User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Front or Top mount intercooler?

Default Front or Top mount intercooler?

Hi guys, I am looking at doing the intercooler on the MPS6 besides the extra $ for the front mount are there any other factors that people know about? is there Lag or issues with the extra length of piping?

(if there is a thread on this please point me in the right direction)

Any info on how it works with Cold air intake piping would also be appreciated, any issues people had with brands or kits would also be helpful.

Thanks
    Tim

Coming from a WRX backgound: the FMIC vs TMIC has been a war waged over decades.

My opinion. Stock Motors + TMIC make for better options. Only Built Motors + Big Turbo can take advantage of the FMIC without encountering the extra lag.
    Maybe the 2.3L Mazda Motors can benefit, but lower power with better response is more fun in a street car.

There are a few WRX guys in Perth who went TMIC > FMIC >TMIC.
    The results, their laps time fell when going from a FMIC (290WHP set-up) to a TMIC (270WHP set-up) all because of the extra "area under the curve". All that extra torque out a corners made a big difference on staright line speed also.

(EG: WRX 2.0L with a FMIC gets 400-500RPM of extra lag/ lost throttle response on a TD05-18G turbo)

***Just my opinion, I am sure that other differ
    Last edited by DAN MPS 3; 20-08-2012 at 07:01 PM.

I'm sure when you searched you had a huge amount of hits :P
    @naasif did a TMIC recently. @Baz did a FMIC recently.

Both pretty happy. As Dan said (Welcome by the way ) huge discussions can be had.

Quote Originally Posted by Yeldarb View Post
    I'm sure when you searched you had a huge amount of hits :P
    @naasif did a TMIC recently. @Baz did a FMIC recently.

Both pretty happy. As Dan said (Welcome by the way ) huge discussions can be had.
    PERTH-WRX has hundreds of the stupid TMIC vs FMIC threads... it just is so frustrating trolling through them.
    But SEARCH is your friend, and Driveway/vehicle build threads are the best source of accurate info.

I just installed a FMIC in my Gen 2,
    I am 100% happy i spent the extra $$$ on it.
    My core is pretty big and i can honestly say i have NO extra lag over the stock TMIC.

FMIC is teh best, cause the girls love the look of a FMIC /my logic

Quote Originally Posted by Fizzy View Post
    FMIC is teh best, cause the girls love the look of a FMIC /my logic
    Ladies love:

-BOV Flutter
    -EXTERNAL wastegates killing the atmosphere
    -BIG FMIC
    -Handbrake turns
    -ETC...

All proven by science ***May or May-not have been proved by science***

Quote Originally Posted by Cton View Post
    I just installed a FMIC in my Gen 2,
    I am 100% happy i spent the extra $$$ on it.
    My core is pretty big and i can honestly say i have NO extra lag over the stock TMIC.

The Boxer 2.0L you could notice. But maybe the extra displacment of the Mazda's helps keep the difference to a minimum.

***Also had a thought. Mazda headers are not nearly as long as a WRX. This is the probs with the Boxer, the headers are lag generators themselves, they are that long!

I can't complain with my TMIC from CorkSport.

It's stealthy and sits nicely under the existing Gen2 shroud, although I must admit the FMIC does look "meaner".
    @Fizzy , the girls may love the look of the FMIC, but I think my wife may have something to say about that
    Trying to keep it subtle ... | COBB AccessPort | COBB DP | CP-e HPFP | CorkSport TMIC | TurboSmart BPV | Denso ITV22| CorkSport Boost Tubes | SURE Full3 Aeros | SURE REM (Street) | SURE AGS SS Shift Knob | 2XS SSP + SURE CounterShift | Speedline Front Strut Brace | Whiteline RSB | Prima Paint Protection

Quote Originally Posted by DAN MPS 3 View Post
    Ladies love:

-BOV Flutter
    -EXTERNAL wastegates killing the atmosphere
    -BIG FMIC
    -Handbrake turns
    -ETC...

All proven by science ***May or May-not have been proved by science***
    why am i still single then?
    i got epic turbo whistle and BPV noise...
    Newbie FAQ My Build Thread
    From stock, to GT3071, to substantially less modded, many lessons learned!
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

Quote Originally Posted by SarcasticOne View Post
    How are your handbrake turns?

Common fact: the handbrake turn is like the mating call of men. Women cannot resist a well executed handbrake turn.
    The sweeping slide around corners lures them in close enough to get that ear-gasm that is turbo whistle!

Quote Originally Posted by SarcasticOne View Post
    You car needs a driver mod
    CES "SS" TBE | SURE "Aeros" SRI | SURE "Sidewinder" TIP | SURE "Return" Recirc Hose | CUSTOM "PWR Core" FMIC | Hypertech "Tuned" | Turbosmart "Atmo" BOV | MSD DashHawk | CP-e REM | SURE "Anchors" Shifter Bushings | JBR SSP and Weight | JBR Heavy Knob |Redline Hood Quick LIFT ELITE | TEIN "SS" Coilovers | Front - Rear HOTCHKIS Swaybars | Front - Rear DBA 4000 Slotted Rotors | A1RM Brake Pads | 18x8 +45 Tenzo-R Cuzco Black V1 | 235/40/18 Michelin Pilot Super Sport | Safe n' Sound baby Seat lol

Thanks guys for the input, decided on the top mount. just looking at brands now, the piping was my big issue with the NSW regulations regarding air boxes. I have a SRI and a air box for it which I didn't want to cut up to make room for piping which appears to be the way. The TMIC seems to be such an easier install too.

I am looking hard at the CP-E top mount or the cork sport one. CP-E wins on price at the moment.

Top mount is much easier. Just a bolt on job and takes little time. FMIC is more hassle, you'll have to tweak-to-to-fit, might loose water supply (hoses) to the HID squirters as they might be in the way. Just another point after recently having hassles for getting a defect sticker on my car (long and stupid story) a TMIC is easier to sell that it's stock, just say the cover plate has been modified. Unless it has "Hypertech" or similar written across the top lol.

I can vouch for the Cpe tmic, cheap and does the job. I still think I'll go fmic for summer though, not sure yet.. They are a bit if a bitch to fit though.

Quote Originally Posted by rogwick View Post
    Top mount is much easier. Just a bolt on job and takes little time. FMIC is more hassle, you'll have to tweak-to-to-fit, might loose water supply (hoses) to the HID squirters as they might be in the way. Just another point after recently having hassles for getting a defect sticker on my car (long and stupid story) a TMIC is easier to sell that it's stock, just say the cover plate has been modified. Unless it has "Hypertech" or similar written across the top lol.
    Bummer about the defect sticker hope you get that sorted out. I enjoy the install process (as long as its once and not a repeat thing due to issues), but the TMIC just seems simple and easy to do and undo if i need to, verses the cutting that can be involved with a FMIC.

Quote Originally Posted by dazza View Post
    I can vouch for the Cpe tmic, cheap and does the job. I still think I'll go fmic for summer though, not sure yet.. They are a bit if a bitch to fit though.
    Nothing beats the FMIC look If i was going for a bigger turbo system then I would lean that way but I honestly don't think I have the cash to go for the supporting tune that would go with that level of mod. so TMIC wins for me. shoot us some pics when (or if) you do the FMIC though, they look tough!
    __________________________________________________ ________________________________________________
    CorkSport SRI-TIP ][ KingSprings ][ CP-E TMIC][ Cobb AP (stage 1 tune) ][ Prosport Boost gage ][ Apexi RSM, ][corksport top front strut brace ][ corksport top rear strut brace ][ corksport short shift plate ][ Autotech HPFP internals ][ CS LED light kit ][ CS rear engine mount][CSDP ][ GFB BOV ][DBA front disks]

I've got a Corksport sitting on the floor thats going to be installed this weekend. I'm hoping to get some IAT/BAT temps before and after for comparisons.

If you are sticking to stock turbo, I assume an aftermarket tmic is all that required (pending results of temps). Then later, I am going to make a shield to put between the cooler and engine as was discussed in another thread here on the forums to see if it makes any difference.

Quote Originally Posted by TimmyMPS View Post
    Nothing beats the FMIC look
    Hells yeah! Polished mine today ;-)

Sent from my iPhone

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1347601666.066399.jpg 
Views:	729 
Size:	68.7 KB 
ID:	12300

Sent from my iPhone

I went the TMIC version of your CPe. Neat install BTW!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast