User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: MPS6 rear diff switch

Ottmar posted on one of the US forums that he and another German guy got a new gearbox and transfer case which resolved the vibration issue.

Luckily for them they went to Mazda in Germany and said look the Aussies have tried the diff coupling, diff mount, tailshaft and wheels. The only thing left in the drive train to try is the gearbox. Worked first go.

Quote Originally Posted by kmh001 View Post
    Ottmar posted on one of the US forums that he and another German guy got a new gearbox and transfer case which resolved the vibration issue.

Luckily for them they went to Mazda in Germany and said look the Aussies have tried the diff coupling, diff mount, tailshaft and wheels. The only thing left in the drive train to try is the gearbox. Worked first go.
    Your kidding me right?!? Wow... thanks for that

CAnt wait till Friday... i think taking it to Mazda is going to be a waste of time for me.

THANKS MATE

Current: 2002 Nissan S15 200SX SPEC R
    Previously: 2006 Mazda 6 MPS ,MY00 WRX CLUB SPEC EVO IV Hatch ,97' Nissan S14A 200sx, Nissan R34 GT-T, Nissan S12 Silvia

Great mod. I tested my 6mps today and discovered it was the rear diff making that annoying noise at 75-80kph. Can't decide if it annoys me enough to do the mod.

Awesome work on discovering that the handbrake switch was the trigger to disengage awd.

I will do the mod after the new car warranty ends.

Will fuel consumption improves though?

I've been using my MPS3 switch significantly over the last week or so as my diff bracket is cracked (get's replaced Thursday under Warranty) and haven't really noticed any difference in consumption (though is probably slightly down but I've been driving like a nanna!)

Mine is still under warranty and there have been no questions about it's existence. Biggest benefit to me came from highway driving without the vibrations and diff whine!

The only down side to the MPS3 switch is that I keep forgetting to turn the rear wheels back on when I get off the hwy. Then I look like a hoon trying to fry my front tyres.

I did this mod this morning, I'm so excited by the results!!!

I used a red toggle switch thats short and wide that looks good and wont break while im in the heat of the moment, it's also very quick to switch.

This mod free's up Kw's for sure, I found best results to switch it after you change in to second while accelerating through the gear to third. Instant extra power!!!

If your not sure about doing the mod try a test to see if you like the results....

In a safe area accelerate hard in second gear, when the revs reach about 3-4k slightly lift the hand break about 1cm just enough fro the HB light to come on and keep accelerating and feel the difference.....

Enjoy

8. Default

Hey guys, I just installed this switch yesterday but I can't feel a significant difference. Also I'm not able to spin the front tires. Is that the case for you guys?? The switch seems to be working, the e-brake light comes on and everything. One thing I noticed is that the e-brake light is dimmer than when the handbrake is applied though. Any thoughts?

That's puzzling. Maybe you don't have a good ground or splice, or maybe the switch has too much resistance?

10. Default

It may be the ground. I ended up grounding it against the metal of the e-brake handle, but the bracket that's laying flat may be better. I actually have the same exact switch as in your picture on page 1, so I don't think it's that.

What about the tire spinning? I realize while rolling I probably won't feel that much of a difference, but is everyone able to break their front tires loose with this switch on?
    Last edited by speedsicks; 04-11-2009 at 08:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by speedsicks View Post
    Hey guys, I just installed this switch yesterday but I can't feel a significant difference. Also I'm not able to spin the front tires. Is that the case for you guys?? The switch seems to be working, the e-brake light comes on and everything. One thing I noticed is that the e-brake light is dimmer than when the handbrake is applied though. Any thoughts?
    Hi speedsicks, I had this same problem when I first installed mine with the 3-pole switch. What I did wrong was I connected the wires incorrectly to the switch (I can't remember which way it was now, but one of the poles is for the power for switch light the other is for the handbrake sensor and one is negative) I connected the handbrake sensor to the power one and it didn't work and only lit the handbrake warning light dimly, swapped it over and it works fine. I haven't lit up my front wheels though have encountered enough slip for the TC light to go beserk!
    Cheers
    Chris
    R36 - Just like an MPS6 except with a growly V6

12. Default

[/COLOR]
    Quote Originally Posted by shakespeare View Post
    Hi speedsicks, I had this same problem when I first installed mine with the 3-pole switch. What I did wrong was I connected the wires incorrectly to the switch (I can't remember which way it was now, but one of the poles is for the power for switch light the other is for the handbrake sensor and one is negative) I connected the handbrake sensor to the power one and it didn't work and only lit the handbrake warning light dimly, swapped it over and it works fine. I haven't lit up my front wheels though have encountered enough slip for the TC light to go beserk!
    Cheers
    Chris
    Thanks brotha that was exactly it. Lights the e-brake light up perfectly now. Sucks, I kinda liked that red light on the switch, any way to have that light up and still have it work right?

