User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: ATR Tuning, anyone had a crack

Quote Originally Posted by rayd View Post
    Please do find that table Sam! Looking forward to full VTA ability
    well, it's under the fuel tables under "Shifting Control Tables.", will have to look into it more tonight
    Newbie FAQ My Build Thread
    From stock, to GT3071, to substantially less modded, many lessons learned!
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

Default Re: ATR Tuning, anyone had a crack

Ok downpipe in. Had a CEL on first start up but cleared it and hasn't returned yet. Car pulls alot harder, not much of a change in noise. Doing a maf Cal tonight and onto some small tweaks afterwards.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Damn CEL came back. It's P0037, rear sensor heater not working.

4. Default ATR Tuning, anyone had a crack

Did you fit the spacer to the rear o2 sensor? Mine is just screwed into the bung with no spacer. Code might be coming on because the sensor is possibly out of the flow of exhaust air causing it to not to heat up.

No spacer

Quote Originally Posted by naasif View Post
    When I first switched from the Hypertech to the AP I noticed the boost levels rather low at lower rpms compared to the Hypertech, so I decided to read the extensive help available that came with the ATR software.

I posted a thread on the cobb forums in this regard (without mentioning the Hypertech) and Braden said small adjustments could be made to the boost levels target tables to increase responsiveness at lower throttle positions.

So, I've adjusted my OTS map accordingly, taking a common sense approach, ie without going stupid. I wanted the same smooth increase in boost as the OTS map but a little more down low (but not too much).

The interpolation feature (in both axis) makes adjusting figures so much easier and real-time visual feedback via the graphs ensures things look right.

ATR is quite powerful and there is a LOT of reading/understanding still to be done.

Here is an example of what I mean - Boost Target Table - OTS map on left, changes on right.

Attachment 12187

Like anything with ATR - common sense prevails. Read the help (and ask COBB), make small adjustments, log everything, re-adjust.
    @naasif

How are you finding driveability with the boost level changes at lower throttle?
    BLACK3MPS
    CORKSPORT|TMIC // SURE|AEROS // SURE|SIDEWINDER // SURE|RETURN // SURE|SHORTCUT // SURE|ANCHORS // SURE|COUNTERSHIFT // SURE|TORQ R3 // WHITELINE|RSB // MOOG|ENDLINKS // COBB|ACCESSPORT // CP-E|DOWNPIPE // AUTOTECH|INTERNALS

Quote Originally Posted by levitize View Post
    @naasif

How are you finding driveability with the boost level changes at lower throttle?
    No issues so far..I've adjusted mine again using the Stage1+TIH+IC+98 v231 as a base. It's a little more responsive now, in 2nd. 3rd and up wasn't a problem before.

I haven't quite been able to reproduce the responsiveness you get in 1st on the Hypertech. I think their mapping must be very aggressive and I think the WGDC or something else is limiting the torque/boost in 1st gear. I'm still reading trying to understand the helpfiles and guides.

Again, I did as COBB recommend - made the adjustments and logged to make sure everything was still ok, especially knock.

Here's my latest graphs. I've slightly increased boost starting Accelerator pedal position 6.25 and up -

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	boostchanges2.jpg 
Views:	348 
Size:	207.8 KB 
ID:	12730
    Trying to keep it subtle ... | COBB AccessPort | COBB DP | CP-e HPFP | CorkSport TMIC | TurboSmart BPV | Denso ITV22| CorkSport Boost Tubes | SURE Full3 Aeros | SURE REM (Street) | SURE AGS SS Shift Knob | 2XS SSP + SURE CounterShift | Speedline Front Strut Brace | Whiteline RSB | Prima Paint Protection

Quote Originally Posted by naasif View Post
    No issues so far..I've adjusted mine again using the Stage1+TIH+IC+98 v231 as a base. It's a little more responsive now, in 2nd. 3rd and up wasn't a problem before.

I haven't quite been able to reproduce the responsiveness you get in 1st on the Hypertech. I think their mapping must be very aggressive and I think the WGDC or something else is limiting the torque/boost in 1st gear. I'm still reading trying to understand the helpfiles and guides.

Again, I did as COBB recommend - made the adjustments and logged to make sure everything was still ok, especially knock.

Here's my latest graphs. I've slightly increased boost starting Accelerator pedal position 6.25 and up -

Name:	boostchanges2.jpg 
Views:	348 
Size:	207.8 KB 
ID:	12730

This latest change of yours looks quite the ramp up - how are you finding the performance with that? Compared to your original change?
    BLACK3MPS
    CORKSPORT|TMIC // SURE|AEROS // SURE|SIDEWINDER // SURE|RETURN // SURE|SHORTCUT // SURE|ANCHORS // SURE|COUNTERSHIFT // SURE|TORQ R3 // WHITELINE|RSB // MOOG|ENDLINKS // COBB|ACCESSPORT // CP-E|DOWNPIPE // AUTOTECH|INTERNALS

Quote Originally Posted by levitize View Post
    This latest change of yours looks quite the ramp up - how are you finding the performance with that? Compared to your original change?
    The graphs show the ramp up but the figures in the tables are quite low. I'll post the tonight so you can see. It's a very subtle change.
    Trying to keep it subtle ... | COBB AccessPort | COBB DP | CP-e HPFP | CorkSport TMIC | TurboSmart BPV | Denso ITV22| CorkSport Boost Tubes | SURE Full3 Aeros | SURE REM (Street) | SURE AGS SS Shift Knob | 2XS SSP + SURE CounterShift | Speedline Front Strut Brace | Whiteline RSB | Prima Paint Protection

Here are the graphs with the tables above.

As you can see I didn't increase the values by much. The graphs just make it look big

Name:	boostchanges2b.jpg 
Views:	259 
Size:	265.0 KB 
ID:	12734

Fair enough but I'm still not game enough to touch it! haha

I'll potentially be having a go early next year on my own car

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by SarcasticOne View Post
    I'll potentially be having a go early next year on my own car

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    Sounds like some fun times ahead!
    BLACK3MPS

14. Default

I gave it a go a few weeks back after thinking (read procrastinating) about it for months. I have read "Buckers ATR Cheat Sheet" , "Abilor's Tooning Guide for Noobs" guide and also the Cobb AP help file (multiple times over). They help with understanding what all the tables do and give some suggested figures to tweak. Some of the guides (particularly Abilors) havent been updated along with revisions to Cobb AP and ATR, so you should only use them as an introductory guide (as some of the content may be outdated)

I changed basic stuff like open Loop / closed loop tranistion times, Knock Retard decay, rev limiter, flat foot shifting, launch control, fuel density (matched it to the MSDS/TDS of V-Power), Waste Gate compensations, and did a MAF Calibration ... I wasn't game to up the boost from stage 1 (still on stock HPFP) or fiddle with the timing (might try that next, WOT logs showing little to no Knock)... but before hitting the timing table i really need to read and study more.

I loved setting up Launch Control and Flat Foot Shifting, it was very easy to do. Flat foot shifting is fun muchly. I've set it at 4.9k revs, but will probably change it to 4.5k revs to better match actual revs with required revs (i.e. shifting from 5.8k 2nd gear should land at about 4.5k in 3rd gear). I've set the Launch control to 3.1k revs. It sounds great bouncing off the limiter at 3.1k, because race car!

Quote Originally Posted by allo80 View Post
    I gave it a go a few weeks back after thinking (read procrastinating) about it for months. I have read "Buckers ATR Cheat Sheet" , "Abilor's Tooning Guide for Noobs" guide and also the Cobb AP help file (multiple times over). They help with understanding what all the tables do and give some suggested figures to tweak. Some of the guides (particularly Abilors) havent been updated along with revisions to Cobb AP and ATR, so you should only use them as an introductory guide (as some of the content may be outdated)

I changed basic stuff like open Loop / closed loop tranistion times, Knock Retard decay, rev limiter, flat foot shifting, launch control, fuel density (matched it to the MSDS/TDS of V-Power), Waste Gate compensations, and did a MAF Calibration ... I wasn't game to up the boost from stage 1 (still on stock HPFP) or fiddle with the timing (might try that next, WOT logs showing little to no Knock)... but before hitting the timing table i really need to read and study more.

I loved setting up Launch Control and Flat Foot Shifting, it was very easy to do. Flat foot shifting is fun muchly. I've set it at 4.9k revs, but will probably change it to 4.5k revs to better match actual revs with required revs (i.e. shifting from 5.8k 2nd gear should land at about 4.5k in 3rd gear). I've set the Launch control to 3.1k revs. It sounds great bouncing off the limiter at 3.1k, because race car!
    Awesome, thanks for sharing. I started off like you did but slowly read up on everything and now I have different tunes for E85, methanol and DD maps. I make changes pretty regulary due to changing temps etc. Were lucky to have Cobb support us so well cause not many platforms have access to Tuning devices like the Accessport and ATR to self tune.

I should have my accessport in a couple of weeks, once ive read up enough and am happy i know what im doing ill make changes, but for those that were on ots maps would you say they were safe in that your engine wouldnt detionate, overboost or run lean? I mean obviously the power wouldnt be as good as a pro tune but safety is the main thing. also how do u guys go with 4gear pulls all the time while logging, whats that 150km/hr plus
    mitch

You don't talk about 4th gear pulls mate.........that is secret squirrel stuff . I am still totally torn on what package to get, there seems to be two main contenders, but I love to try new things so I am not sure.

18. Default

Quote Originally Posted by allo80 View Post

You have to be careful when playing with timing, but optimizing timing is where a lot of the power comes from.

The goal when setting up the spark advance is to achieve peak cylinder pressure at 15* after top dead center (TDC). That is also known as MBT (max best torque). You have to be careful because you don't want to go past MBT as this can cause some very high cylinder pressures which can result in head lift and broken rods. The other problem with setting up the proper timing is that as you are knock limited on certain fuels. MBT may be around 18-20*, but due to the octane rating of the fuel you are using, you may only be able to get to 14-15* of spark advance before you become knock limited, and detonation is another great way to get rid of those rods.

19. Default

Quote Originally Posted by EdgeAutosport.com View Post
    You have to be careful when playing with timing, but optimizing timing is where a lot of the power comes from.

The goal when setting up the spark advance is to achieve peak cylinder pressure at 15* after top dead center (TDC). That is also known as MBT (max best torque). You have to be careful because you don't want to go past MBT as this can cause some very high cylinder pressures which can result in head lift and broken rods. The other problem with setting up the proper timing is that as you are knock limited on certain fuels. MBT may be around 18-20*, but due to the octane rating of the fuel you are using, you may only be able to get to 14-15* of spark advance before you become knock limited, and detonation is another great way to get rid of those rods.
    Awesome, thanks very much!!!

20. Default

I got my Cobb AP late last year and was very excited.

First I ran stage 0 OTS. Found out that doesn't offer much and is just like stock so I went to Safe mode OTS - that unlocked a few things and gave me some ear to ear grins :-) Did a few WOT logs and monitored the fuel pump pressure to see if it holds. Since mine is a gen 1 MPS I am lucky to have a good fuel pump so I upped to Stage 1 OTS and still kept monitoring. All stock except for the 3 engine mounts.

Then I made a map after studying Bucker and Abilor's tuning guides and all their stickies and then also added MPG tuning in cruise range as well. I had a great time learning about the ECU and engine management. All fun and after 20 revisions of the map I think I got it all sorted.

I am pretty happy with the car now I just need to tune my driver mod to make good launches.
    Last edited by wyvernone; 25-04-2013 at 02:34 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast