User Tag List

Thread: Paint gone!!

Default Paint gone!!

I went to take off my rear number plate to measure up and see what slimline plates would look like (size wise), and discovered that there are major scratches, as in down to the metal it looks like.

If I ordered slim plates for rear the scratches would show dag nab it!

Is there anything that can be done short of respraying entire boot?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC04434.jpg 
Views:	223 
Size:	297.1 KB 
ID:	11939Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC04435.jpg 
Views:	232 
Size:	286.8 KB 
ID:	11938

While we're at it, the front passenger light is going all foggy... anyone know why??? Up until a little while ago it was crystal clear (refer avatar).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC04436.jpg 
Views:	223 
Size:	286.4 KB 
ID:	11940
    Ezy-Flash Pro - GTX2867R - NPC Clutch/Solid State flywheel - Autotech Fuel Pump Internals - ATP 3" TIP - Cobb SRI - NGK Plugs - CPE FMIC - 2XS Dump Pipe/100 Cel Cat - 3" Custom CatBack Exhaust - TRMotorsport MT1 18x8.5's -Michelin Pilot Super Sports 245/40/18 - DBA Slotted Rottors - Remsa Pads - 60mm Boost Gauge in middle vent - Bilstein B8 - Kings - Turbosmart BOV - emblemless front grill - debadged rear - 2WD Switch

Re the scratches, if they're through the clear coat, which it looks well past, there's no polishing them out. They will need to be repainted. A decent touch up repairer should be able to do an adequate enough job without an entire respray being needed.

Re the headlight, looks to me like the UV coating on the lens has gone, causing the fogging. They can be polished clear again but unless they're re-coated it will keep happening.

A coating like Opticoat can be used to restore the UV properties. Not worth trying yourself though unless you have the ability to machine polish it off if the application gets messed up. Otherwise a professional detailer should be able to restore the headlight and add a coating to provide UV protection so it stays that way

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    Caff Mobile Mk1 - 2010 Aluminum Gen II | 2XS SRI | H&R Lowered Springs | cpe 75 Duro Engine Mount | Whiteline Rear Swaybar | Moog "Problem Solver" Rear Endlinks | 3M Carbon Black Tint | Lakin Custom Plates | Opti-Coat Paint Protection | Paint Correction by Me - SOLD

Caff Mobile Mk2 - 2008 BMW Z4M Coupe - Sapphire Black Metallic | Stock....for now

Cheers matey.
    Will have a chat with a local detailer to see what can be done

Sent from my iPhone

Got the same problem with mine.. Need a touch up guy to have a look.

Default Paint gone!!

@Caffeine Fiend
    Hey matey, I went to a smash repair/spray painter in Moorooka that Mazda referred me to and he said about the boot lid that what they would do would be to spot spray paint the areas that needed paint and they would "clear coat" the whole boot lid, what's your opinion?

Sent from my iPhone

Default Paint gone!!

Quote Originally Posted by 99GTT View Post
    @Caffeine Fiend
    Hey matey, I went to a smash repair/spray painter in Moorooka that Mazda referred me to and he said about the boot lid that what they would do would be to spot spray paint the areas that needed paint and they would "clear coat" the whole boot lid, what's your opinion?

Sent from my iPhone
    Mmmm suspect they would spot spray to save time rubbing back to perfect.

What happened?

Peter "SLIXX"

Snapped by Tangcla - FB Page
    Currently RaydTuned
    Lots of love from 2XS Racing & Dan's Garage Detailing

Default Paint gone!!

Quote Originally Posted by 99GTT View Post
    @Caffeine Fiend

Sent from my iPhone
    Mmmm suspect they would spot spray to save time rubbing back to perfect.

Depends what happened, but with I would always recommend rubbing back an start again and blending into adjoining areas

What happened?

Peter "SLIXX"

Snapped by Tangcla - FB Page
    Currently RaydTuned
    Lots of love from 2XS Racing & Dan's Garage Detailing

I wouldn't have thought they'd need to respray clear coat over the entire panel, but then I'm no spray-painting expert.

I would, instead of speaking to a smash repair shop, call one of those mobile spot repair guys. Seems a bit silly for something so small to respray the entire panel.

Default Re: Paint gone!!

@Cton might be able to chip in with advice?

Every time something is painted, you need to clear the whole panel. Or in time the clear edge will show up.
    I would never 'spot repair' my car.

Well there you have it from the mouth of a pro spray painter ^

Yep, that answered that pretty definitively.

The only way I would do a spot in is if it were something like a scratch on the lower end of a bumper bar or something.
    Somewhere down low that will not be seen easily, and where the sun won't break down the clear edge over time.

@Caffeine Fiend

Sent from my iPhone

If it's Scott @ BCM you can be assured he is offering the best advice. Been there a couple of times now for minor & major panel jobs and he's service and work is 2nd to none!
    2XS RACING $ CORKSPORT $ MAGNAFLOW $ ​UNSURE MOTORSPORTS $ COBB $ INJEN $ FULCRUM $ FEDERAL TYRES $ VISUAL GARAGE $ ADVANCED PERFORMANCE CENTRE $ B C M $ NGK $ STRATIFIED $ AUTOTECH $ DBA $ REMSA $ DGR $ MORIMOTO $ JBR $ FUSION

Default Paint gone!!

Quote Originally Posted by MPSBNE View Post
    If it's Scott @ BCM you can be assured he is offering the best advice. Been there a couple of times now for minor & major panel jobs and he's service and work is 2nd to none!
    It was BCM, not really sure what the guys name was. So they're a good bunch hey? Good to know.
    @slixx not sure what happened matey, went to take off my number plate and noticed the scratches. Was not impressed.

Sent from my iPhone
    Ezy-Flash Pro - GTX2867R - NPC Clutch/Solid State flywheel - Autotech Fuel Pump Internals - ATP 3" TIP - Cobb SRI - NGK Plugs - CPE FMIC - 2XS Dump Pipe/100 Cel Cat - 3" Custom CatBack Exhaust - TRMotorsport MT1 18x8.5's -Michelin Pilot Super Sports 245/40/18 - DBA Slotted Rottors - Remsa Pads - 60mm Boost Gauge in middle vent - Bilstein B8 - Kings - Turbosmart BOV - emblemless front grill - debadged rear - 2WD Switch

Yeah mate, you can't go wrong. They give good advice and are not interested in short-cuts. I'm heading back again shortly to have my front bar re-sprayed