through a quick procedure after reconnecting the SWAS so that it understands the steering extremities. Perhaps the SWAS was reconnected after the pcm update and the ECU was cutting boost in first feeling steering angle was being applied? What else would explain the correction after a further PCM update that was the same as the one performed during last weeks service?

Anyways Im concerned about spending hours refitting all my goodies to find it triggers a new stutter.

Will also book a CT reflash for the coming week or so. Id love to know why these Beta testers we hear about never reside in our forums.
    08 VW GTI PIRELLI DSG - 1 OF 400
    S3 HEART WITH 229 kw OF APR GOODNESS

SOLD - 06 MPS3 / CPE CAI / CPE HKS BOV / CPE HV2 BELLMOUTH DUMP & METALLIC CAT / CPE MOUNT / COBB SUSPENSION / DBA SLOTTED ROTORS C/W HAWKS PADS

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by magoo View Post
    Update

Went to Mazda and had car put on diag machine. Nothing evident . Car had another PCM update and tech took for a drive. Tech told me dismissably that there wasnt anything wrong.

I gave him a dirty look and thought Ill be the judge of that and went off on a drive to find that everything appeared fine.
    two PCM update in such a short time seems a bit odd. If he didn't drive it before having the PCM update, he might not have given himself a chance to see the issue.

If they haven't changed anything but the PCM firmware, then the PCM firmware update has fixed it. Seems fairly clear cut, perhaps something with the previous update had an issue with the SWAS having been disonnected.

I've heard from a high-end diesel tech (semi's and mining) that sometimes flash updates can do weird things if they don't apply properly. He applied one once and afterwards the 110 speed limiter didn't work. He commented that a semi doing 250Km/h is kinda scary. I got the impression the driver tried it out....

To me as an IT worker a flash that doesn't apply properly = broken, but there is a possibility of a patch vs complete overwrite being responsible. In that case some portion of the piasini flash may have remained in place and that may have been removed by a complete rewrite rather than a partial overwrite (patch)

Don't know enough about the process to be sure, just edjumacated guesses.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12