User Tag List

Thread: Mazda 6 MPS ECU location

Default Mazda 6 MPS ECU location

Morning guys
    Does anyone knows where the ECU on the MPS 6 is?
    Is it under the dash behind the console like the 323 models?
    Cheers

Next to your battery
    **Derp - this is for a three, not a six. Cant say ive looked.

Default Re: Mazda 6 MPS ECU location

Google says it's under the carpet in passenger foot well...

http://www.mpsowners.co.uk/viewtopic...77&start=0

Tamper proof plate with sheer bolts that you'll either need to drill out, or get a hammer + punch

What you installing?

The ECU for the Mazda MPS6 is under the left hand front passenger's footwell. To access it, it is best to gently lift the door sill plastic so you can ease the carpet back to give you working room, then undo the other plastic carpet clips well forward on the front edge of the carpet and ease it back, peeling it back from the botom LH lip of the cosnole. This will expose a false metal footplate/floor that is held down by 5 (?) 10mm nuts. These are on captive studs welded to the floor but the nuts themselves undo with no problem. The ECU sits is a clean silver metal carrier cage that is retained by 10mm nuts.

I attach three photos, one with the protective foot-plate in place and thus hiding the ECU, one of the plate by itself, removed and one of the ECU and the small black ABS control box. This has been removed from its retainer clip in the photo. If you remove this for some reason it must be restored to its original position and orientation to do its job properly. Hope these help. Cheers.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3594426818_b3285c3920.jpg 
Views:	11820 
Size:	105.8 KB 
ID:	12077   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CIMG7265.jpg 
Views:	3375 
Size:	157.6 KB 
ID:	12078   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3593615139_930c15090a.jpg 
Views:	18344 
Size:	124.6 KB 
ID:	12079  
    CP_e Standback & PNP; CP_e 3" SS Downpipe; Corksport FMIC with Top-mount K&N filter & OEM Ram CAI; Turbosmart BOV; Dashhawk; Prosport Boost Guage; JBR solid shift bushes; DBA 4000 Wiper-Slot front rotors; Hawk Ferro-Carbon HPS Street front brake pads (@ 69,000km); Sumitomo HTRZIII's in 225/45 x 18

Thanks guys...Doug do I have to remove the glove box as well?
    Sarcastic I am not going to install anything. I am going overseas and I found a workshop and he will flash my ECU with 400 euros...Its a bargain compared to the 2k that they ask here!

Default Mazda 6 MPS ECU location

Quote Originally Posted by jnin View Post
    Sarcastic I am not going to install anything. I am going overseas and I found a workshop and he will flash my ECU with 400 euros...Its a bargain compared to the 2k that they ask here!
    Not worth it bud.
    Get the Cobb accessport it will flash your ECU from the OBDII port in the car and can unlock features like flat foot shifting and launch control

Can be found for around $550 in the states or $700 ish from MPSgarage

other option is versatuner... can custom tune your ECU

And how is he going to tune it without your car?? If its a generic tune then get a Hypertech... its the same price, it will work, its reversible and you wont risk losing your ECU on a flight.
    MY16 WRX STi Crystal White Pearl
    -= Rally Armour Flaps - 2XS Muffler Delete =-

FG FPV F6 MKII Vixen - SOLD
    -= Bluepower SRI - ID1000 Injectors - Venom Cat - XCAL3 - ProcessWest Stg2 Intercooler - 359 RWKW=-

CX9 Grand Touring Stormy Blue
    -= The rolling armchair =-

6 MPS Velocity Red - SOLD
    -=Cat Back Exhaust - Pirelli PZero=-

3 MPS Aurora Blue - SOLD
    -=PG SRI - PG Inlet - ETS TMIC - GFB Hybrid BOV - Best Mufflers DP - Eibach Pro - AccessPort STG2 - Autotech HPFP - ITV22 - Michelin PSS=-

I had the hypertech but I want something more powerful.
    I thought the Cobb one was like hypertech. Is it better?
    Sarcastic how much is this versatuner tune cost?
    Jmac I think he will custom tune it somehow. He told me that these ECU's are not difficult to tune them. I ve heard from a Mazda mechanic there that a few years ago they were sending them to Germany to tune them
    Last edited by jnin; 22-08-2012 at 04:32 PM.

Morning guys
    Does anyone knows where the ECU on the MPS 6 is?
    Is it under the dash behind the console like the 323 models?
    Cheers

its under a kick panel on the passenger side lift up the carpet and 4 10mm bolts i think from memory and the 4WD control module is there to, the SRS control module is the one behind the centre console

- - - Updated - - -

versatuner is $549 + shipping incl special hi speed cable
    05 VR 6 MPS LUXURY - WHATS STOCK????
    Winner of Most modified @ Smokeys car meet
    UP an coming events: Winton Track day 17th December

Remember pay by the 16th of November and get free lunch and drinks on day
    Next install: New Head, ARP Studs, Upgraded VVT, BSD, Mazdaspeed Coil Cover, Injector seals + studs

Price on versatuner looks very attractive...

JNIN, no you don't have to remove the glove-box. But it comes out in mere seconds anyway and helps shine a bit of light down there if you are doing extensive work.

I had mine out as I was passing cables up the back from my PNP unit hooked into the ECU, up to the Standback unit which I have tucked up behind the glovebox, with the computer linkup cable being kept in the glove-box.

If you are flashing the ECU, it will be done via the OBD port under the steering column, and not from the ECU. You have to be real careful about pulling the ECU wiring plugs out and more-so reinstalling them in the ECU, as they are delicate little fittings with fragile pins. You don't want to break one!!
    CP_e Standback & PNP; CP_e 3" SS Downpipe; Corksport FMIC with Top-mount K&N filter & OEM Ram CAI; Turbosmart BOV; Dashhawk; Prosport Boost Guage; JBR solid shift bushes; DBA 4000 Wiper-Slot front rotors; Hawk Ferro-Carbon HPS Street front brake pads (@ 69,000km); Sumitomo HTRZIII's in 225/45 x 18

AXSPEED - ref your "its under a kick panel on the passenger side lift up the carpet and 4 10mm bolts..." - see my note a few posts before yours, you must have missed it. I've done that a few times too. Chs.

Thanks guys
    Looks like I need to do a little bit more research on the Cobb and versa tuner...