User Tag List

Thread: L/H Rear drive shaft

Default L/H Rear drive shaft [SOLVED]

Broke my third L/H rear drive shaft last night so naturally looking for a S/H shaft to get me going again.
    If you happen to have one lying around or know of someone that sells them (Other than Mazda) please let me know.
    Cheers in advance.
    Mat.

Update: Sourced a shaft. Thanks for all the replies.
    Last edited by Pinni; 28-08-2012 at 06:56 AM. Reason: Found a Part

custom = The Driveshaft Shop | Custom FWD Axle Measurements i haven't found any better ones yet for my 6

Yeah I found those ones, and I will look into getting them at some point, but right now I just need to shove a shaft in to get me motoring. Not to mention I'd want a CP-e diff mount in before I put decent ones in to prevent ball cage damage. Cheers for the quick response btw. Looking for rear mps shafts on google or even in here makes them seem like some mythical thing noones ever seen before.

Bought a pair recently to replace my possibly noisy D/S shaft...

Which is the long one and which is the short one?

The inner end joint on the short shaft I got seems a little clunky... :S

I may be able to help...

Cheers,

Chris.

To be honest Victa, I thought they were the same length, but I didn't pay too much attention when I was pulling the balls and bits of broken cage out of the cup so I could drive home. If you could help that would be a godsend. I will have a look and get back to you with which is longer

i have the cp-e diff brace and the turbine tech forward rear diff mount and i havent broken an axle yet

Still running stock mounts here.... half my problem no doubt

When I broke my LR axle a second time I couldnt source a used axle anywhere. A genuine part from Mazda was around $1500 for one axle, or the alternative was a pair of HD axles from the driveshaft shop. They're rated to 500hp with massive 7-ball CVs which make the puny 5-ball stockers look inadequate. I bought them through their Aussie distributor in Kogarah which made it all very easy. Delivered to Perth they were about $1200 for the pair.

Left and right are different lengths. There was no need to replace both axles, i just like to do things properly. You could just replace the LR with a HD unit from the driveshaft shop and leave the RR stock. To my knowledge no one has ever broken a RR axle. Probably cost you around $800 plus install. The part numbers are on their website.

Gone to Volvo

Victa, the shaft I'm after is the shorter of the two, roughly... hard to tell without a hoist. Certainly looks to be shorter but not by much. I tried Pm'ing you but it says your inbox is full, so hopefully you get this. cheer
    Mat

Inbox cleared... must renew that VIP membership...

There is only about 50mm difference between them. the extra is between the rubber block in the middle of the shaft and the inner end.

If the short one is the Passenger side, then I need the long one...

However the short one I have is rather clunky on the inner end joint... as in metal on metal clunk, have not opened the boot up to see what gives. Sounds nasty, but I am no expert... It might be OK, or it might only be marginally bettwer than what you have.

If you are in Melbourne you are wlecome to come and have a look at it in Werribee...

Cheers,

Chris.

---------- Post added at 04:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:21 PM ----------

On closer inspection I think it is stuffed... The boot is potentially the only thing holding it together...

Sorry.
    '05 MPS 6, Liquid Silver Metallic, Leather, Sunroof.

DashHawk, TurboSmart Dualport, COBB SF SRI and TIP, CPe REM, 2XS Titanium SSP, Coolant bypass,
    Exedy OEM spec clutch, Corksport SS Braided Clutch Line, ROH Mantis 18*7.5+45.

Growing old is compulsory... Growing up is optional...

Cheers anyway Victa, was worth a shot. Greatly appreciate your help.

kmh001, don't suppose you have the name for that aussie distributor?

Austrailia

Diff Technics
    27 Production ave
    Kogarah NSW 2217
    Sydney Australia
    Ph: 61 2 9587 9282

Search the driveshaft shop website for Mazdaspeed6 to get the part numbers.

Thanks to everyone who helped out with suggestions and offers, I finally managed to locate a second hand shaft to get me through for the moment. However, I now have the versatune software and waiting for my cable so those heavy duty shafts that kmh recommended will be a necessity.
    Regards
    Mat