User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Modifying Stock Exhaust

Default Modifying Stock Exhaust

Ok... So there is always a bit of chit chat here and there about modifying the stock mps exhaust in between people asking about full after market systems.

SO

Thought we could make a dedicated thread for it. NOW we all know that changing to CPE... or Corksport .. or what ever brand you choose is the best for "true" performance... but lets just try and focus on just tinkering with the stock system provided... for us.... less funded folk... ha

Right so from what i have read in the past removing both of the cats in the dump pipe and replacing it for a high flow cat is your first step.... then people have removed various mufflers and or added them e.t.c. after that.

My question first up is when removing the cats in the dump.. which one is replaced with the high flow unit ?? and also does the dump need to be removed to do this making it a hard task because of the O2 Sensor and such..??

Also what muffler modifications can be done to add a little more... zing .. or note... to your mps ??

My main 2 worries are.......
    CEL
    and ricer ting ting ting ting .... (5" system on a lancer).... ting ting ting sound

ha

Would love to hear from people that have done any mods like this... or i know here are plenty in the know.

Sure this will help a few people out there who would like to know. Including myself...

And remember this thread is for people that may not be able to afford .. or be aloud...cough.... and want a discreet non bank denting modification. HAHA

BLACK 06 MPS3 - HKS SRi/K&N - SU REM - TWM STS & Bushings - Custom MP

I've deleted the first of the two mufflers and replaced it with a straight piece of pipe. Didn't seem to make too much difference to performance...but it sounds nice.

First cat between the primary and secondary O2 sensors is replaced with the hi-flow and the second cat is removed. The CEL is generated by the lack of difference detected by the two O2 sensors when you run catless.

As stated by Pulse_Mps, there's not much point doing anything post dumppipe. Catbacks in general do no make too much of a performance difference especially when you consider cost vs gains. It's mostly for sound.

cool.. it should cost to much to remove them and put a hi flow cat in hey !!

One of the big costs is fitting, figure on about 6hrs labour to remove the system and dump. Unless you are prepared to spend the money on a "true" dump, it isn't really worth the effort just to try to gain a small amount of power. Its all about "Air in" and "Air out". The least amount of restriction you have the better.

Personally. I have driven my car with just the cats (no exhaust at all) and its loud, so,

If you want noise, just change the 2 mufflers to a single quality straight through type muffler,
    If you want power, remove the cats and replace with a higher flowing unit.

Just make sure you have the 2nd O2 sensor after the cat (hence the CEL) I've seen X-Force systems throwing CELs because of this reason.
    Achievements
    2009 Jamboree Street Compact Winner
    Aust. Quickest and Fastest MPS
    12.3 seconds @ 111Mph.
    Proven over the Qtr mile

Another Mazda 3 MPS - Almost fully bolted - Waiting for a turbo upgrade - The weekend hack.
    Toyota Yaris - Coilovers, rollcage, raceseats, harnesses, 18s - Also waiting for a turbo upgrade.
    2011 AWD Territory - White and Slightly lowered on 22s - The tow car.
    2011 RWD Territory - Black on black and slammed on 22s - The family transporter.

keh ??

do you mean the down pipe has to be removed to delete and add a hi flow cat ?????

The first cat is in the engine bay, not something you should be trying to cut without without removing it first.

The first cat is right up behind the engine, and as others have mentioned the downpipe assembly needs to be removed to access it, I did the following mods to my exhaust prior to my downpipe, these mods offered slight performance gains, and while I never heard it from outside, I have been told the car acquired a better note as well.

-Removal of the second cat and a section of straight pipe fitted in its place, this is OK with emissions as the first (primary) cat remains and is the one doing the work, the engine felt a bit more eager after this mod.
    You can probably have an entire replacement pipe made up if you want to avoid cutting up your factory cat.

-The large baffle muffler, near the rear wheel was removed and a smaller single chamber sports style muffler was fitted in its place (chamber mufflers sound a little deeper, and will sound less raspy than a straight through), the 2 resonators remained as they offer very minimal restriction and help keep the cabin noise down, it is audible in the cabin, but not much louder than stock.

why would anyone buy a CBE.... haha unless this costs the same... i mean from what you read a CBE does nothing pergormance wise and is just extra noise... as this is....

rear resonator and muffler removed...

[YOUTUBE]_v6hJ94cemc&NR=1[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]5a-x9IG1kyg&feature=channel_page[/YOUTUBE]

any idea how much that would cost to do ??

That's pretty much what mine sounds like......It cost me around $100 to have the muffler removed and the pipe fitted. Pretty happy with it actually.

I know doing the full exhaust isnt cheap but there wont be doubt in your mind it was worth every penny. The only part that sucks is how expensive is installation.

yea well for 100 to 150 bucks i would be pretty happy with the note that comes out of the resonator and muffler removed ... !!

I've read that replacing the mid / test pipe with a straight through piece gives you a really sweet deep exhaust note with the rest of the exhaust stock. Has anyone tried this?

i think to get the deeper note you need to do like the above have done and delete your resonators or muffler.... there the ones deadening the sound...note might change a bit with straight pipe but i cant imagine much.. slight increase in performance though due to less restriction !!

im going to get a few quotes to do this in next few day... just sorting out home loan first !! arrrggghhhh

Was planning on getting some quotes myself...sooner or later...let me know if you beat me too it.

so is the second cat pretty much under the car ?? the street unit picture on there website has it up a bit ?? when i looked under its looks to be pretty much under and exposed ?? am i looking at right thing?

yeah thats it

I got the two rear mufflers removed and chucked a cannon on the back.......Cannon FTW

Im ready for the flames....Ricer girl...oh show us ya coffee tin...blah blah ive heard it all before.....the reason for the cannon was because i find the rear of the MPS3 to be very average looking and i think that the cannon makes it look a little fatter

Oh and i think it sounds good too

Now we know why you dont take your baby out much

Quote Originally Posted by Nirvandan View Post
    Now we know why you dont take your baby out much

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast