User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mazda 6 MPS Strange Rear diff issue

HPF does

also, i believe it only engages under load... which is why when you hoist car up, only front wheels will spin, rears wont

The rear diff is LSD, so when you go around a corner and the outer wheel has further to travel than the inside wheel, the LSD will wind up the broken axle and do more damage.

Quote Originally Posted by Axspeed6 View Post
    yes its in operation all the time i know but the level of torque output through the diff varies depending on two things, this is only if DSC/traction control is on, if its on the the 4WD control computer will adjust the torque out put to the rear and power to the engine via the throttle thats why its electronic to control understeer or oversteer esp noticed during hard or wet weather cornering (this is in the workshop manual) and depending on surface traction, if dsc is off its on 100% all the time
    If you have access to an oscilloscope i recommend taking a look at the diff coupling control circuit to see how it actually works. If you're into that stuff like I am I'm sure you'd find it interesting.

Gone to Volvo

There is still a mechanical relation and break away torque on in put of the diff, even if a % of drive to the rear isn't required there is still enough friction to drive the rear wheels much like the relation of the driven wheels of a limited slip diff.

Quote Originally Posted by SarcasticOne View Post
    HPF does

also, i believe it only engages under load... which is why when you hoist car up, only front wheels will spin, rears wont
    Every man should have a V8 ute.....with a Chev badge.....and a Southern Cross sticker! Mods? What mods?

As far as seen under my car there is no LSD between my two rear axles, correct me if Im wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by kmh001 View Post
    The rear diff is LSD, so when you go around a corner and the outer wheel has further to travel than the inside wheel, the LSD will wind up the broken axle and do more damage.
    Every man should have a V8 ute.....with a Chev badge.....and a Southern Cross sticker! Mods? What mods?

Intech Motorsport in Werribee has had experience with (one) MPS 6... they did my clutch recently

Can supply details if required... (maybe I should write up a quick blurb on them)

Cheers,

Chris.

7. Default

Hi Chris,

That would be great if you could! Also, HPF have seen my car before, as the previous owner had the exhaust system installed by them and they did a smashing good job of it too! But definitely do the write up for me if you could so I can scope out who would do a better job.

Cheers,

-Pete

Quote Originally Posted by MPS2NV View Post
    As far as seen under my car there is no LSD between my two rear axles, correct me if Im wrong.
    the diff is a super-LSD type diff, the LSD working are inside your diff
    05 VR 6 MPS LUXURY - WHATS STOCK????
    Winner of Most modified @ Smokeys car meet
    UP an coming events: Winton Track day 17th December

Remember pay by the 16th of November and get free lunch and drinks on day
    Next install: New Head, ARP Studs, Upgraded VVT, BSD, Mazdaspeed Coil Cover, Injector seals + studs

the diff is a super-LSD type diff, the LSD working are inside your diff
    Explain... Please

Default Mazda 6 MPS Strange Rear diff issue

Quote Originally Posted by MPS2NV View Post
    Explain... Please
    http://img249.imageshack.us/img249/4...0pxhanson4.jpg

Sent from my evil apple using TapaCrash
    Fast: RayD Tune|COBB AP|JBR|Stratified|CP-e|Xforce|Autotech|Denso|Corksport
    Turn: Bilstein|Eibach|Whiteline|JBR|Hankook RS3
    Stop: Wilwood 4pots|Custom lines|DBA T3|Remsa|TRW 600
    Rice: JL|Alpine|Focal|MiniDSP|Rota g-force|2XS|Cree|Celestial Blue FTW!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	diff.jpg 
Views:	441 
Size:	127.0 KB 
ID:	12049

Just realized I posted the following without checking prior posts so I am late into this chat....

But it looks to me like a broken axle inner end or most likely the CV joint cups and/or balls have cracked - that will give you a nice intermittent rattle and lots of bits in the grease inside the rubber boot. I'd be getting a new one of those with a new axle (or axle set) too, as it is all deformed.

Do not drive the car. The rear wheels will still rotate this axle, you will probably mess up the boot and there is a risk of dropping the rotating axle onto other parts, and having it flail around will not do anything good.
    Last edited by Doug_MPS6; 20-08-2012 at 12:23 PM.
    CP_e Standback & PNP; CP_e 3" SS Downpipe; Corksport FMIC with Top-mount K&N filter & OEM Ram CAI; Turbosmart BOV; Dashhawk; Prosport Boost Guage; JBR solid shift bushes; DBA 4000 Wiper-Slot front rotors; Hawk Ferro-Carbon HPS Street front brake pads (@ 69,000km); Sumitomo HTRZIII's in 225/45 x 18

There ya go, is an LSD, thought Mazda were just pissing in the wind

14. Default

Lol thanks Doug, I figured as much. Sourcing a second hand rear left axle on its own seems to be an impossible task. I have been calling around all morning and nobody seems to have any or know where to find them.

Does anyone know any parts shops/wreckers that may be able to sell me a second hand rear left axle?

15. Default

I keep calling it an axle and all the diff mechanics keep laughing at me. Apparently the words I am looking for are: Drive shaft CV Joint. Don't I feel silly

Well, don't stress it too much, for it is really an axle, but in this case a half-shaft, required as the diff itself is fixed to a subframe and incapable of movement to accomodate suspension articulation. The CV joint is its mode of connection and articulated drive fitting at one (or sometimes both) ends, that provides articulation as well as constant rotational velocity, as denoted by "CV". A lot of people refer to the inner and outer assembly of a "conventional" live axle assembly as an axle too, and differentiate (no pun intended) when necessary between the inner driven part as an axle and the outer standing part as the axle housing or differential casing (as required).
    CP_e Standback & PNP; CP_e 3" SS Downpipe; Corksport FMIC with Top-mount K&N filter & OEM Ram CAI; Turbosmart BOV; Dashhawk; Prosport Boost Guage; JBR solid shift bushes; DBA 4000 Wiper-Slot front rotors; Hawk Ferro-Carbon HPS Street front brake pads (@ 69,000km); Sumitomo HTRZIII's in 225/45 x 18

Time for a 9inch with a full spool

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	diff.jpg 
Views:	441 
Size:	127.0 KB 
ID:	12049
    Just a cone type lsd from a million years ago, gunna have to check the break away torque on mine, think its suss.

Here's a suggestion. Only after spending a bomb on HD axles from the states did I bother pulling my second failed axle apart to discover that the inner CV is splined onto the axle. Therefore, assuming your axle failure is the same as the others and is actually a failure of the inner CV cage rather than the axle shaft, it may be possible to find a replacement inner CV joint to repair the original axle. I haven't done the research so I don't know if inner CV's are available for these axles. But if you can find one it will be a lot cheaper than a whole new axle.

Gone to Volvo

always get new when buying axles dont go second hand or referb as they will fail faster, this is coming from a mate of mine who does referb axles/driveshafts

In australia we call axles = driveshafts and driveshafts = prop shafts
    in america is the other way round axles are axles and driveshafts are driveshafts

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast