User Tag List

Thread: Mazda 6 Counter Balancer issues

1. Exclamation Mazda 6 Counter Balancer issues

Hi all

Im currently in the process of building a new motor for my 1977 mazda 808 sedan. I currently have a mazda MX-5 2.0L turbo motor and have become a little bored with its performance. The motor i am currently building is a 2.3L turbo with forged internals etc. I have pretty much finished re-assembling the motor but have hit a bit of a road block with the crank shaft counter balancer, which is stopping me from bolting the sump back on and putting the engine in.

Does anyone know how to align the counter balancer with the crank. There is two small holes on the front of the balancer shafts which line up but im not sure where/how to lock them up to align them to the crank.

I would have taken note of their position when i pulled the motor down but i was originally going to ditch the counter balancers, fortunatly i have had the chance to go for a drive in a car with the counter balancer removed and although it holds more oil capacity (not much) and weighs that little bit less there was quiet a bit of vibration feeding back through the engine so i now want to put the balancer back in.

If you can fill me in with any info it will be much appreciated. (I have and am currently reading the manuals but not finding much help)

Default Mazda 6 Counter Balancer issues

I don't know much about the topic but I have spoken to Aaron from
    MPSG and Jim from TuneHouse and both have explained that this alignment process requires a special tool that comes from Mazda ... And Aaron also said he made his own. Apparently there's been a lot of ZZB that has occurred from misaligned crank shafts, so be sure to get it rite!

3. Default

again its not the crank that is the issue i know how to get that and the cams right what i am having problems with is the counter balancer.

yes there is a special tool for the crank and cams and i have made these myself aswell i just havent worked out the balancer

Default Mazda 6 Counter Balancer issues

Damn man, good luck with it!
    And if you work it out please share .

If it helps and you can wait till saturday I have bottem end at home, will rip sump off and take some pics and notes for you.

@westwood589 I am getting the file for the assembly notes for the balancer shaft uploaded tomorrow into the forum.

With luck @Jmac will remember to tag you lol.

I can see how you had trouble, it truly was a bastard to find this information.
    Last edited by RadiantKnackers; 21-08-2012 at 10:37 PM.

@westwood589

The balance assembly section is now available here http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/vip-s...pecsheets.html

See the last addition in the manuals and it is there.