User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: MPS6 rear diff switch

Quote Originally Posted by bd581 View Post
    One of the secret modifications made to the Fred Gibson Winfield GTRs was just like that
    there was a switch near the gear leaver that allowed you to select AWD RWD or FWD depending on what was needed.
    One of the little modifications that made it (but not all group a GTRs) so dominate world wide (they were not just banned in Australia, nismo wouldn't allow them to race in japan as Gibson would show them up)
    So the idea does work, and works well
    Hey Brad, I now work for the Managing Director for those successful FGibson cars!
    ___,...--'--..--...,,,
    [__--_;=-o-:iiiiiilll.===
    ``/ /-'|___|;;;;;;;;:

Fitted this today, yet to take for a test spin...

Sent from my iPhone

Guys does this really work ?? im from South Africa with a 6 MPS , not many in the country so im dying to give it a try as the AWD system chomps the power after pulloff !

Can this switch be used safely while hard driving ?

Feedback would be highly appreciated :-)

Hi this does really work, though when I had my MPS 6 I installed it to eliminate vibrations etc on long drives. @kmh001 installed this and found it interesting as a front wheel drive under hard driving - my advice is to proceed cautiously should you attempt any spirited driving in the MPS 6 with the rear drive turned off!

I dont know if anyone else has noticed, but i have been using my switch to ease the strain on my rear diff untill my diff mounts come. After coming to a stop, like at some traffic lights or whatever and move off again that i have to flip the switch off and then on again otherwise the diff come back on by itself. so if i leave the switch on the diff only stays disengaged as long as i am moving since i engaged it.

Interesting... I had it checked on the dyno and was told the rear wheels spun. Maybe depending on when they switched it effected the result?
    I've lit up the front wheels once and got major torque steer before so it does something. I actually forgot the switch was there!

7. Default

NECRO
    anyone got the long term impacts of this?

8. Default

Cant answer your question @Fever but i tried this and damm my 6 gets a alot if wheel spin in 2wd haha

9. Default

Have you done comparison logs to see if any power gains?

10. Default

No but my cobb should turn up this week so i could try and do this for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Fever View Post
    Have you done comparison logs to see if any power gains?
    At the engine, none...
    At the wheels, a little, as there would be less drive train loss...

Worth trading grip for power? Nope...
    Newbie FAQ My Build Thread
    From stock, to GT3071, to substantially less modded, many lessons learned!
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

12. Default

Quote Originally Posted by SarcasticOne View Post
    At the engine, none...
    At the wheels, a little, as there would be less drive train loss...

Worth trading grip for power? Nope...

I was thinking more along the lines of power gains=fuel consumption gains.

I mean if I'm spending 4 hours on a freeway at 110 extra grip=extra useless.....better fuel consumption would be useful.
    2005 6 MPS - Cobb AP - Auto tech HPFP internals - CorkSport RMM - 3inch ceramic coated downpipe - SRI - TIH - FMIC - Oil Catch Can - RayD tuned. 190kw@wheels, 410nm, 20psi.

In the early 80's Audi "proved" having all wheels driven was more economical. The major downside of AWD is 150kg or so of extra weight you always carry around.

14. Default

Quote Originally Posted by ozynigma View Post
    In the early 80's Audi "proved" having all wheels driven was more economical. The major downside of AWD is 150kg or so of extra weight you always carry around.
    Idk how that works. Seems obvious that more moving parts = more power loss.

Perhaps ill test it lol.
    2005 6 MPS - Cobb AP - Auto tech HPFP internals - CorkSport RMM - 3inch ceramic coated downpipe - SRI - TIH - FMIC - Oil Catch Can - RayD tuned. 190kw@wheels, 410nm, 20psi.

Idk how that works. Seems obvious that more moving parts = more power loss.

Perhaps ill test it lol.
    I did put the proved in quotes so take it with a grain of salt.

I think the theory was that a tyre being dragged/pushed had more rolling resistance than a tyre being driven.

Any gains in rolling resistance have to be offset against the other mechanical drag and weight penalty.
    CX7 - The younger, taller and sexier replacement for the MPS6 and the first car designed around the MZR DISI
    2007 CX7 2.3 DISI AWD Ice Blue | HID's | ETS TMIC | Cobb XLE BOV | CX9 20" wheels | 245/50/20 Scorpion STR's | CS HPFP | CX9 Brakes | Pedders Sports Ryders -40mm | CS Turbo | JBR 3.5" WPI | Cooling Mist WMI |Versatune

16. Default

I did put the proved in quotes so take it with a grain of salt.

I think the theory was that a tyre being dragged/pushed had more rolling resistance than a tyre being driven.

Any gains in rolling resistance have to be offset against the other mechanical drag and weight penalty.
    Seems legit, i can kinda imagine how that might work. But it would all depend where the awd ended I guess.

Seems legit, i can kinda imagine how that might work. But it would all depend where the awd ended I guess.
    So in summary running the MPS6 in FWD is unlikely to be more efficient. All the AWD hardware is still spinning and being carried along. The only thing different is the rear clutch is disengaged and all drive is going to the front wheels.
    CX7 - The younger, taller and sexier replacement for the MPS6 and the first car designed around the MZR DISI
    2007 CX7 2.3 DISI AWD Ice Blue | HID's | ETS TMIC | Cobb XLE BOV | CX9 20" wheels | 245/50/20 Scorpion STR's | CS HPFP | CX9 Brakes | Pedders Sports Ryders -40mm | CS Turbo | JBR 3.5" WPI | Cooling Mist WMI |Versatune

18. Default

So in summary running the MPS6 in FWD is unlikely to be more efficient. All the AWD hardware is still spinning and being carried along. The only thing different is the rear clutch is disengaged and all drive is going to the front wheels.
    Yeah true.
    still makes sense.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123