Quote Originally Posted by speedsicks View Post
    [/COLOR]

Thanks brotha that was exactly it. Lights the e-brake light up perfectly now. Sucks, I kinda liked that red light on the switch, any way to have that light up and still have it work right?
    You're right it did look cool when the red light was on

It should be a simple matter of connecting the power to an existing power source of similar amps that turns on with the key so it's not on all the time, I haven't done this yet though, will get there one day though.
    R36 - Just like an MPS6 except with a growly V6

is the vibration and whine of the rear diff a common problem with the 6 MPS?

I get a slight whine and occasional tremble at around 100kmh. It doesn't bother me much, even though normally I am averse to the slightest rattle. The thing is, I've been driving so many classic earlier performance cars with spur-cut gears and massive truck-like gearboxes that the occasional clanks, rumbles and vibrations, especially those that come with huge performance such as in the old 4.7 litre Ghibli and Maserati 5000 which even at idle shook around and sounded like feeding time at the zoo, that I actually don't mind them. I love the various sounds and sensations that come on under power, and shut off suddenly at each shift only to come on with a surge in the next gear, and feel we have become a bit insulated from them now. In fact this is why I like the MPS 6 as it feels more like some of those cars than many others I have driven, especially now it has been "tweaked".

On examining the MPS6 drive-train, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to discover that a lot of the vibration comes from the centre-bearing in the drive shaft. It was a bloody curse in my V12 Sovereign that took me many attempts to get right, even knowing the source from the start. The Sovereign was otherwise so smooth that any tremble was readily evident.

---------- Post added at 02:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:05 PM ----------

If you're getting real busy in the cockpit, you could mount the switch on your shift lever...I used such a setup on my old Landrover to control the 3 vacuum operated diff locks.

You could even have a red flip cover on it and label the positions as "guns" and "rockets" to intrigue your passengers... ;o)
    CP_e Standback & PNP; CP_e 3" SS Downpipe; Corksport FMIC with Top-mount K&N filter & OEM Ram CAI; Turbosmart BOV; Dashhawk; Prosport Boost Guage; JBR solid shift bushes; DBA 4000 Wiper-Slot front rotors; Hawk Ferro-Carbon HPS Street front brake pads (@ 69,000km); Sumitomo HTRZIII's in 225/45 x 18

Quote Originally Posted by Doug_MPS6 View Post

If you're getting real busy in the cockpit, you could mount the switch on your shift lever...I used such a setup on my old Landrover to control the 3 vacuum operated diff locks.

I have thought about something like that. It would almost be like a KERS system on an F1 car where you could have a button on the steering wheel and when you're between corners at the race track you could hold the button to turn off the diff and get a nice 15kw boost. Perhaps I could rig it up to the mute button on the steering wheel.

Gone to Volvo

Quote Originally Posted by kmh001 View Post
    I have thought about something like that. It would almost be like a KERS system on an F1 car where you could have a button on the steering wheel and when you're between corners at the race track you could hold the button to turn off the diff and get a nice 15kw boost. Perhaps I could rig it up to the mute button on the steering wheel.
    Plus NOS button
    MY16 WRX STi Crystal White Pearl
    -= Rally Armour Flaps - 2XS Muffler Delete =-

FG FPV F6 MKII Vixen - SOLD
    -= Bluepower SRI - ID1000 Injectors - Venom Cat - XCAL3 - ProcessWest Stg2 Intercooler - 359 RWKW=-

CX9 Grand Touring Stormy Blue
    -= The rolling armchair =-

6 MPS Velocity Red - SOLD
    -=Cat Back Exhaust - Pirelli PZero=-

3 MPS Aurora Blue - SOLD
    -=PG SRI - PG Inlet - ETS TMIC - GFB Hybrid BOV - Best Mufflers DP - Eibach Pro - AccessPort STG2 - Autotech HPFP - ITV22 - Michelin PSS=-

Or you could try one of these - Mad Max Pursuit Special

One of the secret modifications made to the Fred Gibson Winfield GTRs was just like that
    there was a switch near the gear leaver that allowed you to select AWD RWD or FWD depending on what was needed.
    One of the little modifications that made it (but not all group a GTRs) so dominate world wide (they were not just banned in Australia, nismo wouldn't allow them to race in japan as Gibson would show them up)
    So the idea does work, and works well

I was trying this out today, was so surprised that the 6 actually has this function. Was pulling in 2nd gear and lifting hand brake up just so the light comes on. Front wheels start spinning out hard haha, it is quite fun without the DSC on. Wish it was for disengaging the front wheels though :P

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast