User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eliminating annoying noises

Default Eliminating annoying noises

My MPS6 had developed an orchestra of annoying noises from the front end, mostly when cold. One particular noise sounded like a failure of the drivers side engine mount.

I took it out for a squiz but it looked ok. There was a small tear in the rubber doughnut but nothing serious. Gave it a silicone drench and put it back together and the noise is gone. I love simple solutions like that.

Also gave the CV boots and other rubber bits a hit of silicone spray for good measure.

Another simple solution presented itself while I was lubing the engine mount: The power steering return line curves under the engine then rises vertically to the pump. There's about a metre of unsecured hose. It had obviously been swinging from side to side causing a knocking noise. It was also rubbing a hole through the radiator hose outer sheath. A heavy duty cable tie took care of that noise.

Gone to Volvo

Blog Entries

I found my Maz was the same, pretty much had all sorts of squeeks and what not. Same solution as well, worked like a charm.

3. Default

Ive had a range of knocks, rattles and vibes in my 3MPS. The worst one was straight after the SU REM installation and the dash felt like it was falling apart. The noise was coming from in behind the stereo, and after Maz pulled it apart to install the ipod connector, they zip tied all the cables, and put some cloth packing in behind to settle it all down. After 5000km the vibes from the REM are gone, but theres still noise from other places which started even before the REM install..

These "other" noises include:

1. front & rear shock rattles when going over speed bumps (Maz couldnt fix it, so I replaced the whole suspension with TEIN superstreets. Turns out the end links were totally Fcuked after only 9,000km... Thanks Maz for making me spend $2k to fix that problem!!! Aholes)
    2. vibe noise from the seat belt indicator surround above the rear view vision mirror (kinda fixed)
    3. glove box vibe against the dash (still there)
    4. centre console lid vibe (still there)
    5. seatbelt clasp squeeks (fixed with WD40)
    6. seat belt tower vibes (belt towers had to be replaced)
    7. steering rack rattles (replaced whole steering rack under warranty)

So.. dont think you're alone. We are all suffering some sort of anoying rattle, et al..

Blog Entries

Default Stickied

I think this thread is worthy of a sticky.
    Pls document what you have done, or mazda have done to resolve the noise.

I had the annoying seatbelt indicator shroud one....a thin piece of foam wedged under the rear of the assembly did the trick for this one.
    Dealer tried reseating it and made it worse, so the foam was my DIY fix.

Gearbox whine (woong-woong)- mostly when cold at or near full lock- this is apparently the differential more so than the gearbox as such - Penrite SYN75W90 gearbox oil - I think I have the spec right there. Do double check with maz - they'll cover this one as warranty - they did for me...

Clack-clack opening / closing front doors - this was the door tensioner (not the hinges) bolts having worked loose - get 'em tightened up, all good. Had a front end bingle, eh?

Knock from rear on bumps etc - rear sway endlinks need tightening - another warranty one.

High-pitched hum on forward movement of the vehicle - check all your disks for small gravel rocks that is sitting in/on/between the caliper and disk - anywhere in the assembly. I'd checked all mine after a minute or two/few hundred meter incidence of this high pitched hum on forward movement, went to the dealer with it, asked for a quick spot check, in about two minutes he spotted a little rock that was sitting in one of the rear brake assemblies - got it out with a pen...so if you think you can't see anything, check again.
    Last edited by Nexus; 25-04-2009 at 10:03 AM.

Does anyone know how to remove the cover from the sub on the rear parcel shelf? The bose badge in the centre of the cover is sending me messages in Morse code and I'd like to hit it with a drop of glue to shut it up.

Here's another one - ever notice a metallic noise when you drive beside a concrete wall with the window down? If you have stock wheels try a couple of spots of silastic behind the centre cap of the wheels. It should dampen the rattle but still allow the fitter to take the caps off to do a wheel balance.

Gone to Volvo

Pollen filter is a common rattle.

After the 20000 and 40000 service you will have a new filter, which will probably rattle.

If you're me you will spend weeks chasing it around, remove the head unit/HVAC and foam wrap all the extra wires etc in the for aux inputs, pcs, screens etc.

So, if you ever have a rattle from the glovebox or "behind the stereo", especially at low revs/crusing down a hill at low speed check it out first.

The filter is located behind the glove box which pops out by squeezing the top corners in. Fixed with a blob of bluetac.

The rattle drove me NUTS!

Quote Originally Posted by Wardski View Post
    Ive had a range of knocks, rattles and vibes in my
    These "other" noises include:

1. front & rear shock rattles when going over speed bumps (Maz couldnt fix it, so I replaced the whole suspension with TEIN superstreets. Turns out the end links were totally Fcuked after only 9,000km... Thanks Maz for making me spend $2k to fix that problem!!! Aholes)

2. vibe noise from the seat belt indicator surround above the rear view vision mirror (kinda fixed)
    3. glove box vibe against the dash (still there)
    4. centre console lid vibe (still there)
    5. seatbelt clasp squeeks (fixed with WD40)
    6. seat belt tower vibes (belt towers had to be replaced)
    7. steering rack rattles (replaced whole steering rack under warranty)

So.. dont think you're alone. We are all suffering some sort of anoying rattle, et al..
    The two in red interest me mr Wardski

Out of interest what was the Steering Rack Rattles ? where did they sound like they were coming from and under what conditions..

Which Endlinks needed replacing..? Sway bar ones?

would urethane resolve that situation?

Cheers man

Cant decide weather or not i want to put up with Vibes from a motormount for 5000kms

Quote Originally Posted by kmh001 View Post
    My MPS6 had developed an orchestra of annoying noises from the front end, mostly when cold. One particular noise sounded like a failure of the drivers side engine mount.

I took it out for a squiz but it looked ok. There was a small tear in the rubber doughnut but nothing serious. Gave it a silicone drench and put it back together and the noise is gone. I love simple solutions like that.

Also gave the CV boots and other rubber bits a hit of silicone spray for good measure.

Another simple solution presented itself while I was lubing the engine mount: The power steering return line curves under the engine then rises vertically to the pump. There's about a metre of unsecured hose. It had obviously been swinging from side to side causing a knocking noise. It was also rubbing a hole through the radiator hose outer sheath. A heavy duty cable tie took care of that noise.
    A plethora of similar noises have been emitting from my beast over the last month, so being a little bit time challenged I asked my friendly Mazda service department to have a look. Left it with them most of the day and they couldn't find anything broken and all the mounts appeared intact, so they re-torqued most of the bolts (service dude wasn't specific) and advised that they would check them again at the 50K service (which is about 3k away)

Driving home and thinking, "this feels pretty good" pushed her a little off the lights and through some bends and thinking, "this is almost as good as new" So I get home with a big on my face and Mrs Shakespeare asks why I am so happy? Well what could I say, except "I love my car again", I then get the whole eyes being rolled and the "whatever" look, but I'm happy
    R36 - Just like an MPS6 except with a growly V6

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by shakespeare View Post
    A plethora of similar noises have been emitting from my beast over the last month, so being a little bit time challenged I asked my friendly Mazda service department to have a look. Left it with them most of the day and they couldn't find anything broken and all the mounts appeared intact, so they re-torqued most of the bolts (service dude wasn't specific) and advised that they would check them again at the 50K service (which is about 3k away)

Driving home and thinking, "this feels pretty good" pushed her a little off the lights and through some bends and thinking, "this is almost as good as new" So I get home with a big on my face and Mrs Shakespeare asks why I am so happy? Well what could I say, except "I love my car again", I then get the whole eyes being rolled and the "whatever" look, but I'm happy
    I'm hoping to get a similar result, as mines in at the moment with front knocks and a tap. Last week front left shock replaced, front left and right bump-stops replaced. And while this obviously tightened up the front end - turning right had gotten to feeling sloppy thanks to shock - it hasn't solved a knock and tap.

The tap sounds like engine mount to me - on engage of clutch / lift off at higher revs low gear. Had an SP23 with identical noise - engine mount.

The knock however appears to be suspension, seemingly left side, however having replaced a shock and bump stops, it is persisting. Been in today and still there, so fingers crossed for tomorrow...

The engine mounts have been re-torqued etc so I'd be betting that they've solved the tap, but the knock is persisting...

my seat is starting to squeak.. thats really annoying.

Cupholders are "creaking". Thats annoying too

12. Default

Quote Originally Posted by remotegt View Post
    my seat is starting to squeak.. thats really annoying.
    My drivers side squeaks too ... so I totally attacked it with WD40 on the weekend. I WD40'd both driver and passenger seatbelt stalks sprayed it right along the rail the seat slides back and forward on and slid the seat back and forward like a dozen times to work the sucker in .... seat doesnt squeak anymore but geez my car stunk like wd40 for the whole week
    Taken my boring, bland, lame Subaru and my fat ass and driven off into the sunset with a smile on my face

13. Default Squeaking and creaking front passenger side

My Mazda 6 MPS has jsut developed a creaking and squeaking noice that sounds like it's comming from the front right side of my car. It doesn't seem to do it at normal speed but as soon as you slow down around 20 km/h or slower you start to hear the noise, especially when driving up a driveway at around 10 km/h. It sometimes goes awaay for a couple of days then comes back again. i took it to a mechanic but he couldn't work it out, checked the brakes and tightened a few things but no luck.

Squeaking noises that seems to come from the back or middle of the car whenever going a uneven piece of road....check the rear seats have been put in their upright place (with a proper click and rear seat button comes back up) after transporting stuff with the back seats down.

That drove me nuts for awhile there too

Quote Originally Posted by mollyoo View Post
    My Mazda 6 MPS has jsut developed a creaking and squeaking noice that sounds like it's comming from the front right side of my car. It doesn't seem to do it at normal speed but as soon as you slow down around 20 km/h or slower you start to hear the noise, especially when driving up a driveway at around 10 km/h. It sometimes goes awaay for a couple of days then comes back again. i took it to a mechanic but he couldn't work it out, checked the brakes and tightened a few things but no luck.
    Try checking the drivers side engine mount, this is one of the oil filled type of mounts and has been known to make noises - see kmh001's first post

Quote Originally Posted by mech81 View Post
    Squeaking noises that seems to come from the back or middle of the car whenever going a uneven piece of road....check the rear seats have been put in their upright place (with a proper click and rear seat button comes back up) after transporting stuff with the back seats down.

That drove me nuts for awhile there too
    The MPS 6 rear seat wasn't meant to be folded, but can be done so if you know how, but requires removing the trim in the boot, so most likely not a problem for most us!
    R36 - Just like an MPS6 except with a growly V6

Quote Originally Posted by shakespeare View Post

The MPS 6 rear seat wasn't meant to be folded, but can be done so if you know how, but requires removing the trim in the boot, so most likely not a problem for most us!
    Should have mentioned it before.... this is for the MPS3 for those of us who own one...

Well I started my car this arvo and got a rattle, thought it was the aircond and turned it off and still there,but when I drove off out of the carpark it disappeared????????? Anyone could it be a engine mount felt the noise was close to the fire wall....

GEt the car up on a hoist if you can, and shake the car How we found out some loose bolts etc on my R

19. Default

not sure if this is the right thread.. but i've been hearing a clicking sound when giving the car a squirt in first and second but doesnt continue throughout the other gears.. also happens when i gear back down into second.. and if i quickly throw it into reverse it make the same sound... at first thought it was cv's so when i took it in for it's 20,000 service told them about the noise i was hearing but the useless pricks said that they check the cv's and there's nothing wrong with them and they reckon they took the car for a drive and didnt hear the noise... now i will admit when you drive the car normally the noise cant be heard... not sure if anyone has heard of this happening or have had the same problem...

can anyone help or am i best off taking it back to mazda and taking them in a drive in it?

If it's a 6 my initial suspicion would be directed at the drivers side engine mount. They account for a lot of "noises" in these cars. Dunno if it's the same with the 3 tho.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast