User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fibreglass Rear Wheel Sub Install

Default Fibreglass Rear Wheel Sub Install

Today since im on holidays i will spend it fibreglassing a sub box. lots of people talk about doing it but no one has to my knowledge, I have .. Holds 16litres of volume, which to my suprise was more than i was after!! So you can even mount 12' sub in it, The catch is you only have a mounting depth or 4-4.5'... No loss of boot space and its not seen
    Here is some pic of progressAttachment 11974Attachment 11975Attachment 11976 I have 5 coats of fibreglass.
    Last edited by RedDjinn; 16-08-2012 at 05:05 PM.
    Many want Power not many hold it long.........

man you are so talented Luke!!!!
    Lookin forward to seeing the end product!

What can't you do??

Yes. I cant spell/type well @SarcasticOne.. When comes to hand on car/building im yet to have issue

---------- Post added at 11:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:56 PM ----------

As MPS owners we are all after every KG saved.. I will weigh things up as i go

Nice job. How much room do you have between the wheel and the floor? Could you fit an mdf spacer and get a bit more room without hitting the floor?

I have a similar setup but with a slightly raised floor and fits a 12" Polk sub (4 5/8" mount depth) with room to spare above and still a bit of room between the pole vent and the base.

Sent from my evil apple using TapaCrash

Attachment 11985Attachment 11986There is almost 5' to top. The top side (closest to seats) is about level with floor, bottom side (closest to boot) floor will need packing up about 15-25mm..

this sub is a Monacor 10' http://www.soundlabsgroup.com.au/p/M...0CTC+2+x+8+Ohm I use in my home HIFI it has 5' depth and clears with extra
    Last edited by RedDjinn; 17-08-2012 at 08:32 PM.

If you didnt want to raise the floor you can mold to fit firther into wheel. As there is heaps of volume for the sub to work, as my 10' only need 8ltrs and mounting depth of 75mm for top mount. SO you can take a inch from the height

What im going to do is cut the MDF to fit firther down into mold
    Last edited by RedDjinn; 17-08-2012 at 02:06 PM.

Pulsar 10 Ultraflat Dual Coil Subwoofer

Attachment 11987 This is the sub im using.. weighs 2 kg lol but box weighs 6kg Best part is this sub is still removable
    Last edited by RedDjinn; 17-08-2012 at 02:07 PM.

Final Pics for the dayAttachment 11997Attachment 11998 I recessed the top in so no more lifting the floor I fibreglassed it in. Its now 25mm lower , box only sits 4-6mm higher than the wheel. You could get it level with your wheel if you cut the fibreglass off the top, BUT leaving it will make it easier to get out .. best thing is it 15mm lower sub is 12mm high so theres 3mm between sub and boot floor.

Final weight of box is spot on 5kg
    Last edited by RedDjinn; 17-08-2012 at 04:51 PM.

The volume is now 11-12ltrs from 16ltrs, so the 10' will sound a bit more puncher

Ha, that's turning out well, and at 5kg that's awesomely light. Your fiberglassing skills are much better than mine. Lol Love the funky MPS logo.

I like the flush look, but I have some other stuff under there that needs the extra room atm so don't mind having my floor raised.

Curious to see how that little sub goes with 500w (assuming youre wiring in paralell) in a small sealed box, should be very punchy.

How are you attaching it to the car? Does it have the bolt built into it, or is it just sitting in the wheel?

Fast: RayD Tune|COBB AP|JBR|Stratified|CP-e|Xforce|Autotech|Denso|Corksport
    Turn: Bilstein|Eibach|Whiteline|JBR|Hankook RS3
    Stop: Wilwood 4pots|Custom lines|DBA T3|Remsa|TRW 600
    Rice: JL|Alpine|Focal|MiniDSP|Rota g-force|2XS|Cree|Celestial Blue FTW!

Quote Originally Posted by Lachlan View Post
    Ha, that's turning out well, and at 5kg that's awesomely light. Your fiberglassing skills are much better than mine. Lol Love the funky MPS logo.

I like the flush look, but I have some other stuff under there that needs the extra room atm so don't mind having my floor raised.

Curious to see how that little sub goes with 500w (assuming youre wiring in paralell) in a small sealed box, should be very punchy.

How are you attaching it to the car? Does it have the bolt built into it, or is it just sitting in the wheel?

I will be using 2 straps that wrap around spare wheel.

Attachment 12031Heres me fooling about :P.. Its almost done! need to put in wire connections, dampening material and mount new sub

Attachment 12032Attachment 12033Attachment 12034Attachment 12035

Thats it done. Tomorrow the sub will arrive , run it in and bung it in

Awesome work mate, that's exactly what I had in mind when I bought my new set up... just need time to complete it now

Quote Originally Posted by Justin View Post
    Awesome work mate, that's exactly what I had in mind when I bought my new set up... just need time to complete it now
    Ok, I think your sub is a bit too deep. What model sub is yours?

Soundstream SW-12SE Arachnid Series 12 Subwoofer - $142.00 Is this it @Justin, if so you will have to raise your floor at least 15mm

Yeah, That's pretty much it, mine's dual 2ohm though... raising it 15-20mm isn't a problem

Hey Luke,
    Loving this idea man..so much so i'm getting a quote from a guy to supply, fabricate & install (because i have nil talent ). I did only have a small budget though of $800-. Wondering what you think about the sub and amp he's quoted. Also just on securing the spare wheel, i'm wondering whether the spare wheel bolt/clamp from a standard 3 (non sub set-up) would work to hold this place?

Anyways your feedback on the above would be awsome!
    Bob

1600 Watt Monoblock Amplifier (CA-AM10900) | FUSION Electronics

Last edited by LRRH; 06-09-2012 at 01:25 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast