User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dan's Garage - 2012 VW Scirocco R - Grey

Default Dan's Garage - 2012 VW Scirocco R - Grey

This weekend saw me look after the first in a pair of new VW Scirocco R's. The second (white) will be in a couple of weeks time.

This one was in for a minor correction and sealant. The car had less than 1600kms on the clock and there were some minor issues from the pre-delivery detail that needed rectifying . These included some swirls and scratches that were missed. Some light buffer trails in the passenger side rear quarter. Plus a mess of polish residue on the plastics and lodged ion panel gaps etc.

I should also note that the owner has wasted no time in visiting APR for a stage two tune, as has his friend with the white Scirocco. These are some serious machines.

Residual polish from the pre-delivery detail still on panels and caught in panel gaps

Also polish residue embedded in the plastics and all over the rubbers

A foam pre-wash to kick things off

Wheels before

Wheels After

Nasty RID (scratch) across the roof missed by the dealer

Removed with a two stage polish

Light marring as can be seen under direct light

Corrected out

Close up of paint clarity

Plastics and rubbers restored back to factory finish

Sealant paint protection applied and curing

Final inspection after two layers of sealant and a collective 18hrs curing time (inc overnight)

Gloss black highlights. Looks awesome but will be a challenge to keep this way.

Some outdoor shots. Pity the sun wasn't out today though

I like big butts and I cannot lie....

Time taken, 13 hrs

Thanks for looking
    Last edited by Caffeine Fiend; 12-08-2012 at 09:19 PM.
    Caff Mobile Mk1 - 2010 Aluminum Gen II | 2XS SRI | H&R Lowered Springs | cpe 75 Duro Engine Mount | Whiteline Rear Swaybar | Moog "Problem Solver" Rear Endlinks | 3M Carbon Black Tint | Lakin Custom Plates | Opti-Coat Paint Protection | Paint Correction by Me - SOLD

Caff Mobile Mk2 - 2008 BMW Z4M Coupe - Sapphire Black Metallic | Stock....for now

Your work just seems to get better and better....

3. Default

I joined this forum just to read your write up and see the pics!! Love ur work. Can't wait to bring my candy white RocR to ur garage.

How did you get the black plastic and rubber bits looking good? My GTI has exactly the same problem from the pre-delivery, polish residue all over them.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by Ski82 View Post
    Your work just seems to get better and better....
    Thanks man

Quote Originally Posted by RoccoR View Post
    I joined this forum just to read your write up and see the pics!! Love ur work. Can't wait to bring my candy white RocR to ur garage.
    Hi and Welcome RoccoR. Thanks for the kind words

Happy to have a chat with you regarding your new car. White comes up an absolute treat. As you're only at one post at the moment you won't be able to use the PM system, so if you want some info about what I do, pricing etc, please feel free to email me directly at caffeinefiend04@gmail.com

Also don't forget to make yourself an introduction thread. We like to hear from new members

Quote Originally Posted by TD View Post
    How did you get the black plastic and rubber bits looking good? My GTI has exactly the same problem from the pre-delivery, polish residue all over them.

Dan I used Pre-Wow (ZAS). A couple of sprays on a microfibre will help shift it. Otherwise you can use the brush it comes with. You'll need a little patience for stains that have been there for some time, but it should clean them up
    Caff Mobile Mk1 - 2010 Aluminum Gen II | 2XS SRI | H&R Lowered Springs | cpe 75 Duro Engine Mount | Whiteline Rear Swaybar | Moog "Problem Solver" Rear Endlinks | 3M Carbon Black Tint | Lakin Custom Plates | Opti-Coat Paint Protection | Paint Correction by Me - SOLD

Caff Mobile Mk2 - 2008 BMW Z4M Coupe - Sapphire Black Metallic | Stock....for now

Looks awesome as usual, really like these cars! Good work

Thanks Dan for making the rest of us look bad again

Thanks Daz

Lol Brad.... not my intention

9. Default

Hey Dan,

What 2 stage sealant did you use on the Scirocco R?

The GT-R has been coated in an Opti-Coat equivalent and its simply awesome, but looking to the future when I will have to seal it again (in say 8-12 months). I recently ordered some Optimum Spray Sealant (not opti-coat) ,as well as Optimum Spray Wax - just to top it up from time to time between Opti-coat seals.

Cheers in advance.
    Last edited by Wardski; 13-08-2012 at 01:38 PM.

Hi Ward,

Prima Epic sealant, two layers over 18hrs (12 hrs curing for first layer, 6 hrs for the second).

Not sure what you mean by Opti-Coat equivalent? Opticoat is a professionally applied permanent coating, as opposed to a sealant, so unless it's machine polished off it shouldn't need be re-applied/re-sealed

Did you maybe mean Opti-Seal? If so, it's a very good product and worth sticking with if you're happy with it.

The only reason I use Epic (aside from it being a great sealant) is because I like Prima Amigo to go underneath it. I've found Amigo really brings out the fleck in metallic paint beautifully. It also has a slight darkening effect which helps add a touch of depth to metallic and non-metallic paint. I use Epic because I like to keep the glaze and sealant within same family.....cross-linking polymers and all that .

With Opti-coat and Opti-Seal you have to have a bare paint surface. In other words, no glazes like Amigo can sit under it otherwise it won't bond properly.
    Last edited by Caffeine Fiend; 13-08-2012 at 03:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Caffeine Fiend View Post
    Hi Ward,

Prima Epic sealant, two layers over 18hrs (12 hrs curing for first layer, 6 hrs for the second).

Not sure what you mean by Opti-Coat equivalent? Opticoat is a professionally applied permanent coating, as opposed to a sealant, so unless it's machine polished off it shouldn't need be re-applied/re-sealed

Did you maybe mean Opti-Seal? If so, it's a very good product and worth sticking with if you're happy with it.

The only reason I use Epic (aside from it being a great sealant) is because I like Prima Amigo to go underneath it. I've found Amigo really brings out the fleck in metallic paint beautifully. It also has a slight darkening effect which helps add a touch of depth to metallic and non-metallic paint. I use Epic because I like to keep the glaze and sealant within same family.....cross-linking polymers and all that .

With Opti-coat and Opti-Seal you have to have a bare paint surface. In other words, no glazes like Amigo can sit under it otherwise it won't bond properly.
    I know it horses for courses so to speak, but which do recommend seeing I am looking at doing something at the end of the year?

Peter "SLIXX"

Snapped by Tangcla - FB Page
    Currently RaydTuned
    Lots of love from 2XS Racing & Dan's Garage Detailing

For you I'd probably still recommend Opti-coat mate, as it provides the best balance of maintenance vs gloss on a black car..... especially for a daily driver, especially for slightly softer Japanese paint.

Unless you're really chasing ultimate depth, Opti-coat every time. The BIG advantages of Opti-coat is its strength (it's tougher than sealant based paint protection), you don't have to wax, and it's designed to be permanent

But really it's up to you. You've experienced sealant-based paint protection for the last year or so, so you're in a good place to be able to work out whether you go that route again or whether you try the Opti-coat.

Stunning as always Dan, very impressive

Quote Originally Posted by Caffeine Fiend View Post
    Dan I used Pre-Wow (ZAS). A couple of sprays on a microfibre will help shift it. Otherwise you can use the brush it comes with. You'll need a little patience for stains that have been there for some time, but it should clean them up
    Thanks Dan, will go to the ZAS website and check it out.

The car looked good before but it does looks simply amazing after detailing.

You are the Pablo Picasso of detailing!

Lol thanks Al!

And thanks too Kev

Last edited by Caffeine Fiend; 13-08-2012 at 07:55 PM.

Holy Snapper !!!

I wish I knew someone here in TAS with your skills.

What did you use to clean the wheels, if you don't mind me asking ?

Hey Caff. Towards the end of the year I have 1979 Porsche Carrera RS for you to detail.

Lemon yellow with all the decals. It's a recreation from 82 Carrera but it such a head turner.

My brother-in-law is very interested in you eye for detail and services

Peter "SLIXX"

Quote Originally Posted by MPS190 View Post
    Holy Snapper !!!

I wish I knew someone here in TAS with your skills.

What did you use to clean the wheels, if you don't mind me asking ?
    Thanks mate

Um a whole lot of products lol

APC, detergent, Iron x, more detergent, then topped off with Prima Wheel Armor

Quote Originally Posted by slixx View Post
    Hey Caff. Towards the end of the year I have 1979 Porsche Carrera RS for you to detail.

Lemon yellow with all the decals. It's a recreation from 82 Carrera but it such a head turner.

My brother-in-law is very interested in you eye for detail and services

Peter "SLIXX"
    Sounds exciting Pete! I have a real soft spot for older classics. A whole different set of challenges compared to modern cars, but man so much fun to work on and so rewarding

Especially older Euros and American Muscle. Bring it on

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast