User Tag List

Thread: Cold Start problems

Default Cold Start problems

hey guys, as most have you have probably read, i've installed a CorkSport FMIC to my MPS 6, everything's on and connected properly, but over the last week or so it's having problems starting up on a cold engine, it starts, revs to 2,000 RPM (like usual) then a few seconds later it slowly dies and cuts off, i've found pumping the accelerator pedal a couple of times (not flooring it to rev the crap out of it, just tapping it) gets it going steady again at 2,000 RPM so it can warm up and from there it's as if nothing is wrong at all, i have no CELs or anything, i can't hear anything wrong and the engine starts up like normal if the engine is warm, i'm thinking it might be fuel pump related, but i'm not mechanic so thought i might ask here first and see if anyone might have a better idea of what's wrong

thanks
    Last edited by Baz; 23-08-2012 at 02:15 PM.

Check the Bypass Valve again to see if there are any leaks, it happened to mine when the pipe of the BPV hose blew off

i'll try that, thanks, another member has suggested that the engine could be getting more air than it's used to and could be adapting to that, it hasn't always had this problem since the install of the FMIC, only the last few days, it didn't die on start up an hour ago when it was cold, so, we'll see how it all goes

Default Cold Start problems

Always look to the last thing you did to the car before the symptom displayed. I doubt it will be fuel pump.

My money will be on vacc leak. Check your connections and then re check them - air can fit through mighty small gaps!

that would be the air filter or the throttle body hose still being slightly not so air tight... i'll check all those things and see what happens... won't be able to test a cold start for a couple of hours now though cause i just went out, lol

Sounds like a leak somewhere. I have the same FMIC and it hunted around on first start and I had a couple of spluttery re-starts like yours but then it almost immediately figured it was getting its air via a different pathway and settled in happily. I'll be interested to hear your reports of its performance and any stumbles on moderate acceleration and suddenly backing off the throttle or up-shifting.
    Cheers

mine was like that too, first start up was shitty, but once it was going after a couple of revs it was fine and started up fine, it wasn't until a few days ago it started doing what it's doing now, it's only been on the car a week or so now, i've tightened that hose clamp properly (it's a very badly shaped pipe end, bell shaped, hard to clamp well) and i found the smaller port on the BPV was finger loose today, so i've tightened that up, all i can do is wait until the engine's cold again and see how it goes... it's raining and hailing now and cause i don't have a garage, just a verandah that's not overly weather proof from side winds and stuff, i can't do much else today, lol

i went out to get maccas and the start up was cold, it seems to be much better, it did drop in revs, but it didn't shut off this time and picked itself back up... must have been the BPV, it's a Tial and one of the ports on it screws into the top, tightening that seems to have fixed things, i guess i'll give it a day or two and see
    Last edited by Baz; 23-08-2012 at 09:49 PM.

BAZ, I think I have found what may be your problem. That "bell-end" you refer to must be the one on the TB inlet pipe - see attached picture item 5 at the bottom of the pic. It will not hold pressure. Whoever designed that had little idea of that basic mechanical principle and should have been taken out and shot, poisoned, stabbed, hanged and gassed.

I saw that straight off, even before assembly, so I sent the TB inlet pipe off to a mate's workshop to have that taper cut off and a new 1" (if I recall correctly) wide ring TIG welded on that is the same diameter as the pipe itself, then bought a new stepped silicone connector to handle the step-down in size between the TB and the TB inlet pipe. You'll get the idea.

Also, make sure you rotate that pipe sufficiently so that it clears your gearshift counterweight on the shift mechanism on the top of the box, or else it will jam against the pipe in the forward positions. The pipe is bent so rotating it will move the fouling part away from the shift weight.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CIMG7342.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	254.0 KB 
ID:	12100  
    CP_e Standback & PNP; CP_e 3" SS Downpipe; Corksport FMIC with Top-mount K&N filter & OEM Ram CAI; Turbosmart BOV; Dashhawk; Prosport Boost Guage; JBR solid shift bushes; DBA 4000 Wiper-Slot front rotors; Hawk Ferro-Carbon HPS Street front brake pads (@ 69,000km); Sumitomo HTRZIII's in 225/45 x 18

i think i've solved the problem, i don't think that TB pipe is sealing properly, but since tightening the thing on top of the BPV, it's working much better, i'll look into having that pipe modified, but for now it's ok, i'm pretty sure i'm ok with it's position too, it's not hitting anything as far as i know and i'm not having problems changing gears, but i'll double check to make sure, thanks for the advice

Baz, I'm not sure what "thing on top of the BPV" is that you have tried to or succeeded in tightening, or what sort of BPV / BOV you have, but I assume it to be the vacuum line connector.

Sometimes these are designed to be a swivel assembly so you can rotate the cap and yet not disturb the orientation of the vac line, such as with the Turbosmart BOV.

Just a thought to assist...

haha, what you described sounds about right, i have a Tial QR BPV, sorry, i forget all the technical names of things sometimes, but yes, it swivels and rotates so you can set it to what ever position you like, i think my little brother loosened it for some reason during the install and only finger tightened it and forgot to tighten it properly, it's definitely running much better now and no dying on cold starts