User Tag List

Thread: Engine Coolant

1. Default Engine Coolant

I noticed yesterday my coolant overflow has absolutely nothing in it. I know Mazda added a whole litre of cooland in when they replaced my turbo just over a week ago. Do you guys think its a big problem that the overflow reservoir is bone dry.

I have taken the car out yesterday and today quite spirited driving pushing the girl fairly hard and tomorrow being a public holiday do u think I should get some coolant and put some in before taking to Mazda on tuesday about it? Have I hurt the car by pushing it and it being low on coolant

Do you think I could havea leak somewhere, maybe they didnt tighten a hose or something?

What coolant do u actually put in the MPS ? Ive been searching net a bit today and havent found much except its bad to mix coolant types ... surely Mazda would have left it topped up wouldnt they, how could it disappear?
    Last edited by blackbetty; 26-04-2009 at 05:59 PM.
    Taken my boring, bland, lame Subaru and my fat ass and driven off into the sunset with a smile on my face

i am due for 30,000 service and right on that mark i noticed the temp needle slightly higher then normal.. only s smidgen and also a lot of heat coming from foot well... could feel heat on my leg and foot... upon looking the coolant overflow was empty... i have put some water in it to get me by... seems to be staying up now ??

I would deff get it checked out... beyond there u have no idea how much coolant is in system... could cook your engine !!???

I didn't think about it yesterday but I probably should have plugged my Dashhawk into your car to see how high the temp was getting.

I've noticed that the ECT can go from 84 to 115 degrees and there's no change reflected in the temp gauge.

Hey Mel, coolant type is FL22, found this link which may be helpful

FL-22 Engine Coolant - Mazda CX-7 Forums

Apparently you're not supposed to add water to the coolant (I've added distilled water in past vehicles when I was in a fix and coolant was low) but not sure about the FL22 stuff? Keep and eye on your temp and if it rises above normal then you should probably stop. Hope it's nothing bad.

I've noticed with my DH that temp goes up to around 98 degrees when idling for long periods but the guage stays the same, normal temp is around 84 degrees for mine.
    R36 - Just like an MPS6 except with a growly V6

Blog Entries

My Maz 3 is the same, ranges from 80s to high 90s and the occasional 100+ on super hot days sitting in traffic.

6. Default

Yeh rang and spoke to mazda customer service, they said I just cant put normal coolant in, have to get some from Mazda. Roadside said to add water in, but Im not sure about that, checked radiator and seems to be coolant sitting up to the top, just overflow is bone dry.

Will give my service area a ring in the morning to see if they want me to add water then drive it in there.

Looks like Im doing running around chores in the MX5 today, heres hoping I dont gutter rash the shiny new enkeis
    Taken my boring, bland, lame Subaru and my fat ass and driven off into the sunset with a smile on my face

7. Default

Had my car at mazda today. Coolant dissapeared because I had air trapped in my radiator and when my car got to optimum operating temp, the air expanded pushing all the coolant out through overflow pipe while I was driving.

Air has been drained out now and coolant all topped up again and Im once again a very happy camper esp with this awesome cold weather.

my car totally launched out of the driveway at mazda this afternoon and my traction control light even came on as I went flying out of the driveway ... cracked me up

Quote Originally Posted by blackbetty View Post

my car totally launched out of the driveway at mazda this afternoon and my traction control light even came on as I went flying out of the driveway ... cracked me up
    Yeah I say the same the thing when I power launch, "the car did it..."

Glad to hear all is back to normal
    R36 - Just like an MPS6 except with a growly V6

Hopefully the coolant system just 'burped' after they had cracked into it to change your water cooled turbo.

If it keeps dropping, and there are no puddles, and your oil is not looking like mr bubbles, id say your up for another turbo. The water (rear) seal on these things are a joke. Maybe (hopefully not) you got lemon straight from the factory.

Lets just hope it was a burp (ie air trapped in the coolant system, displacing the coolant)

Doc

10. Default

Well Car is in at Mazda again with the mysterious missing coolant ... hardly any driving since the last one only to/from work and its all disapeared again witht he only sign of it collant splatters around the engine bay . Am currently driving a red old style 2 in an auto ..... zoom zoom

11. Default

Well they found my problem there is a crack in one of the pipes leading from the radiator, finally hopefully its getting fixed and no more disappearing coolant and get the real car back ... man i miss it only after two days

fine to see an outcome

seem odd for this to hapen only just after they had the car for the turbo change

Doc

had similar issue... turned out Water Pump was broken.. which may have lead to level dropping !!?? just picked up at service