User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Mazda 6 MPS Strange Rear diff issue

Quote Originally Posted by Axspeed6 View Post
    always get new when buying axles dont go second hand or referb as they will fail faster, this is coming from a mate of mine who does referb axles/driveshafts

In australia we call axles = driveshafts and driveshafts = prop shafts
    in america is the other way round axles are axles and driveshafts are driveshafts
    And tailshaft is what the cops do to you?

Chris.
    '05 MPS 6, Liquid Silver Metallic, Leather, Sunroof.

DashHawk, TurboSmart Dualport, COBB SF SRI and TIP, CPe REM, 2XS Titanium SSP, Coolant bypass,
    Exedy OEM spec clutch, Corksport SS Braided Clutch Line, ROH Mantis 18*7.5+45.

Growing old is compulsory... Growing up is optional...

2. Default

Hahaha Chris! Last time I got tailshafted by a good looking female cop, so it wasn't too bad, until she emptied my wallet... but how is that different to any other chick!
    Have yet to be tailshafted in the MPS

I ended up going to Mazda and getting a replacement and installation. It wasn't too bad, given that the single shaft plus install was only $1050. Cheaper than replacing both with HD axles which I wasn't prepared to pay.
    So after the replacement, I noticed something. I had a long hard think about it, and realised that the left rear axle must have been partially rooted when I bought the car from the previous owner, but I never picked up on it and he didn't know about it. When I bought the car it would always make a clunk noise when turning left at low speeds and taking off, which is now completely gone after the driveshaft has been replaced. When I first bought it, I got under there and had a thorough look and the boots of all the CV joints were not twisted so I couldnt tell if the joints were screwed through a visual inspection. Funny enough, I found the previous owner's profile on this forum and he noticed the same thing and tried with no luck to figure out what the problem was (people were telling him it must have been a sticky handbrake or something!). This makes me think that under normal circumstances, planting it in second gear at 40-50kph (like I did last weekend) would NOT break the CV joint in the axle, and since I don't launch, I should be pretty safe with a new one installed and not worry about it breaking again.

Sorry about the long post. Just wanted to thank all the smart car folk on here for helping me out with this one! I need to shout you Melbourne folks who helped me a coffee/beer at the next meet.

Oh, and also, [SPOTTED], a silver 6 MPS exactly the same as mine, up on the hoists at Essendon Fields Mazda on Thursday the 23rd of August! Whoevers she is, hope it is all good!

-Pete

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123